Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

KP-61HS10 5 flash on Status Light

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 ·
I have had this tv (Sony KP-61HS10) for many years now and have recently replaced it with another but cant bear to put it out to pasture despite its problem. Im hoping that i will be able to get some suggestions on where to start to keep it as a second tv. I have a few things that are not working correctly.

1. When the tv first is turned on it is out of focus. I used to be able to fix this with the "Flash Focus" feature. Then i found that running the flash focus with a dark cover over the screen seemed to focus it better. Now i just turn it on and leave it for 15-20 min and it seems to be pretty well focused once it has just warmed up. This is more of a pet peave than anything as i can live with letting it warm up a bit before watching.

2. The screen will go off, then return randomly. I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause of this problem although it seems to me that it occures more on screens that have a high white content. The error code i get is 5 flashes on the status light. I am currently using a Satelite dish for my tv feed. I have tried using the different inputs on the tv, as well as a different Satelite reciever and get the same results. It also used to flash while playing video games. I have read on some suggestions on adjusting the flash focus, to replace circuits or boards, and some TSB's for 1080i inputs. But its the next thing that confuses me. When i watch a dvd, (on any of the inputs) i never get a blanking screen or the 5 flash error.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Is problem #1 focus or convergence? Flash Focus only deals with convergence, in spite of its name. If it is focus you likely have aging CRTs.

Problem #2 is classic aging CRTs also. Sony has an auto bias circuit that balances the output from the CRTs to account for aging. When it cannot balance them, it blanks the screen.

Sounds like you have tubes that are old. They may be able to be improved if you can find someone with a Sencore CRT restorer who knows how to use it. The process is a risk, however, as it may make the tubes worse rather than better if the cathodes have little material left.

#3 ·
I think the problem #1 is actualy convergance. you can clearly see three images on the screen expecialy with text. I actualy measued it tonight on a cold start and there are two text images for the VIDEO status and they are 1" offset from each other.

For issue #2 i agree that the CRT tubes are probably old. I have had the tv since 2000. But the part that confuses me is why the problem goes away with dvd source. Both are using RCA inputs. Is there a way to up the output for the old CRT's to account for their aging. Is that what the Focus Block adjusts?

I found using the service manual how to enter self-diagnostics and the only one that has any information is 5 (which i think follows the 5 flashes) it is listed as AKB with a value of 32.

i looked into (but did not adjust) the service mode. Of the items i looked at not many are matching what the service manual has for standard data. Since we are looking towards weak CRT the ones i am curious about are the R Drive (36), G Drive(31) and B Drive(51). These i assume are numbers associated with the power on each color. There is also a coresponding Cuttoff for each color R(50), G(5),B(31). Accoring to the manual standard is 31. Are these even close to what i think they are. It would be nice to fix this to workable without having to even open it up.

Thanks again.

#4 ·
The screen controls (on the focus block) may have some effect. Set the input to one with no signal. Turn up each screen control until you see retrace lines then back off until they are gone. Changing the cuts and drives will balance the gray scale from there but will not affect the AKB error significantly.

If your other problem is convergence and it clears up after warming up you may have a bad solder connection. I would fix that before it creates a larger problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.