Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

How to design a shallow sub enclosure? (newbie question)

8K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  curtisG 
#1 · (Edited)
My home theater layout, which uses an acoustically transparent screen, has a shallow cavity behind the screen. I'm trying to figure out how to design a sealed sub enclosure which would fit in there.

Here's the layout of the room (Note: the sub shown in the bottom right corner of the floor plan is no longer there as it has died):

The area between the AT screen and back wall is only 15", so this doesn't give me many options. I'm hoping to have two 15" subs (or maybe even 18" subs but doubt that's possible due to the size of the ) behind the screen, on each side of the center speaker.

I'm planning on using a separate amplifier to keep the size of the enclosure as small as possible. Amp(s) might be installed either behind the screen or back at the equipment rack.

So my question is how does one go about designing an enclosure where you have a depth constraint on the enclosure? The calculators I've seen posted in the forum don't make it clear how to force a specific depth.

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
So my question is how does one go about designing an enclosure where you have a depth constraint on the enclosure? The calculators I've seen posted in the forum don't make it clear how to force a specific depth.

Thanks
It is completely up to you what dimensions you use for an enclosure.
Simply find out the volume required and then work out a suitable height and depth to suit your available depth.

#6 ·
If 15" depth is all you have what width dimensions are available and height?

Most 18's are 11" and under for depth. So adding double thick 3/4" walls, 1" for venting clearance, 1.5" for flush mounting and 9.5" depth you are looking at 15" on the SI 18". Now the woofer would be flush but if your screen wall material is touching the woofer it may slightly touch it.

Now if you went with the 15" you have another 1.5"'s of clearance so that might be the better option. PLUS they like smaller boxes. SO I would say get as many of the 15's for $170 as you can afford.

#7 ·
If 15" depth is all you have what width dimensions are available and height?
The depth is the only constraint. The other factors (height, width, or weight) are not problematic.

Most 18's are 11" and under for depth. So adding double thick 3/4" walls, 1" for venting clearance, 1.5" for flush mounting and 9.5" depth you are looking at 15" on the SI 18". Now the woofer would be flush but if your screen wall material is touching the woofer it may slightly touch it.

Now if you went with the 15" you have another 1.5"'s of clearance so that might be the better option. PLUS they like smaller boxes. SO I would say get as many of the 15's for $170 as you can afford.
Thanks for the info. Which $170 15's are you referring to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.