Power Sound Audio’s MTM-210 Loudspeaker: A First Look Review - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 24 Old 12-02-14, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Power Sound Audio’s MTM-210 Loudspeaker: A First Look Review

Home Theater Shack recently took possession of a pair of Power Sound Audio’s (PSA) new MTM-210 loudspeakers. Today, we’re giving you, our members, a first look at the speaker, with a more detailed review by HTS Staff Speaker Guru Wayne Meyers coming sometime in mid-December.

Power Sound Audio's MTM-210 Loudspeaker.

The MTM-210 is the largest model in PSA’s new loudspeaker line (the MT-110 is its smaller sibling). Measuring 28"H x 11"W x 16"D and a hefty 55-pounds, the MTM-210’s size pushes the standard definition of a bookshelf speaker. That being said, it’s not tall enough to be a true floorstander and, despite its girth, is sized appropriately to perch on speaker stands (they fit perfectly on a pair of sand-weighted VTI stands).

Out of the Box
Not to harp on the MTM-210’s physicality, but my expected “opening the box” reaction was sharply altered by a tinge of surprise. Despite knowing their dimensions, I was unexpectedly excited by their substantial reveal and even more intrigued by their physical presence as I removed them from the shipping boxes. Speaking of shipping, the pair was delivered in separate thick double-walled boxes, internally secured by foam and wrapped with plastic – zero issues with box or speaker damage and easily handled by a standard delivery service.

Packed and ready for a bumpy ride, the MTM-210's packaging is excellent.

Physical Design
Our particular MTM-210 demo units have PSA’s “Satin Black Texture” finish, which is the same finish that adorns dual PSA XS30 subwoofers dutifully driving subsonic frequencies in my Home Theater. I like the match and it’s perfectly unassuming for light controlled Home Theater environments. In fact, the front end of my Home Theater is completely clad in light-soaking black (walls, floor, and ceiling) and the MTM-210s melded with ease. The surface texture of the 210s does lend to some light reflection, but it’s minimal and inconsequential.

The MTM-210’s cabinet is like a brick and soaks-up the knuckle-wrap test without breaking a sweat. A solid thwack! tells all. The rear of the cabinet features two twistable gold knurled speaker posts that can accept banana plugs. The speaker posts are centered on the cabinet and mounted within a circular plastic inset. The cloth speaker grills are sturdy and feature metal mounting posts. The grills are open, without any bracing or plastics to impede sound.

A rear shot of the 210's speaker posts.

The front side of the MTM-210 features two 10-inch woofers and a horn tweeter (WTW array). With grills removed, the speaker looks both elegant and aggressive, especially considering its overall width versus height. The 210’s industrial aura helps them to look like they mean business; ready to play, and play hard.

Listening Impressions
I positioned the 210s in my treated Home Theater room, spaced 12-feet apart and 3-feet from the front wall (approximately 11 feet from a center listening position), mounted on speaker stands. Driving the show was an Elite VSX-21THX AVR fed by an Oppo BD-93, a pair that easily pleased the MTM-210’s lean power requirements. The AVR was set on Pure Direct and the speakers were played for 12 hours before any listening sessions. The first round of listening involved the 210s solo, with a second round blending the 210s with my XS30 subs.

I threw a variety of music at the MTM-210s including The Orb’s seminal beat-laden ambient recording Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, John Mayer’s jazzy Continuum, Sarah McLachlan’s Afterglow, and Third Eye Blind’s alt-rock Into The Vein. The resulting listening sessions were wonderfully enjoyable. The 210s created an airy sound stage that magically engulfed the listening space, hiding any hints that sound was actually emanating from the speakers. Highs appeared crisp and forward, while lows sounded as if they were punching back through the front wall. Imaging was spectacular.

Of my listening choices, The Orb represented the most dynamic recording of the bunch with wide ranges of bass tracks, loads of sparkly highs, and twinkling samples designed to dance across the soundstage (perfect demo material). The MTM's reproduction of The Orb's tracks was sublime. Even when taken to reference levels, the 210s delivered spot-on imaging and felt invisible. This was the case across the material I selected, each album reinforcing the results I had previously experienced...from the reproduction of Mayer’s slightly raspy voice to the smooth rises and falls of McLachlan’s “World on Fire,” the MTMs were superb. I even pulled my daughters into the mix with a blind playing of Taylor Swift’s “Welcome to New York.” They were thoroughly convinced that our Theater’s center channel was playing and were blown-away as the song progressed and expanded to the edges of the room.

The MTM-210's grill covers compliment the speaker's functional styling.

The MTM-210 is a balanced speaker, not excessively bright nor overly muted; neutral is probably a more accurate description. Power Sound Audio says the speaker has a frequency response of 70Hz-20kHz, which indicates that it might lack in the ultra-low end. As stand-alone speakers, the 210s don’t necessarily need the crutch of a subwoofer. They can easily function alone, however I did decide to invite their subsonic brothers (the XS30s) over to play. After all, how could I not let the quartet dance together? As stated earlier, I have two XS30s strategically deployed in my Home Theater (Crossover 80 Hz, small). Let’s just say these siblings got along abnormally well. Seamless. The addition of a sub definitely filled out the sound, helping to reveal added layers of depth and warmth to bass guitars and synth-beats (especially noticeable for some of The Orb's deeper bass notes). The 210s, alone, hinted at these layers and the subs simply shed more light on them.

