Sony rp lcd " blue blob or blue haze" - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Sony
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 17444 - Replies: 6  
Old 06-15-07, 09:02 PM   #1
Joey Skinner
Inactive

Sony rp lcd " blue blob or blue haze"

I have a Sony KF-42WE610 LCD projection TV. Recently the picture has developed a blue haze in the middle of the screen with blue spots at the top. After doing a little research I found that it is the optical block going bad and that this is a very common problem. Sony recognizes that the optical blocks are defective in their projection LCD TVs and will replace them free of charge IF the symptom is what they call "roadmapping" which is a lot of lines that resemble a roadmap. If your symptom is blue haze and/or spots you have to get a diagnosis from an authorized Sony repair shop. Then depending on how persistant you are and how many certified letters you write to Sony, you might get them to pay for the part but not the labor. It would seem to me that if the optical block is defective causing the roadmap it is also defective causing the blue haze. Here is a link to another forum with a lot of info on this subject: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/137540.html

If you have the roadmapping issue here is the Sony site that explains everything: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...&mdl=KF42WE610
You have until Sept. 30 2007 to get your claim in.

If enough people contact Sony about the blue spot issue they may start paying for complete repairs. This problem usually occurs after the warranty expires so technically Sony doesn't have to do anything but their reputation is being damaged so maybe they will do the right thing. It ridiculous to buy an expensive TV and two years later be faced with a repair bill over $1000.

I'd like to know if any of the Home Theater Shack readers have had this problem or know anyone else that does.

Last edited by Joey Skinner; 06-15-07 at 10:52 PM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-07, 09:31 PM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: Sony rp lcd " blue blob or blue haze"

I run the service department for a dealer that sells Sony products and we service everything we sell. To put this in perspective, we have not had a single instance of this problem in the sets that we have sold and I have seen one from a client that purchased the set elsewhere. The difuse spots are generally a problem in the polarizing or UV filters, sometimes buildup of dust, oils or debris in the light path or filters can cause a similar effect or propogate the problem due to overheating.

This is not an unknown nor unexpected problem in LCD or three chip systems. We have seen it in many LCD projectors from many vendors. It is probably the most common type of failure mode in this technology. It is likely for less common by far than, for instance, convergence amp failures in CRT based RPTVs.

The roadmapping is a defect in the panel itself and is perhaps a manufacturing defect, but it can also be caused by overheating or the result of using a set for a while after the other problems occur, causing thermal damage to the panel.

Sony is no more affected than any other maker of these types of sets from what I have seen. They have extended warranties and dropped prices on light engines and taken care of lots of out of warranty cases. Class action lawsuits are generally simply a means for a few lawyers to make a buck and sometimes get lucky with a big score. Sony is often the target because they sell lots of sets.

If you are a consumer then please post your experience and contacts with Sony so we can follow the progress of your case. If there is anything that I can do to help I will be happy to do so. If you are affiliated with any of the attorneys and just on a fishing expedition, please take it elsewhere. You are not doing consumers a service. A more productive path would be to try to get Sony to start providing parts to repair the Optical Blocks so that repairs would not be so expensive and servicers would not be driven out of business.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 06-15-07, 10:24 PM   #3
Joey Skinner
Inactive

This is the most common failure mode from this type of technology but you have not seen a single instance of this in the TVs you have sold. Maybe you have just been lucky. From what I am reading on the internet it is more common than you might think. Did you look at the ecoustics forum thread on this problem? There is at least one business that is rebuilding Sony optical blocks so parts are apparently available. I'm not a Sony basher; all the TVs in my house are Sony. I have an old Trinitron that is so old it didn't even come with a remote and it still works. That is why when asked if I wanted an extended warranty for the lcd I said "The manufacturer's warranty is good enough for me. If it makes the first year it should last a long time." Almost immediatly it developed a spot that required a new optical block that was taken care of right away at no cost. Now it has the blue blobs that appear to be melting across the screen and a hazy spot in the middle. I will get it looked at by a technician and contact Sony and let everyone know my progress. From what I have read I should only be liable for labor costs. Thank you for your offer to help me if I need it.
I am not affiliated with an attorney and I edited a line from my previous post that might have been inappropriate.

Old 06-16-07, 07:23 AM   #4
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

We are a relatively small dealer and, yes, we have likely been lucky. But I do monitor most of the forums where this stuff comes up and am well aware of the degree of discussion on the matter. I also participate in several forums and listserves for technicians only and while there are a few reports of the problems, they are relative ly rare compared to the kinds of problems seen with other technologies and other brands.

There are two companies that are rebuilding most light engines, aka optical blocks, for most manufacturers. They are PTS and Tri State Module. They get parts through exclusive arrangements with the OEMs that make them for the TV makers, with the TV makers themselves, or with the OEMs that make the entire optical block. The Sony parts have not been made available to the average servicer like myself. If they were lots of the more skiled techs could rebuild these things for quite a bit less than a replacement LE.

Please understand our caution, as we have had shills for vendors and ambulance chasers have been fishing on the other forums. I got a call some time ago from the primary attorney responsible for much of the class action business against Sony wanting me to testify as an expert. I think these lawsuits are, for the most part, not a benefit to consumers. They would be better targeted at companies that have high failure rates and provide no repair support at all, but many of those have no money. Sony and Panasonic do. Keep in mind that the big vendors are going to get a lot more complaints online and a few dozen people with problems can seem like a much bigger problem than it is. We see it all the time with lots of vendors. Everyone who has a problem is not the victim of a manufacturer hiding a defect that affects most of their sets.

Send me your model, serial number, pix of the problem, DOP and where you bought it, and all of your personal info, and find a Sony ASC. Be sure to point out up front that there may be a warranty extension on your problem. Make notes of any contacts with service centers and with Sony. I will advise you along the way and act as a liason to Sony if needed. Please start a new thread in the Manufacturer Service and Support Forum, which I moderate, so that I don't miss any messages. Also, others will know where to look for the relevant info. You can email me or PM me with any info you don't want to post publicly.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.

Old 09-24-07, 05:52 PM   #5
jimbojpc
Inactive

Icallio, if you could help it will much appreciated. I contacted sony about my sony Model# KE-42WE610 told them I have the Blu Blob blu star optical block problem. they had a company called QUALXSERV contact me and specifically said if the technician diagnoses the set with a optical block problem sony would cover it no problem as they took my $100.00 on my credit card . Sure enough today the technician said the optical block is the problem and this model is not covered. Now I am out the $100.00 a broken t.v. and looking for help and advice?

jimbojpc069@hotmail,com

Last edited by jimbojpc; 09-24-07 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: adding emai

Old 09-25-07, 05:56 AM   #6
Joey Skinner
Inactive

Write a real nice letter to the Sony Executive Review Committee explaining your problem with copies of receipts. In my case, instead of repairing the set, they agreed to give me a pro-rated credit toward the purchase of a new TV. Check out the ecoustics.com link in the first post of this thread. Lots of Sony bashing there but there are also many examples of people getting Sony to pay for repair/replacement of TVs that are out of warranty.

Old 09-25-07, 08:01 AM   #7
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

Good advice. I don't see any info on that model. I would be talking to Sony. Be patient, diligent, and reasonable and you are more likely to et what you want, or at least something.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Sony »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »