The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 106 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1051 of 1075 Old 12-15-13, 09:34 AM
Shackster

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
mdanderson wrote: View Post
I feel the same way as you do about the SVS towers. I am leaning towards going with Paradigm for my next speaker upgrade but the Paradigm 60s may be a little to expensive for me. The new Paradigm Ref. 20s look really nice and that is what I currently have even though they are about 13 years old. They still sound great after all these years.

I love my Ultra Towers. Other owners I have spoken to haven't complained about the brightness. I would still urge you to give them a demo, especially since they are risk free. I don't think I would ever consider trading mine for a pair of Studio 60s. Especially if you need a true full range tower for music without a sub, as the bass is much better on the towers that the Studio 60s. Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1075 Old 12-15-13, 10:22 AM
Shackster
Claude

I keep getting eMails asking me to reply here. As a 2PH3 Klipsch array (Stereo Klipshorns and LaScala in the middle, mono, about -6 db on wide wall), life was good. Then came Home Theater on DVD.....5.1. and the quest began................using only old dollars, on the cheap.

I have all pro Klipsch gear, all used, from a Regal theater that got all new stuff for 7.1 Onkyo receiver fed by used OPPO 83 SE with the Sabre DACs. The Ausyssey XT saves the day for the room (amazing). 4 KPT-200 for sides and rears (100 db sensitivity), Heresy for Center voice channel. R and L are a tri-amped horn "stack" Peavey FH-1 bass bins (stronger, cheaper than LaScala) with EVM 15L PEQ'd with a Behringer DCX active 50-320 Hz. (no inductor on woofer) Mid horn Klipsch K-402 with K-1133 320-4,000 Hz. to B&C DE-250 tweeter on QSC horn that looks like a "mini-me" of the big midrange horn. Power is B&K multichannel with gain tweaks for each section at 60 W per section, all gain tweaked before applying Audyssey. Since I use 0.025 watts to get to 85 db at my sweet spot, and about 0.010 W on the mid & tweet I have a minimum of 33 db headroom for whatever "crest factor" hapens. Front and Rear center wall Super Spud subs from Danley the incredible DTS-10's (100 db/W) driven by used Adcom 555 gen 1 stereo amp with RCA Y0connected mono from receiver Sub output.

For CD's, I use the SE output to the receiver Analog input which still give me 2.1 with the Danley subs and Audyssey XT EQ and Dynamic volume. Bottomless bass with micro resolution and scary dynamics on all program materials from good recordings. The ridiculously low distortion and transient response makes some recordings (mostly pop and rock) unlistenable at high volumes.

Blue Rays with modern LFE vibrate stuff at the other end of the house, along with the couch frame right where I sit 9 feet from JVC LED TV. It's ok, I don't want anymore kids anyhow.
post #1053 of 1075 Old 12-15-13, 02:40 PM
Shackster

Kemp

Quote:
I feel the same way as you do about the SVS towers. I am leaning towards going with Paradigm for my next speaker upgrade but the Paradigm 60s may be a little to expensive for me. The new Paradigm Ref. 20s look really nice and that is what I currently have even though they are about 13 years old. They still sound great after all these years.
Let the reviews be a guide, but I recommend you audition the SVS Towers for yourself. I've never heard them have sloppy bass, and I'd call them extended on top but not bright. IMHO they are one of the best bargains around. When I've heard them I thought they gave a little away in ultimate detail to the best, but were quite competitive in midrange naturalness, soundstaging, bass dynamics and extension, and ability to play loud without glare, and they look like they cost $10K.
post #1054 of 1075 Old 12-15-13, 10:51 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
If the 60's are out of your reach check out the Paradigm Monitor 11. You get 70% of the aesthetics and 95% of the sound for 50% of the price.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?
post #1055 of 1075 Old 12-16-13, 12:50 AM
Shackster

Matthew

My System

Quote:
NewHTbuyer wrote: View Post
I love my Ultra Towers. Other owners I have spoken to haven't complained about the brightness. I would still urge you to give them a demo, especially since they are risk free. I don't think I would ever consider trading mine for a pair of Studio 60s. Especially if you need a true full range tower for music without a sub, as the bass is much better on the towers that the Studio 60s. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I would actually like to hear the SVS Towers for myself before I make a definite judgement.
post #1056 of 1075 Old 12-16-13, 12:56 AM
Shackster

Matthew

My System

Quote:
KLH007 wrote: View Post
Let the reviews be a guide, but I recommend you audition the SVS Towers for yourself. I've never heard them have sloppy bass, and I'd call them extended on top but not bright. IMHO they are one of the best bargains around. When I've heard them I thought they gave a little away in ultimate detail to the best, but were quite competitive in midrange naturalness, soundstaging, bass dynamics and extension, and ability to play loud without glare, and they look like they cost $10K.
Yes, auditioning them for myself is the best way to make a good decision.

Quote:
phreak wrote: View Post
If the 60's are out of your reach check out the Paradigm Monitor 11. You get 70% of the aesthetics and 95% of the sound for 50% of the price.
I have heard good things about the Monitor line for Paradigm. I just want speakers that sound as good or better then what I currently have.
post #1057 of 1075 Old 12-16-13, 04:58 AM
FJR
Shackster

Unless they have changed a lot, the only Paradigms I heard were two generations of Monitors and I thought they were extremely veiled. I had to assume that the Studios and Signatures were quite different to get the acclaim they did. That was about three years ago, I believe.
post #1058 of 1075 Old 12-16-13, 07:21 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
NewHTbuyer wrote: View Post
FWIW, the room & setup seem to make quite a difference. I agree there is a lot of value there and they are worth a try in one's own environment the way they will be used. Be sure you have a measurement mic to see how well they match.
post #1059 of 1075 Old 12-16-13, 07:00 PM
Shackster

Maybe off topic?? Did I miss the review of the Seaton Sound speakers?
post #1060 of 1075 Old 12-16-13, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Wayne is putting the finishing touches on it now... should be up in a day or two.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!