The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 102 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1011 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 04:16 PM
Senior Shackster

craigsub

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Jon Lane wrote: View Post

I ask that you remember that the reason Arx costs what it does is that ultra-cool PVC wrap people have forsaken so many cozy Black Friday soirees nationwide to admire. In a black paint they will rise.
If anyone can translate this into American, please PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1012 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 04:20 PM
Senior Shackster

craigsub

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I have no plans to sell my A5's... at least not until the A7 painted version comes to Cedar Creek Cinema and Listening Room.
I get the first A-9's then.
post #1013 of 1075 Old 11-30-13, 07:39 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I have no plans to sell my A5's... at least not until the A7 painted version comes to Cedar Creek Cinema and Listening Room.
Bet he never lets 'em go.

Actually they have become a reference point for us. It might be good to keep them around for that purpose alone.
post #1014 of 1075 Old 12-01-13, 08:00 AM
Chane Music & Cinema

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Something to think about. If you offer paint... Will you only offer black or will you do custom colors too?
For the larger models once paint starts we can provide nearly any color.

representing Chane Music & Cinema
post #1015 of 1075 Old 12-01-13, 09:27 AM
Senior Shackster
Glenn

My System

Jon,
Hopefully you will continue to offer great sound with the cheap"er" finishes. I would much rather pay for the sound than the look. And because of this speaker evaluation I may end up being a paying customer soon.
post #1016 of 1075 Old 12-01-13, 09:34 AM
Senior Shackster

craigsub

Quote:
gdstupak wrote: View Post
Jon,
Hopefully you will continue to offer great sound with the cheap"er" finishes. I would much rather pay for the sound than the look. And because of this speaker evaluation I may end up being a paying customer soon.
Jon and I have been discussing this - how to keep the less expensive vinyl wrap finish for the budget conscious customer while bringing some paint finishes into the line up of ARX speakers.

Feedback like yours is helping to confirm that we need to keep the most cost effective approach available along with the higher priced catalyzed paint finishes. Thank you.
post #1017 of 1075 Old 12-01-13, 12:07 PM
Senior Shackster

Jerry

Quote:
craigsub wrote: View Post
Jon and I have been discussing this - how to keep the less expensive vinyl wrap finish for the budget conscious customer while bringing some paint finishes into the line up of ARX speakers.
There's a speaker builder near me. He actually contracts out cabinet building in general, but even if he didn't this story would go the same.

Like you, he's using relatively basic wrap and finishes, but as his speakers are moving into higher price categories, I think there's a market for "better looking" finishes for him as well.

My recommendation to him is going to be to contract out those finishes (to a local artist actually). This lets him continue to do exactly what he's doing while saying "and if you want the fancy finish, I hand the unfinished cabinet over to a subcontractor and you pay the costs". We'll see if he likes the idea.
post #1018 of 1075 Old 12-01-13, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
craigsub wrote: View Post

Feedback like yours is helping to confirm that we need to keep the most cost effective approach available along with the higher priced catalyzed paint finishes. Thank you.
I second that feedback. It's nice to have a gorgeous speaker, but my budget demands that I spend every available penny on the best acoustical performance possible. Perhaps that would be different if I had five-figure money to spend and I could have the best of both worlds. That's not where I am at right now though.
post #1019 of 1075 Old 12-01-13, 01:19 PM
Senior Shackster

craigsub

Quote:
JerryLove wrote: View Post
There's a speaker builder near me. He actually contracts out cabinet building in general, but even if he didn't this story would go the same.

Like you, he's using relatively basic wrap and finishes, but as his speakers are moving into higher price categories, I think there's a market for "better looking" finishes for him as well.

My recommendation to him is going to be to contract out those finishes (to a local artist actually). This lets him continue to do exactly what he's doing while saying "and if you want the fancy finish, I hand the unfinished cabinet over to a subcontractor and you pay the costs". We'll see if he likes the idea.
Jon has something in the works that is fairly close to what you are suggesting. Our new subwoofer line up (100 units are in production now) will be all "USA Built" as will some of the higher end ARX designs on which he is working.

When he gets more of this sorted out, look for some details on this. I think everyone will like where he is headed with the A-7's that Sonnie has been pushing Jon to build.
post #1020 of 1075 Old 12-01-13, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

The $3,000 Speaker Evaluation Nomination Thread is now open... be sure to nominate the speakers you would like to see in the voting poll.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!