The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 105 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1041 of 1075 Old 12-08-13, 10:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Mark Seaton

Send a message via AIM to Mark Seaton
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
No. Working on it now. I should know better, but had an editing error wherein I lost a day's worth of writing. Bummer.
Seeing all the work that went into the review and witnessing the extensive listening and note-taking involved, I'm impressed you didn't tell Sonnie the Catalyst 8C review could wait till next year!

Only those who have made related attempts at such extensive reviewing have any idea as to the work involved in such efforts. Hats off to the 4 of you. I'll try and make my presence more known where appropriate in the coming weeks & months.

Mark Seaton
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1042 of 1075 Old 12-09-13, 12:09 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Mark Seaton wrote: View Post
Seeing all the work that went into the review and witnessing the extensive listening and note-taking involved, I'm impressed you didn't tell Sonnie the Catalyst 8C review could wait till next year!

Only those who have made related attempts at such extensive reviewing have any idea as to the work involved in such efforts. Hats off to the 4 of you. I'll try and make my presence more known where appropriate in the coming weeks & months.
Well, Mark, I would love to have your presence somewhere in the state of Wisconsin after I take delivery of some amazing new speakers!
post #1043 of 1075 Old 12-09-13, 12:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Oooh, watcha gettin'?!
post #1044 of 1075 Old 12-09-13, 12:16 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Oooh, watcha gettin'?!
Now, now, no letting the cat out of the bag too early! You will just have to check out my lobby build thread!
post #1045 of 1075 Old 12-09-13, 01:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hmmm, I think I may have had my expectations set too high on these. Being bright in Sonnies room would mean that in someones untreated livingroom they may be a problem. The mushy bass mentioned may be something that can be dealt with if an external EQ is added even the brightness but if your going to hook them up directly to a receiver (most people will) not sure what would work.
I love the looks of the SVS towers and was considering them for a two channel system but given the above reviews Im not sure now.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #1046 of 1075 Old 12-09-13, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Ultimately I did not think they were bright... and they certainly were not bright at CAF (large room) nor RMAF (small room) in completely untreated rooms.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #1047 of 1075 Old 12-09-13, 02:48 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Well, Mark, I would love to have your presence somewhere in the state of Wisconsin after I take delivery of some amazing new speakers!
Well now, there's a surprise (not) ; seems like every GTG I've been to where Mark has also been in attendance at least one person buys something from him. It's almost predictable at this point.

For those interested... Mark will be on a podcast this afternoon.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #1048 of 1075 Old 12-09-13, 05:53 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Well now, there's a surprise (not) ; seems like every GTG I've been to where Mark has also been in attendance at least one person buys something from him. It's almost predictable at this point.

For those interested... Mark will be on a podcast this afternoon.
Nice guess Jim...

Mark made an offer that I just could not refuse!
post #1049 of 1075 Old 12-14-13, 10:56 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I suppose it depends on what you are looking to help you choose a speaker... not sure why else you would look at speaker testing... other than maybe entertainment. Knowing that 90% of people preferred flat over voiced doesn't help me learn anything... other that 90% of people preferred flat over voiced. I want real world variables for what would be typical. It is not typical for a person to sit in front of one speaker. If it were an evaluation like we did... it might be useful for me. As it is and as it was done, it serves no purpose for me. I can't get any closer to determining what speaker I would buy based on that testing.

If the test is to determine preferred qualities, they missed quite a few that would be what I would prefer. The reason I do speaker comparisons is to determine what speakers sound the best to me. We share that info with our readers, but it won't tell them what is best for them, although it might tell them that certain qualities are easier to obtain with speaker x over speaker y. That is why it is more useful.
Very well stated Sonnie. While a speaker may tend to have a certain quantitative quality all be it flat or voiced the so called "best speaker" is determined by a infinite variable which is an individuals specific preference and personal hearing ability.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #1050 of 1075 Old 12-15-13, 09:11 AM
Shackster

Matthew

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Hmmm, I think I may have had my expectations set too high on these. Being bright in Sonnies room would mean that in someones untreated livingroom they may be a problem. The mushy bass mentioned may be something that can be dealt with if an external EQ is added even the brightness but if your going to hook them up directly to a receiver (most people will) not sure what would work.
I love the looks of the SVS towers and was considering them for a two channel system but given the above reviews Im not sure now.
I feel the same way as you do about the SVS towers. I am leaning towards going with Paradigm for my next speaker upgrade but the Paradigm 60s may be a little to expensive for me. The new Paradigm Ref. 20s look really nice and that is what I currently have even though they are about 13 years old. They still sound great after all these years.