First HT DIY Subwoofer for a noob on a budget.. - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 100 Old 08-08-13, 03:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: First HT DIY Subwoofer for a noob on a budget..

Larger diameter ports would have a lower port air speed.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 100 Old 08-08-13, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

And the advantage of lower port air speed is strictly limted to the reduction of possible port noise? No timing consequences?
post #33 of 100 Old 08-08-13, 05:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
jeffrobinson wrote: View Post
And the advantage of lower port air speed is strictly limted to the reduction of possible port noise?
Correct.

Quote:
No timing consequences?
No.

post #34 of 100 Old 08-09-13, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Thanks again. For the umpteenth time.
post #35 of 100 Old 08-09-13, 10:22 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Always.

post #36 of 100 Old 08-15-13, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
Mike, I was just gifted a small powered store bought sub. Very small. A Polk Audio PSW10 to be exact. I'm wondering if there is anything to be gained by trying to integrate this into my system. The DIY 15" build you have been so graciously assisting me with is still going to happen. Wondering if this small sub could bring anything to party, perhaps as a filler between the 15"(or 15's) and the small bookshelf mains and center channel. I'm including the specs for the little 10" below and the bookshelfs, just in case there's more to this than a simple "no". Receiver is a Yamaha RX V473.

Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer
Diameter 10" (25.40cm)
Dynamic Balance polymer composite cone
Total Frequency Response 35Hz - 200Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 160Hz kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 40 Hz
Subwoofer Crossover:
variable 80Hz - 160Hz
Inputs:
Speaker Level, Line Level
Outputs Speaker Level
Amplifier Specs:
Distortion <1%
Bandwidth 40Hz - 200Hz
220V Availability Yes
Amplifier Type Subwoofer
Continuous Power 50 watts
Dynamic Power 100 watts
Subwoofer Enclosure Type:
Vented via front panel flared port

Polk T15 Bookshelf Speakers-2 Sets
Total Frequency Response 60Hz-24kHz
Upper -3dB Limit 20 kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 65 Hz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Efficiency 89 dB
Recommended Amplifier Power:
20-100 watts per channel
post #37 of 100 Old 08-16-13, 07:21 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

If you're willing, the PSW10 can offer you an excellent learning experience especially since your needs are for 95% movies. Hook it up to your system, all it needs is a RCA cable from the receiver to the sub amp. Watch a few movies known for low frequency content, get a feel for the low frequencies that it can produce, which will be non existent below 30 hz.
Build your Phoenix Gold sub and watch the same movies. Your Phoenix Gold subs are capable of true 20 hz extension, the difference will be night and day. Search the house for the Polk, it will be found hiding somewhere.

post #38 of 100 Old 08-20-13, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Is there some reason I dont see many cabinets finished with counter top laminate? It would seem like great protection for the mdf..I was planning on using it for my sub to match my exsisting tv stand, but then it clicked to me that I dont see anybody else doing much with it. Am I missing something?
post #39 of 100 Old 08-20-13, 01:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Probably the price I would guess, especially for larger cabinets. The first sub I ever built was an 8 cu.ft. cabinet tuned to 22 hz for a a 15 inch Pioneer TS-W383C sub. It took a full 4' x 8' sheet of black laminate. It looks good.

post #40 of 100 Old 08-20-13, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Cool! I was afraid you were gonna tell me it vibrates off the box eventually. I did notice the price of sheet is more than twice the cost of mdf, but I have a friend...