The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 19 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #181 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 03:26 AM
Shackster

CHiNGOBLiNG

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

hi all. and good day. Well i am late to the party but this would be fun. IMO: reference material would be 1) on bluray: LED ZEPPLIN: The Song Remains the Same. 2) 2010 OPENING NIGHT CONCERT AT WALT DISNEY CONCERT HALL.. with GUSTOV DUDAMEL & JUAN DIEGO FLOREZ. Even though there IS a universe of unbelievable artist out there, but these 2 pics i can say WILL leave you with a smile and feel good, jam and rock out music. But i think putting electrostatic or what ever tech they are against traditional cone, is a bit off. You should break in the panels then maybe or compare the 2 and the winner goes against the cone winner....but thats me. I would love to have this job; i wish i could understand math and engineer and build my own speaker .....winner......Paradigm....maybe but i guess over all the winner WILL put a smile on your face no matter what your playing through them.

YOU GOT TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 08:17 AM
Shackster

Hmm, this is very interesting for me. I am once again getting an itch to upgrade my speakers. I have a weird mix of towers (mains & sides), surrounds and center, but they (especially the now very old towers and center) keep chugging along. I also have a pair of Epik Empires for subs, although one is offline (I need to find a suitable replacement amp). They do a yeoman's job for surround material, especially movies, but I think a really nice pair for 2-ch material is something I need to invest in.

So this will be monitored with great interest on my part.

shinksma
post #183 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 09:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Thanks once again for providing this great forum with exciting insight into the various speakers that are being auditioned here. Great way for us to get details on the various speakers all in one place for easy read and research. Keep up the good work!
post #184 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 09:47 AM
Doc
Shackster
Doc

Very interesting and exciting event. Although I am not in the market at present, I am looking forward to the results. I expect all brands should do well as they are truly great speakers, with each to offer something over the other.May be I can use the results for my future setup!

Quote:
mpednault wrote: View Post
A DIY versus Manuf. evaluation would be incredible and would most likely let those of us building DIY speakers if there truly is fruit to be had of our labor. Although I can't afford a pair of $2500 speakers, this will be an interesting read. I enjoy reading listening impressions over interpreting graphs.

I too think this should be a blind folded evaluation for the listeners so that it erases bias, preconceived notions and any other irregularities that could skew the comparisons. Dedicate someone to place and wire up the speakers. Blind fold the listeners before entering the room and in no way let them know which speakers they will be listening to (making sure they are blind folded before seeing which speakers AREN'T in the room!). After they've heard the test material, as soon as they leave the room they write down their impressions WITHOUT TALKING TO EACH OTHER. Only after they write down their opinions can they share their thoughts. I know this would require more time and strict "rules" but would offer up the most "accurate" way to evaluate the speakers without influences.

Looking forward to reading more!
Couldn't agree with this any more! May be in future comparisons, a DIY speaker entry be made also. As DIY is supposedly substantial savings, cost range for the DIY could be about 30 -40% of the other speakers. To invite DIY, for this comparisons, you could ask all DIY makers to submit REW results and then choose one out of all - possibly by popular vote and REW results. (I do not have a DIY speaker build).
post #185 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 09:52 AM
Shackster
Stinn

This looks like a great line up of speakers it will be really interesting to hear the results. The extra "surprises" are very tantalizing too! I can't even imagine what a $20,000 setup would sound like? I'm not sure my ears can resolve that well! Anyway, it looks great!
post #186 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 10:13 AM
Shackster

Great idea!
Love the idea of a quasi shoot out and the brands mentioned are some I've been curious to hear about. The only brand I've actually heard myself were the Martin Logans, and that was some time ago. My current L&R speakers were in that price range when I bought them 10 years ago(Linn 5140's), so I'm curious how much more you can get for your $$ these days.

Question. Have you considered having an independent person/party set up each speaker pair prior to the official audition? And is the WAF (Wife acceptance factor) going to be addressed? Its always a battle to get the household CEO to agree to speakers being too far out into the room for the sake of sound quality.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!
post #187 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 10:43 AM
Shackster

Although I've never had speakers of this quality/price, I'm interested to see the results. I am fond of Paradigm, so I'm hoping they are near the top! I'll be keeping my eye on this thread!
post #188 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 11:00 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Well, I didn't do so well in the first round, so let's see if I can make up for it here. There are some really nice speakers in this challenge which makes it hard to choose. I am a fan of Paradigm, and although I haven't heard the Studios, they are a staple of quality systems. I also have a lot of respect for Dynaudio, who I think make some incredible speakers. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and vote for the Emerald Physics CS2P. I just have a good feeling about them... A little unconventional, and they look great on paper. Can't wait to see the results, and what else comes up in this thread!

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #189 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 11:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Otis857 wrote: View Post
Great idea!
Love the idea of a quasi shoot out and the brands mentioned are some I've been curious to hear about. The only brand I've actually heard myself were the Martin Logans, and that was some time ago. My current L&R speakers were in that price range when I bought them 10 years ago(Linn 5140's), so I'm curious how much more you can get for your $$ these days.

Question. Have you considered having an independent person/party set up each speaker pair prior to the official audition? And is the WAF (Wife acceptance factor) going to be addressed? Its always a battle to get the household CEO to agree to speakers being too far out into the room for the sake of sound quality.
Speaking of WAF, I showed the picture of the ML's to my wife from the web and she said they were stunning and wouldn't mind a pair in our living room, than I showed her the price and she didn't even flinch. I can't wait to see how they do in the shoot out. I have the best wife in the world!
post #190 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 12:14 PM
Shackster

This looks like a great event! Speakers have always been the bane of my existence (not only as a lover of audio, but as a bass player and a recording engineer), so it's great to see events like this happen.

I'd love to check out speakers of this caliber for my home or home studio (I'm currently using ProAc Studio 100s driven by a McIntosh MC2105 in my studio and a pair of Avalon NPIIs driven by MC30s in my living room), but before I did, I would want to spend a bunch of time and effort in getting the acoustics of my rooms improved. I went through a lot of different speakers in my home studio before doing minimal treatment and it was shocking how much difference some bass traps and first reflection control made. About a month ago, Airshow Mastering here in Boulder presented Sam Berkow of SIA Acoustics for a seminar in room design and it was quite an eye, or should I say, ear opener, especially the shape of the room (I came up in the studio world when live end/dead end was the rage. I was a skeptic but it wasn't until now that I've heard the reasons why it didn't work out so well.). I've always enjoyed hearing music in David Glasser's room at Airshow and while I've always attributed a lot of it to his speakers (Dunlavy with Pass Lab amps (I think those are the amps he uses)), but now it's clear that the room/speaker synergy is where the magic really happens. It looks like the room for this test is great! Have fun, guys! I'm looking forward to the results.