Conclusions
The MTM-210s are a solid entry into Power Sound Audio's growing stable of products and will certainly turn heads as they filter into homes around the audio community. Considering my stereo listening sessions, I think it’s safe to assume the MTM-210s would excel in a 5.1/7.1 deployment for movie duty. I did manage to play one of my favorite demo movies (Hannah) using the 210s in a 2.2 stereo setup. While not ideal for a surround track, the results were not surprising. The speakers produced a wide soundstage and gushed while hammering away the movie’s special effects and the Chemical Brother’s thick soundtrack. It certainly left me curious to hear a true surround setup with PSA speakers.

The MTM-210s are en route to Wayne Meyer’s audio lab for his professional review, so stay tuned for his sure-to-be reliable assessment from superiorly trained ears. For more information about Power Sound Audio’s speakers and subwoofer offerings, visit their website at www.powersoundaudio.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-03-14, 11:07 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Re: Power Sound Audio’s MTM-210 Loudspeaker: A First Look Review

Cool! Thanks for a great mini-review. I'm looking forward to Wayne's take as well. All these reviews of horn-loaded compression drivers working well for music make me want to get a pair to listen to sometime.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-04-14, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Definitely, Bryan. Exciting to see an impactful new product hit the market.
post #4 of 24 Old 12-05-14, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

A member PM-ed with a question about toe-in during the demo session. I did have the 210s aimed at the middle listening position. Not quite dead-on...a tad off to the left and right...but close. I found this to be ideal in my room, opening the sound.

-Todd
post #5 of 24 Old 12-05-14, 03:50 PM
Senior Shackster

bundini

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
A member PM-ed with a question about toe-in during the demo session. I did have the 210s aimed at the middle listening position. Not quite dead-on...a tad off to the left and right...but close. I found this to be ideal in my room, opening the sound.

-Todd
Thanks Todd for that additional tidbit as I have mine in a very similar orientation as well, I found that to work very well in my room also. I even tried crossing the axis in front of the MLP (even more toe in), this resulted in very good stable imaging even when sitting left or right of the MLP, this was suggested to see how other seating positions would be effected as far as the sound stage was concerned, it was quite revealing how the center image stayed locked in even sitting off axis with this extreme toe in. I have been noticing a bit more mid bass slam the more I use these speakers, I'm not of the speaker break in club but as Jim has said I would notice some refinements in micro dynamics as these speakers are given a chance to stretch their legs so to speak. The integration with my dual XS30SEs is seamless, it's quite obvious the intentions of the design of these speakers, they are very musical speakers and are right at home with HT duty as well, I wish you had the opportunity to audition a complete 5.0 setup. My three 210s upfront with a vertical center are quite imposing as I don't use the grill covers, complete this with dual XS30s also without covers is almost ominous looking, then there's the sound. I have the 110 as surrounds, many might think the 110s are too big for surround duty but when you have the 210s in house I think they are just the right fit.
Regards, Jeffrey
post #6 of 24 Old 12-05-14, 03:58 PM
Senior Shackster

bundini

My System

Todd, could you provide a link to Wayne's page, so I could check out his (when it appears) review of the 210s? TIA.
Cheers Jeff
post #7 of 24 Old 12-05-14, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
needspeed52 wrote: View Post
Todd, could you provide a link to Wayne's page, so I could check out his (when it appears) review of the 210s? TIA.
Cheers Jeff
It will appear as a headline story on our homepage...sometime in December!
post #8 of 24 Old 12-05-14, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Thanks Todd for that additional tidbit as I have mine in a very similar orientation as well, I found that to work very well in my room also. I even tried crossing the axis in front of the MLP (even more toe in), this resulted in very good stable imaging even when sitting left or right of the MLP, this was suggested to see how other seating positions would be effected as far as the sound stage was concerned, it was quite revealing how the center image stayed locked in even sitting off axis with this extreme toe in. I have been noticing a bit more mid bass slam the more I use these speakers, I'm not of the speaker break in club but as Jim has said I would notice some refinements in micro dynamics as these speakers are given a chance to stretch their legs so to speak. The integration with my dual XS30SEs is seamless, it's quite obvious the intentions of the design of these speakers, they are very musical speakers and are right at home with HT duty as well, I wish you had the opportunity to audition a complete 5.0 setup. My three 210s upfront with a vertical center are quite imposing as I don't use the grill covers, complete this with dual XS30s also without covers is almost ominous looking, then there's the sound. I have the 110 as surrounds, many might think the 110s are too big for surround duty but when you have the 210s in house I think they are just the right fit.
Regards, Jeffrey
Jeff, thanks for sharing all of this info. Valuable for sure.

I'm sure your surround set-up looks wicked. The 210s have a very unique and imposing flair. Definitely a speaker that looks GREAT with the grills off.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-05-14, 04:31 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Regards, Jeffrey
I gotta see pics. Pics or it didn't happen . . . .
post #10 of 24 Old 12-05-14, 09:32 PM
Senior Shackster

bundini

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
I gotta see pics. Pics or it didn't happen . . . .
OK, give me a little time to take the pics.