The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:26 AM
Shackster

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I can't make the audition! !! Glad to see some of the speakers I thought should be reviewed will be included, particularly interested in the SVS and Paradigm feedback and with that Anthem amp....oh my goodness!!! Great event, looking forward to the results!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:29 AM
Senior Shackster

Ender

My System

I am personally very interested in your thoughts on the SVS towers, particularly because they have a similar design to my Polk LSi 15's.

Now I realize they utilize different parts and crossovers, but I have been curious as to how those towers sound.

I am also significantly interested in how the Maggie 1.7's sound. My wife and I have heard the MMG's and she loved them and actually gave me the "OK" to purchase a set someday. With that said I know they get better the higher up the line you go. I dont think she would like the size of the 3x models but the 1x models are not much wider than the MMG's, just a bit taller, and also dont need to be out as far as the 3x models.

This should be a very interesting read and I look forward to the results.
post #113 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike R

Looking forward to the evolution of this thread and the shootout.
A good price point and selection for lots of people moving up from their 1st set of speakers.
Also, thx for posting the acoustic chart in post#1, if possible I'd like to see some gated ETC charts 0 - 50ms to truly see how dialed in your treatments are for managing the 1st reflections.

I am particular to 2 of the brands below - having done extensive listening to them via local brick-n-mortar, however will see how everything plays out, so I'm un-biased.
Quote:
The Speakers

Dynaudio DM 3/7
Emerald Physics CS2P
Magnepan 1.7
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
Paradigm Studio 60
SVS Ultra Towers

btw, a lotta reserved posts in the thread.....all 1st page....
post #114 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:32 AM
Shackster

Hi..I am onhope, yes specialy on this event. I will got the best review on the Paradim 60. Because of I may
buy it .
post #115 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:36 AM
Shackster
gbanco

Wow, looks like an awesome line-up. Wish I could be there to check it all out myself. You guys have great jobs testing out the coolest, latest and greatest equipment, and then relaying the info to all of us at home drooling over it all! Look forward to seeing the results!
post #116 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:38 AM
Shackster
Luka

What a nice test! I love the price range, but I believe that special treat of this test is that it's without the burden of proving anything!
It is simply meant to show what trusted people think of selected "sweet spot" group of speakers! At least IMHO this is the price wise sweet spot...
Well, enjoy, and do share as much of your impression as possible!
post #117 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:39 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike R

Here is a good white paper by Nyal Mellor "Acoustical Measurement Standards for Stereo Listening Rooms"
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/sta..._standards.pdf

Quote:
Some of the many questions that can be found scattered across the internet and overheard in conversations amongst audiophiles today relate to room acoustic measurements:

What are the key measurements?
How do I interpret them?
What does good look like?
How do they relate to each other?

These questions arise from the recent availability of cheap and accurate 'consumer' acoustical measurement products like XTZ Room Analyzer, Room EQ Wizard and Dayton Audio Omnimic. Whist these packages allow you to measure your room they do not provide any guidance on how to interpret the results relative to the audiophile situation of two speakers in a room.

In April of 2011 Nyal Mellor of Acoustic Frontiers and Jeff Hedback of HdAcoustics recognized this and started work on creating a set of measurement standards specific to the requirements of the two channel audiophile. Many hours of hard work have culminated in the release of the white paper Acoustic Measurement Standards for Stereo Listening Rooms which you can download as a pdf by clicking on the link.

This paper is recommended reading if you are interested in understanding how room acoustics can influence sound quality. It also provides clear targets for the acoustic measurements that characterize your room's performance.
post #118 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:43 AM
Shackster

Thanks so much for going through all the trouble to do this for us. I'll be pulling for the Maggies as an owner of the Tympani IVa flagship models

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be this messed up.
post #119 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:44 AM
Shackster

I really enjoy reading about high end speaker systems and especially speakers that I may purchase because of this evaluation. Thank you for doing this and go Magnepan!!!
post #120 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 11:44 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

I was sad to see that the Philharmonics didn't make the cut. I was really interested in what you guy's thought about them. My next choice would be the SVS ultras. I am not in the market for speakers at this time but this will help in choosing or giving advice to someone in the future. Thanks guy's.....

Onkyo TX-NR809 HT receiver
HPS-4000,SR-70, John Allen, Klipsch Heresy, Speakers for L.C.R.
QSC GX-5 power amp for L+R mains
Chase Home Theater PRO-10's for surrounds
Behringer EP 4000 pro amp for the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub
Oppo BDP-93 universal BD player
Toshiba HD XA2 HD dvd player
Sony VW-VPLPRO1 1080p PJ
Cinema White 1.0 gain 106" fixed frame screen
Dish network with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey