The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 02:38 AM
Shackster
Ben

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Wow, this is truely a great idea. More places should have great things like this. Things like this is why we are apart of the best forum on the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 02:53 AM
Shackster
bomholt

It's a very difficult task to evaluate speakers that are so different. They need to be placed differently, each one optimized based on measurements. And is one going to deal with the backwave from dipoles or not? If not, they will sound very different from a speaker with a baffle because of all the reflections that are coming off from the frontwall.
post #13 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 02:54 AM
Senior Shackster

This is fantastic idea and I only wish more AV sites would do the same as hands on comparison is I think truly the best form of evaluation, as has been shown at the Flat Panel Shootout in NY. This leads me to ask if it would be possible for the event to maybe be recorded and edited highlights shown on HTS if possible.
Many thanks from the guys in the UK and good luck.
post #14 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 02:56 AM
Shackster

Jealous of those who get to attend. I would love to hear some of the super-high end equipment that will be on display. It seems you guys have put a lot of thought into this and I'm sure it will pay dividends, enjoy!
post #15 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 02:58 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I think this evaluation would be a blast to attend. There are some very interesting looking speakers and some that I haven't ever heard of. I think you should instal cameras and offer a live feed so we can all attend! Now that would be pretty cool!
post #16 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 03:00 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

I have been a Home Theater enthusiast for approximately 3 years. Unfortunately, I have spent a significant amount of money on something that I believed was a good buy.

It wasn't until I started joining Home Theaters forums such as this one that I realize I had made a mistake. It is my personal opinion that equipment evaluation such as this one are very important for people such as myself. I am starting to get more serious about my "sound."

I have learned that you do not have to spend too much to achieve good sound, but you do need to know what you are buying is worth it, and it will do what you want.

Again, I cannot thank you guys enough for doing such good work all of the time. I have learned a lot from you, and I can't wait for the evaluation to be finished.
post #17 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 03:08 AM
Shackster
Danielson

I always love seeing shootouts. I'd also love to see the speakers you've chosen to test be compared to some of the DIY offerings we have all come to know and love. It would be interesting to see how Statements or even Mini-Statements would compare in this evaluation, but there are many other great builds in this price range also.
post #18 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
omholt wrote: View Post
It's a very difficult task to evaluate speakers that are so different. They need to be placed differently, each one optimized based on measurements. And is one going to deal with the backwave from dipoles or not? If not, they will sound very different from a speaker with a baffle because of all the reflections that are coming off from the frontwall.
Actually we have been optimizing based on imaging and soundstage, instead of measurements, although if we could get better measurements without sacrificing imaging and soundstage we will move them slightly.

For back waves... in my room we have what is called the Precedence Effect. This is where the rear radiation is delayed to a point that our ears only pay attention to the direct sound from the front. Of course my front wall has absorption panels also, so a good bit is absorbed anyway.

Quote:
tele1962 wrote: View Post
This is fantastic idea and I only wish more AV sites would do the same as hands on comparison is I think truly the best form of evaluation, as has been shown at the Flat Panel Shootout in NY. This leads me to ask if it would be possible for the event to maybe be recorded and edited highlights shown on HTS if possible.
Many thanks from the guys in the UK and good luck.
That would probably be a good idea, although the write-up and editing of it is sooooo time consuming that it would have to be someone else willing to come in and handle the video recording. Then again, we would have to give up some secrets... hmmmm. :

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #19 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
Danielson99 wrote: View Post
I always love seeing shootouts. I'd also love to see the speakers you've chosen to test be compared to some of the DIY offerings we have all come to know and love. It would be interesting to see how Statements or even Mini-Statements would compare in this evaluation, but there are many other great builds in this price range also.
This is something we hope to do at some point in time. The biggest issues is getting someone to lend us the speakers... then shipping them, since they don't generally have boxes pre-made for them.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #20 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 03:20 AM
Shackster

This is quite a list of contenders...all worthy of their reputation and price.

It must be quite a tough exercise to put this evaluation together...
If getting a set of simple speakers delivered without damages and on time is a huge task in itself - imagine the logistics and effort to put all these together and to top it some of them are Electrostatic...

anyways... I suggest a future evaluation include some Active speakers in the price range like the Neumann KH310 too - so as to get a better idea how the studio/pro grade stuff compares to these hi-fi stalwarts...

Fidelity from a spouse is expected, fidelity from recording, storing and playback is the holy-grail.

Give me fidelity, or give me death...