The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 101 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1001 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 12:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Jerry

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Mostly agreed on the idea that a good speaker for music should make a good speaker for movies too. The only exception would be those that are unable to handle lots of power and play loud enough. Now, sometimes the reverse is not true - sometimes a speaker will be voiced to be initially very impressive for theater but end up disappointing for music. Ultimately it will probably prove to be not as great for movies as initially thought for the discerning listener though.
I listen to music pretty loud sometimes. I play movies with significant amounts of music in them sometimes.

The true bottom-end of sound, where the subharmonics of, say, Master and Commander run, are perhaps not heavily represented in music (they do exist though). I would also say that the possibility exists in stereo LF recordings of having sounds that will not sum well electrically to go into a subwoofer; but I think these are relative outliers rather than common-case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Hmmm... not a silent movie, but maybe a blind movie... or invisible movie.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #1003 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 01:02 AM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Sonnie,
earlier you mentioned that the low grade finish on the Arx speaker cabinets are a negative point. Anything can be re-finished. New real-wood laminate or paint of any color with any degree of gloss finish is possible.
Would this make the Arx speakers cost more than they are worth?
post #1004 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I don't think I stated "low grade", but rather that I just did not prefer it. It might be more like mid grade if I had to grade it.

I think each person would ultimately have to decide what they would be worth to them with whatever finish they prefer. In my opinion they are already worth more than they cost. If they had a high quality painted Satin Black finish, to me they would be worth even more.

You are probably asking that backwards... you should ask would it make them worth more than they cost, not would it make them cost more than they are worth.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #1005 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 03:40 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

The finish on the Arx speakers seems best described as basic, simple, entry-level. It is a nice enough finish, and there are some fairly expensive speakers that are available with that as their basic finish with options for more refined finishes involving more expensive veneers and more time-consuming staining or painting processes. Its low-reflection surface is really a pretty good home theater choice. But some will prefer a different look and might even choose a speaker that is known to not perform as well sonically but will look better in their room.

For me, the sonics are everything, and as long as a speaker is finished and not banged up - and even that can not be said of my beloved 20+ year old Polk Monitor 5jr's, which had a piece of collapsing ceiling fall on one of them - I am pretty happy. Sonnie has said it is not his favorite finish, but you will note he still has that pair of A5's.

Refinishing a pair of purchased speakers is not trivial. Doing it right means complete dis-assembly, and not everyone is that brave (probably resulting in a voided warranty) with a new $800 purchase.
post #1006 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 11:47 AM
Senior Shackster

Jerry

Quote:
gdstupak wrote: View Post
Sonnie,
earlier you mentioned that the low grade finish on the Arx speaker cabinets are a negative point. Anything can be re-finished. New real-wood laminate or paint of any color with any degree of gloss finish is possible.
Would this make the Arx speakers cost more than they are worth?
True. Anything can be rebraced, re-cabineted, re-crossovered, or re-drivered as well though, yes?
post #1007 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 03:35 PM
Chane Music & Cinema

The Arx finish is a good quality version of the ubiquitous simulated black ash that's been adorning all the hipper, sexier, trendier, and finer loudspeaker brands for decades. Who knew?

Given that it seriously impacts price, what threw us, actually, was the growing demand for a high impact semi-gloss black catalyzed paint. Actually what threw us was the call for paint, and we put in place the means to make that particular finish and others.

In December we'll start to prototype the first 2014 A5 in paint along with an A7 tower, which is a new concept, also in paint. I think it's safe to say that Q2 2014 should see as much as the entire line available in paint for an upcharge.

I ask that you remember that the reason Arx costs what it does is that ultra-cool PVC wrap people have forsaken so many cozy Black Friday soirees nationwide to admire. In a black paint they will rise.

representing Chane Music & Cinema
post #1008 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 03:58 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
Jon Lane wrote: View Post
The Arx finish is a good quality version of the ubiquitous simulated black ash that's been adorning all the hipper, sexier, trendier, and finer loudspeaker brands for decades. Who knew?

Given that it seriously impacts price, what threw us, actually, was the growing demand for a high impact semi-gloss black catalyzed paint. Actually what threw us was the call for paint, and we put in place the means to make that particular finish and others.

In December we'll start to prototype the first 2014 A5 in paint along with an A7 tower, which is a new concept, also in paint. I think it's safe to say that Q2 2014 should see as much as the entire line available in paint for an upcharge.

I ask that you remember that the reason Arx costs what it does is that ultra-cool PVC wrap people have forsaken so many cozy Black Friday soirees nationwide to admire. In a black paint they will rise.
Something to think about. If you offer paint... Will you only offer black or will you do custom colors too?

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #1009 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I have no plans to sell my A5's... at least not until the A7 painted version comes to Cedar Creek Cinema and Listening Room.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #1010 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 04:13 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I have first option on them when you do.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.