Sunfire/Boston Acoustics Frankenstein Experiment - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 36 Old 11-18-13, 05:15 PM

Re: Sunfire/Boston Acoustics Frankenstein Experiment

For what its worth I built my boxes with an internal volume of 1.3 cu ft (the factory recommendation is 1 cu ft). I used the SPG-TR (matched passive radiator) with the SPG-555. I'm not an expert but my understanding is that tuning of boxes with passive radiators is less critical than if using ported or sealed designs. Plus, the SPG-TR is tunable. I did ask the Boston Acoustics tech support team what they thought of the volume. They agreed that it might offer just a bit more low extension, with out resulting in loss of definition. I have not tried them yet, so I cant attest to to the result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 11-18-13, 07:37 PM
Shackster

David Shipside

Hey Nitrofreakman, you're not the only one to use a car sub in your HT. I'm using a 12" Rockford Fosgate in a bandpass box. I'll be posting a build thread sometime in the near future, I will say that I made at least one big mistake building it and the knowledge I gained from reading others threads helped me realize what I did wrong and fix it.

Also it doesn't take a lot of tools build a sub.
It may not end up pretty, but it will sound good.
post #13 of 36 Old 11-18-13, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nid

My System

Quote:
vroentgen wrote: View Post
For what its worth I built my boxes with an internal volume of 1.3 cu ft (the factory recommendation is 1 cu ft). I used the SPG-TR (matched passive radiator) with the SPG-555. I'm not an expert but my understanding is that tuning of boxes with passive radiators is less critical than if using ported or sealed designs. Plus, the SPG-TR is tunable. I did ask the Boston Acoustics tech support team what they thought of the volume. They agreed that it might offer just a bit more low extension, with out resulting in loss of definition. I have not tried them yet, so I cant attest to to the result.
I think you will be quite happy when you try them. I had a feeling that a larger box would yield deeper extension, which, in my opinion, is always good, but I'm no expert by any means. I really have to buy the SPG-TR, it would be nice to have the proper radiator in that box, instead of the Sunfire. I think that the weight that's glued the Sunfire radiator is 3lbs, but don't quote me on that. It seems to do the trick though lol. I need to learn how to use my Umik mic that I bought several months ago, along with REW so that I can do some measurements, just to see how my sound 'looks'. Thanks for your input, let me know how you like them when you get them up and running.

Quote:
Nuwisha wrote: View Post
Hey Nitrofreakman, you're not the only one to use a car sub in your HT. I'm using a 12" Rockford Fosgate in a bandpass box. I'll be posting a build thread sometime in the near future, I will say that I made at least one big mistake building it and the knowledge I gained from reading others threads helped me realize what I did wrong and fix it.

Also it doesn't take a lot of tools build a sub.
It may not end up pretty, but it will sound good.
My apologies if I wasn't very clear..I knew I wasn't the only one using a car sub in my home setup, I've looked at a few threads here that are using them, I just meant the Boston SPG555 sub. When I started the thread, I was really hoping that somebody else had tried that particular sub, and that they could guide me or give me some good pointers to keep in mind, like maybe a a better size for a sealed enclosure that may go even deeper than it already does. I often thought about trying a 2 cu/ft box just to see.

My problem is space and time, I don't have a garage for projects like this, and I work most of my days and evenings, rarely getting home before 10pm, which makes it hard to be productive lol. I also prefer to have it look nice ( WAF friendly :big smile: ), but good performance comes first

I always liked the sound of Rockford bass back in the car stereo days, it will be interesting to hear how you like it once you get in finished. How much power are you pumping into it ?

post #14 of 36 Old 11-19-13, 04:41 AM
Shackster

David Shipside

Oh it's done, it's not pretty, but it's done.
At first I was really disappointed. So I read some more and realized I'd tuned it too low, opened the box back up, trimmed off a foot from each of the four ports, sealed it back up and voila lovely house shaking bass with both music and movies. Mind you my room isn't that big so that might have something to do with it (:

I'm using one channel on a Behringer EP2500 turned up about three quarters on it's dial and subwoofer set to 0 on my Yamaha RX-V1800.
I have to leave it there for movies but can crank both to max for all but the bassiest(I know not a real word eh?) of Dubstep. It's a RFD2112 which is rated at 500/1000 that I picked up used at a pawn shop for $45.00. The manual for the Behringer lists it's output at 1200W which is probably peak.

You can see the open box (with the longer ports) in my picture.

As for WAF, we are living with the ugly brown box until the nice weather returns and I can build something nicer.
post #15 of 36 Old 11-20-13, 06:42 PM

Nitrofreakman...It was quite an effort to track the SPG-TR down...If you email me Ill forward all the emails, numbers and people who took over the Boston stock for the discontinued car audio division. Car audio tech support is in there. Just send an email or PM.
post #16 of 36 Old 11-20-13, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nid

My System

That sounds good, I'll send you a PM..much appreciated!
post #17 of 36 Old 11-20-13, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nid

My System

Wow, talk about fast service, thank-you for sending the information, I'm just about to look at all of it..
post #18 of 36 Old 12-17-13, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nid

My System

I want to thank you again for helping me track down the radiators, you're a good man to go out of your way to help me. I've been wanting to post here to tell you that but have been busy lately. Your help is kindly appreciated.

I emailed Luigi, who then referred me to Chris Stevens, the D&M Canadian rep, who was a very nice and helpful person on the phone, he gave me the email address of Vijee, who was able to give me the prices and take my order. I ordered 2 radiators and a 2ohm voice coil for a total of 130+shipping..pretty awesome if you ask me ( I hope I had the right item numbers lol ).

Now I believe that they ship from the US warehouse to D&M Canada, then finally out to me, so I'm not sure when they get here..the anticipation is killing me. I'll be sure to update my thread when I get them. I really do love this forum, on the other hand, my wallet begs to differ I'm constantly fighting 'upgrade-itis'.
post #19 of 36 Old 12-17-13, 10:06 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #20 of 36 Old 01-24-14, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nid

My System

Quote:
vroentgen wrote: View Post
Nitrofreakman...It was quite an effort to track the SPG-TR down...If you email me Ill forward all the emails, numbers and people who took over the Boston stock for the discontinued car audio division. Car audio tech support is in there. Just send an email or PM.
Well my friend, I want to thank you once again for all of your help! Today this arrived:

It took a while because it had to come from Japan before it was shipped out to me. I still can't believe that I was finally able to get the radiators, and could not have done it without you ( I gave up a long time ago ). I had to go by the wood shop to tell the guy building the box that the hole for the radiator has to change. I can't wait until the box is finished.