First HT DIY Subwoofer for a noob on a budget.. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Re: First HT DIY Subwoofer for a noob on a budget..

550W RMS / 800W Peak Power Handling-- is what I found on the net here at work. I have the actual box insert at home. I could scan and post if it would help. Are you talking about a graph of different info than the one you modeled last night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 12:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

550 RMS is what I need, thanks. The graph I'll post will be of the SPL, with a Bash 300 the sub is nowhere near it's capabilities. Driver related fatigue won't be an issue with 300 watts.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Yes, I'm thinking of trading it in for that Behringer EUROPOWER EPQ1200 (2 x 600 Watts into 4 Ohms) and only running one side till I get the itch for the other sub. Does the amount of power I throw at the sub change the recommended enclosure?

post #14 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

But please continue any efforts basing on the Bash for now. Wife is watching my spending. I'll have to sneak up on the Berri.
post #15 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 12:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

With a pro amp you'll need a subsonic filter for a ported design, either a iNuke DSP or a subsonic add on unit for a pro amp that does't have a subsonic filter. ( also known as a hi pass filter or HPF)

post #16 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Ok. That's like the new write up at partsexpress on the Double Trouble sub build. Your take on this approach? Going the pro amp route vs. plate amps...For a noob like me?

http://www.parts-express.com/project...ontent=Default
post #17 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 02:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The Double Trouble is a sealed design and a HPF is not required. For your ported design you will need one to protect the driver from over excursion below the tuning frequency.

As for the graph, yellow is with the Bash 300 amp, green is with a 1000 watt amp that has a HPF in the 18 - 20 hz range. The gain in SPL is 4-5 db and the cone excursion is still under its rated Xmax.

First HT DIY Subwoofer for a noob on a budget..-coop.jpg

post #18 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

On paper that dosent look like like much, but in reality thats a big deal. nearly like adding a second sub. +6 db for an identically powered second sub, right?
post #19 of 100 Old 07-25-13, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Hope you're still with me Mike. You said 10 cu ft "net volume". If I understand correctly, that means 10 ft plus .2ft for the driver, and how much for the ports and bracing? Thank you again for all your help!
post #20 of 100 Old 07-26-13, 05:40 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

For porting and bracing volumes and help for making your own cabinet design, go here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...me-calculator/

For ideas on a cabinet design click on the Database link in my signature.

If you have any questions on anything, just ask. That's what we're here for.