Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Help from Sony for LCD rear projection with blue spots

52K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  lcaillo 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through December 31, 2008 for 2004 Model Year Grand WEGA™ Televisions with the blue spot problem.

Models: KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, KDF-60WF655, KDF-55XS955, KDF-60XS955, KF-42WE620, and KF-50WE620

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=

Unfortunately, My KF-42WE610 with blue spots is a 2003 model and is not covered. There is a thread here: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/137540.html with posts from people who have had success getting Sony to pay for all or part of the repair but to start the process you must first get an authorized Sony repair center to diagnosis the problem. I went to a local Sony service shop and they said it was probably was the optical block but they would have to run diagnostics and that would take about 2 weeks. I was hoping he could just look at it and say it was the optical block but I guess he wants to make sure there is no other problem before he commits to an estimate. I'll update this post after I get the estimate and contact Sony. I wanted to let everyone know that Sony stands behind their products and if you have a problem with your Grand Wega LCD check out the Sony service website.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I took my KF-42WE610 to the shop yesterday and got the estimate today. New optical block needed, about $1250 to replace!! $225 for labor which sounds very reasonable, 994.71 + shipping for the part from Sony, and tax.

#3 ·
Check with PTS to see if they currently have the parts to rebuild these. If they do, I believe that their rate for that light engine is $375, plus shipping.

G
#4 ·
I wrote a letter to the Sony executive review committee asking them to stand behind the TV, even though it is out of warranty and received a rapid reply. They agreed that the repair price was too high for a 3 year old TV and they are going to basically buy back the TV at a pro-rated price in exchange for a new set. I'll find out how much they will apply to a new TV tomorrow and post it here.

G
#5 ·
Sony callled today and for $350 I'll be getting a KDL-40S3000 40" LCD shipped to my door. I think I came out better than if the set had been in the additional service coverage and repaired. Since Sony was under no obligation to do anything in this matter I feel obliged to continue to purchase their products.

#7 ·
Contact a Sony Authorized Service Center and have them evaluate it and give you an estimate ASAP. If it is a bad optical block Sony may provide some accomodation on the repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.