Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

4 18" 5400's and 8 passives "WOW!"

185K views 447 replies 79 participants last post by  robertcharles123 
#1 ·
#12 ·
Re: 4 18" 5400's and 8 passives "OH MY"

Seriously talking, what will you run as of speakers to keep up with these monster? Also, hope you're walls are sound deadened and are solid or else it won't sound as good, as everything will shake really badly.... just a thought

can't wait for the final result though.

#14 ·

Just a quick entry.

I currently have 16 - 15 inch electrovoice drivers for my mids and 12 electrovoice compression drivers for my highs. Also 6 jbl 2241h doing the bass duty for the mains and center. Also, 6 jbl 8330a's for rear fill along with rear jbl 2241h subs. I am currently not using an effects channel because I am building the new boxes now. As far as what the system will do now. All I can say is above 25 hz, I've been told it is like "train wreck force." The jbl's run out of steam under 25hz. I am so efficient with the horns and 15's that I can easily drive the system over 120 db with only the first yellow indicator on my qsc's blinking-never even lit the red light yet, so I have room to go. I listen to classical music both live and recorded and the speakers really put out with no audible distortion. The dynamic range is phenomenal. But, I have no experience with drivers such as the 5400's. As a matter of fact I still never hooked a wire to them. It will be a brand new experience for me and everyone I know. So I hope I can do these drivers justice. we will see. I will try to load the pictures I have of my rooms and setup later. Hope this answered some of the questions.

Thanks for the interest,
Robert

#20 ·

Between the columns, where the popcorn machine is in the picture and the other one directly across from it, or in the rear or the room for now. I have hookups for them at various locations just in case.

Thanks,

Robert

#25 ·

The room is 20x30 and there is a door at the bottom of the staircase.

Hey Island, How do you like the new sub compared to the old one you were using?
My old sub, 18" Cadence CW18-951-4 in a 12 cu.ft. ported with two 6 inch ports driven by a Hafler bridged 250 watt amp was a power house down to 22Hz then it rolled off sharply. Anything below that was subdued and became pretty muddy.
The Cadence driver was rated to 400 watts, Fs of 16, and xmax of 13mm one way. It was the best I could find back in 1990.
The LMS-5400 18" is rated at 2500 watts, Fs 18, and xmax of 38mm one way! I'm driving it in a 6.8 cubic foot sealed MDF box with braces and driving it with a Crown XTi 4000 in stereo mode @ up to about a 1000 watts!
I put the LMS and sealed box together with the Crown amp last summer and I'm STILL scaring the **** outta myself. The Crown amp gives you so much flexibility with it's parametric DSP that you can virtually make the response curve anything you want including almost flat to 10Hz! Note: I accidentally blew up the Cadence 18" with the Crown amp trying to make it do what the LMS could.
But in addition to mind boggling power, the LMS can be light footed, fast, articulate, and super accurate too. I have yet to see another 18" driver tested with as little distortion as the LMS. My own listening tests are still trying to identify any distortion from this driver. I can't even IMAGINE what you're going to end up with when you're done with the build you've got going. My guess is your EARS will distort and overload long before the LMS even starts to breath hard! And you're going to hear your wife yelling from out in the garage , "TURN IT DOWN!!!" :gah:

#24 ·

I have 100 amps available for the entire system. I am quessing that 40 amps will be enough for LFE duty, but who knows? I will have to experiment and see.

Thanks,

Robert

Oh, I am torn between 2 Rmx 5050's, or now, if I really need to go for broke- 2 crown itech 8000's I will get closer to deciding as the boxes get closer.

#26 ·

My wife never tells me anything about the volume or the shaking. That is not to say she doesn't complain about a host of other things. But, as far as the sound goes, I'm good to go.

Thanks,

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.