Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

My Dual RL-p15 Sealed Design

14K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  Bent 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my intention for my dual 15" RL-p in a sealed config.
2 - D4 RL-p's in a box that stands 46" tall, and 22" by 22" wide.

I'm new to sketch-up, but was wondering about your opinions,
I'll be using my old Adire Audio ADA-1200 to drive it wired for a combined 4 ohm load.

The enclosure will have two internal braces with approx 6" space between each brace, and the front and rear baffles will be tied together with 1/2" dowels to elliminate resonance.
The sketch doesn't show it (again, I'm new to sketch-up), but all walls are to be doubled up 3/4" mdf, including the front baffle which the drivers will be mounted. I intend to recess mount the drivers approx 1/4" in for aesthetics mostly, and the ADA-1200 will sit on the back at a convenient height.

on the plinth, the total height will be approx 49"

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
Naa, I was too pigheaded to ask the neighbor for help.
I was trying to roll it from it's back to it's side on the saw-horses, I did so and then lifted one side of the sub to move the horse back into position. (it was a pair of those hardware store folding units made of metal, not the plastic ones you see holding the building materials in a previous picture. - quite strong when set up, but it started to fold as I moved it...) I didn't notice, and thump.

I've stained the tombstone shape as well as the top with a wipe-on gell stain, as clear as I could find to affect as little colour change as possible, they look really good. I should have done the back and sides in oak ply too (even my wife thought so), but I ran out of oak ply....

Oak corner moldings will adorn all four sides, 1-1/2" oak stuff will do the top, and I'm undecided about the bottom so far.

#29 ·
The Dept. of domestic affairs convinced me yesterday that it would be nicer with oak on the sides and back too - so the project is temporarily on hold until I can match the grain and colour with a new sheet of 1/8" oak veneer core ply.

the picture shows the stained top and the tombstone (but the tombstone isn't yet attached.

#30 ·
I have the first side (left) laminated with the 1/8" oak ply.
I was flush trimming it and had a small tear-out of the oak on the top of the enclosure. It's small, about 1/8" by 1/4", but its right on top at the front left edge.
:hissyfit:

I guess I have to soldier on though, huh?

needless to say, my wife is correct, it looks way better with oak sides.

#32 ·
Looking good Ben. Are you still going to use the tombstone for anything, or has it been rendered obsolete by the new design plan? I know it probably won't be ideal, but can you use wood filler on the little tear? Or maybe the glue-sawdust mixture trick, since you're not planning to change the colour with the stain.

#33 ·
I'm going to still use the tombstone, as it provides some nice visual contrast against the black enclosure face and dresses up the perimeter of the two drivers very well.
My two 15 RL-p's don't have logo's, they have a blank anodized aluminum cone as they were from the early production runs. I really think it's going to look good when I'm done.

I think I can trim a small piece of wood in a shape that will fill the tiny tear out. I'm not so stressed about it today.

#34 ·
since the 1/8 stuff overlapped the edges of the top, I've decided I'm not going to like the way the trim will look with the 1/8" edge being visible right under it.
I'm going to laminate 1 more piece on the top and flush trim it once the other side is dry (which I glued down this evening).

#46 ·
Still looking great. I was about to ask if you had enough room for port clearance before I remembered this is a sealed enclosure. So what's left to do, other than mounting the drivers and firing it up?? Binding posts I guess? Where are you putting them, at the back, or on the bottom?

#47 · (Edited)
I'm still considering putting a few coats of poly over the stained wood.
Binding posts will be installed on the rear of the enclosure, I'll be either routing a pair of side-by-side 3" holes, or hole-sawing the same through the 1.5" of mdf at the rear, and mounting a piece of 3/8" thick plexiglass across the holes from the inside of the enclosure. A pair of binding posts per hole will then installed to wire to each driver. the fact that the plexi is inlo 3/8" thick should be negligible w.r.t. enclosure rigidity as they are only 3" holes rather than a large thin panel. I'll wind up with some nice recessed binding posts that way.

Oh, I also have to get the pig inside the house and into my basement without inflicting damage to either my house or my new subwoofer - that will be a significant challenge in of itself.

#48 ·
Is it complete now? I would like to see some REW measurements upon completion if possible.
Very nice looking job Ben.:T

#49 · (Edited)
It isn't done yet, actually no more done than the last photos show.
I need to coat it in Old Dad's polyurethane, and get it inside.
As well as the terminal connections need to be made.

My service truck has been in the shop for the past week-ands-a-half, and that's where the majority of my hand tools live, so no tools, no progress.

REW measurements would mean me being somewhat computer 'litterate - which I aren't yet. I'll try to get some manual measurements with a borrowed SPL meter though, and post them upon it's completion.

#51 ·
You got it in the house... and finished... and you won't even show us!? :foottap:

How was the move, did you need a few extra bodies and a dolly to get it in? I hope you don't have to play with the position too much once you get it fired up. Speaking of which... did you hook it up yet? Any first impressions?

#52 ·
Pictures should be available tonight - as I couldn't get the batteries charged to do so last night.

I moved it up my front set of steps (about 5 feet rise...) and just about died - it's really heavy. I enlisted a neighbor to help move it down the stairs, and if three people would have fit in the stairwell I'd have used three. (some beers were drank after getting it down the stairs.)

I built a seperate enclosure for my ADA-1200 plate amp, and need to get the terminal blocks installed on it, so I haven't even tested it yet... I have high expectations. I stuffed it with about 6 pounds of poly fibrefill (I'd have used 1pound/ft^3, but it didn't "feel" right using that much.

It isn't in it's final position, but I installed 8 teflon sliding feet las night, so it isn't as tricky to move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.