The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #161 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 06:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Ron

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Neat shootout. Glad to see you are using the Oppo BDP-105 in the setup. I have the Oppo BDP-95 and it rocks. I understand that the speakers were selected by the masses. Any plans to try additional speakers at different price points?

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:14 PM
Shackster

The SVS Ultra Towers are very interesting too. I'm a BIG Paradigm fan, but they may soon be out of my price range, so the comparison between the Ultras and Studio 60s could be thought-provoking.
post #163 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:37 PM
Shackster

The Dyanaudio tweeters are something else. It is not heavy like most dome tweeters. I have not heard the Paradigms and the Maggies but I also heard they are very good speakers. This is going to be a very good shootout once again! Thanks for making it happen again!
post #164 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:44 PM
Shackster
Scott

This is a really nice selection of speakers, with interesting design differences. It'll be cool to see the REW graphs for each, as an additional comparison.

Sounds like it'll be a fun event, glad we can participate vicariously.
post #165 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:51 PM
Shackster

This looks to be a fantastic gathering! Of these specific models I've only heard the SVS Ultra towers, but I've heard Magnepan and Martin Logan Electrostatics before (different models) and both offered a unique and interesting sound characteristic over traditional speakers!

Some have stated the SVS towers might be a bit borderline boomy or muddy on bass when used in full range, but I did not think that at all during the time I spent with them at one of the recent g2gs in IA. In fact the SVS towers were one of my favorite speakers of the day at that meet --- and there were some tough contenders there - many offerings costing several times more.

I hope this event proceeds without any major hitches and is well enjoyed by all in attendance. I'll definitely stay tuned for the results!
post #166 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:30 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Sonnie,
Are you removing the unused speakers when you are doing your evaluations?

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #167 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:52 PM
Shackster

Looking forward to the results. Although this is way out of my price range, I like to see reviews of high end components to see what the money buys and what makes it worth it.
post #168 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:18 PM
Shackster
Joe

Dynaudio DM 3/7
Emerald Physics CS2P
Magnepan 1.7
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
Paradigm Studio 60
SVS Ultra Towers
It is interesting to me that the only speaker in this collection that I have not investigated at least for an audition is the Dynaudio.
This is a tough comparison when you consider that the panel speaker ML and Maggies and the open baffle CS2P's can really challenge the room acoustics while the more conventional speakers can, potentially, be more forgiving of room acoustics and placement. So the challenge will be to invest the time in placement and room treatment to unleash the full potential of the "panel" speakers so as not to game the results.
post #169 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
phreak wrote: View Post
For a music suggestion please invest the 4:56 to check out "Shock" by John Tesh. My #1 instrumental go-to test track.

Tons of respect for your review panel. We are all looking forward to your careful analysis. I for one would like to read a brief pre-review stating what each reviewer is expecting. Posted before the event of course. Which speakers have you previously experienced, what favourites do you have? Some will parrot on about "expectation bias", but that pop psychology can't stand up in the face of men with integrity willing to say "Hey, I was wrong. Brand X surprised me, and Brand Y didn't live up to my overblown expectations"
That John Tesh track is pretty good... I really like it. Just listened to it with my headphones.

I think it will be hard to list all the speakers we have listened to... as several of us have been to a few audio shows and heard fifty-eleven speakers. Of course I have owned quite a few, which I believe are listed in our Personal Speaker Evolution Thread... mine is the first listed.

I can't say what to expect... learned better from the first one, when I got it totally wrong. I was even biased a bit (I think), but that did not seem to matter.

Quote:
ericzim wrote: View Post
Just for fun can you guys test some 96/24 or higher bit rate vinyl rips? You choose the records.
I am not sure how to do this, but if you can PM Wayne (AudiocRaver) he may know how to accomplish it. I have a turntable and several albums.

Quote:
rcarlton wrote: View Post
Any plans to try additional speakers at different price points?
Yes... we will likely do one more $2.500... then possibly move to the $3500-4000 range.

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Sonnie,
Are you removing the unused speakers when you are doing your evaluations?
Yes... they are all in the hall, even my ML Prodigy's will not be in the room, however, there will be some smaller speakers in there that we can easily move out of the way for testing other placements of the evaluation speakers.

By the way... we have our RMAF forum up and running. We don't have all of the rooms posted yet, but the guys are working on it. Expect a LOT more threads for other rooms. We have all the sponsors posted as Sticky Threads... other rooms are starting to show up below those. Again... expect a LOT more. Please check us out and let us know what you think. Comments in those threads are very appreciated.

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2013 Show Coverage

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #170 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 10:51 PM
Shackster

This will be a pretty interesting shootout.

I'm mostly a HT guy and own the Maggy 1.7's and switched from Dynaudios. I previously used the Dyn Audience 52's, 72's then the 82's, then contours, and actually still use Dynaudio for my center channel and subwoofers (dual sub300's to complement the 1.7's). I also use the mmg as my rear channels. The system sounds very good now actually and I've stopped looking to change it, imagine that! It has surround speed with the Maggy's and softness, presense and slam from the Dyns. FWIW, the rest of my gear is outlaw audio (975 prepro and 5 2200 monoblocks).

I havent researched the newer Dynaudios, and cant wait to hear the results. Maybe I'll switch back! One of my mmg blew a tweeter, so now I have an excuse to do some rearranging, hah!

BTW, when you do your testing with the 1.7's, make sure that you test a bit while orientating perfectly ON AXIS with the listener - I'm looking at your room pic in the first post... The speakers sound good everywhere but there is a VERY tight band where they sound amazing and image/stage well. The Dyn's typically sound better a little off axis.