Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

LG's Wallpaper Television Set to Ship Soon

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  typ44q 
#1 ·

Nearly two years ago, we reported on a seemingly impossible tech invention revealed by LG Electronics called “wallpaper television.” It was an ultra-thin OLED screen that affixed itself to a wall using a thin magnetic mat. At the time, LG indicated the technology would likely be applied to wearable screen and vehicle dashboard segments, with an outside possibility of finding its way into consumer homes. Frankly, the possible seemed nearly impossible, and LG’s gorgeous Picture on Glass OLED televisions stole the show during 2016. The idea of a wallpaper television simply became an afterthought.

Heading into the end of the year, however, the rumor mill began to suggest that LG was poised to reintroduce its wallpaper design at CES 2017. And, the company did not disappoint, officially revealing a new flagship “Signature” line called the W-Series. It features Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos sound, and a razor-thin “Picture on Wall” design.

Yes, folks, they’ve done it. LG is officially bringing the wallpaper design to market. And if you’re skeptical about this being a gimmick, take note now: it’s not. In fact, Best Buy already has the W-Series’ first model (65-inch OLED65W7P) listed for pre-order. A 75-inch model will also be available (but at a later date).

“Led by the LG SIGNATURE OLED TV W-series, our TV lineup at CES 2017 demonstrates our commitment to innovation and leadership in OLED and the premium TV market globally,” said Tim Alessi, head of product marketing at LG Electronics USA. “With Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos integrated into our newest OLED products, viewers can recapture the magic of the cinema and experience their favorite movies with their original clarity, depth and imagination intact.”

David VanderWaal (VP Marketing) introduces LG’s W-Series at CES 2017

Stands need not apply for the W-Series, as it does indeed attach directly to a flat magnetic mounting system. It’s so flat that the television and mounting system protrude mere millimeters from the surface of the wall. The brains of the television are housed in a fancy looking speaker bar system that also offers four HDMI and three USB input slots. A flat minimalized cable connects the bar to the television.

LG says that W-Series meets (and possibly exceeds) the picture performance offered by LG’s 2016 OLED models, which is incredible considering its overall thickness. And of course it offers both HDR10 and Dolby Vision support, in addition to the new backward-compatible HLG HDR standard (which, like HDR10, offers 10-bit color).

The technical merits of OLED are absolutely off the charts, and if your eyes haven’t been treated to one of LG’s OLEDs displaying 4K with HDR, then drop what you’re doing and find a demo. It truly is mind melting. The thought that LG has made a consumer set so incredibly thin and lightweight (the 65-inch weighs only 17-pounds) is flat out amazing.

Is it possible to put in an order for a 110-inch cinemascope sized wall mount screen, please?

One can only dream.

The 65-inch OLED65W7P should begin shipping in March and is currently priced at $7,999.

Image Credits: LG Electronics

See less See more
#2 ·
Only $8000 for a display like this is really not that bad at all! Still out of my reach but certainly many people could jump in on this soon. The creative side of me has all sorts of uses for a display like this. Is it bendable? could it be warped around a large round post for example or mounted on a curved surface?

#7 ·
I think it has some bend... but is only meant to be mounted flat.
This particular TV might only be able to bend somewhat, but OLED panels in general are capable of far more. I've been following this technology for the last decade - no exaggeration - and the ways you can manipulate the display material are amazing. Brilliant colors, low battery draw, malleable, impervious to shock (think phones that no longer shatter when dropped). There are few downside's to OLED, on the consumer side anyway. Manufacturing yields on larger panels can be challenging, but soon that should be a thing of the past.

Reactions: Jon Liu
#8 ·
I'm looking forward to the larger panel size yields improving. While it doesn't necessarily affect me since 65" is plenty big for my space, that will only drive cost for these TVs down lower.

I also am looking forward to seeing how Sony's Bravia OLEDs are priced and how LG will be responding to them, especially if they are equal or lower priced.

Every time I look at pictures of the W series I am just in awe.

#9 ·
Funny, I was thinking the other way, like "I wonder if someone will make a 50" that will be more affordable..." because the only place in the house I'll really benefit from a thin display is the bedroom, where it would be mounted in a high traffic area that I could see myself constantly bumping into if it stuck 3 or 4" out into the room. Something like this would be perfect, but I'm afraid my "bedroom TV" budget isn't quite up as high as $8k. :|

#11 ·
I want to see a wall sized one that is AT... ;)

Reactions: Todd Anderson
#13 ·
If all goes as promised we'll receive our first allocation of 65" W7 Wallpaper 2017 OLED TV the end of February. Hope to see HTF members stop by for a demo. :)

Reactions: Todd Anderson
#15 ·
Yes sir!! :yes:

#16 ·
Not that I am in the market for a TV this expensive but I really do wish that the electronics were not bundled within a soundbar. Offer an optional normal component sized box that does the same thing for people that have no place to stick that bar and no desire to use TV speakers. I have no clue what the speakers in my 5 yr old plasma even sound like and if I purchased that OLED it would likely be the same.

#20 ·
I see your point. I guess they manufacturer to the masses and in this case you'd be stuck with a soundbar.

Didn't Pioneer make TVs with an external box?
Yes! they had a media receiver box that connected to their Elite pro tv's which is essentially what I was talking about for the LG. It is a lot easier to hide something like that compared to that giant sound bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.