The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 22 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #211 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

If you have recommendations for good demo music... we have a dedicated thread for this. Please let us know your favorites:

Good Demo Music - Good Imaging Music - Your Favorite Demo Music

Quote:
skeeter99 wrote: View Post
If we can make track suggestions, I've always loved Jennifer Warnes: Way Down Deep track. Beautiful vocals, great instrumentation and can really showcase a speakers low end prowess (or lack thereof).
Great song. I have The Hunter CD. Danny Richie with GR Research always plays a few of her songs in his room at the shows. Vienna Teng is another good one he plays.

Quote:
Emkay wrote: View Post
Here is my recommendation for a classical test piece:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=dm_mu_dp_trk1

but preferably in a higher resolution format than this one!
I struggle having to listen to this... just not my flavor. For whatever reasons it just not do anything for me. I guess I don't get it. No offense.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 08:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Rich

I am curious as to how the ARX's from the $1000 shoot out will compare. $2500 is a lot more money and I am sure will buy a better speaker but how much better is the big question for me in this shoot out?
post #213 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 08:55 PM
Shackster

There is a lot of value in the Studio 60 speakers and for my money what is what I would pick given 50% music and 50% movies. If I listened to Classical and wanted the most clear details I would go with the Magnepan 1.7. The Dynaudio DM 3/7 would be a good choice between the two. The Studio 60 is going to be your best bet.
post #214 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 10:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

WOW that is quit the setup you have going there should be a lot of work and fun , I'm looking foreword to all you guys impressions of each speaker . it's refreshing to have a review instead of pitting each speaker against each other I wish I was there with you guys .
post #215 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 10:30 PM
Shackster
dthree

This is definitely an interesting event and I'm really looking forward to the results way more than any HT magazine or commercial review site. Would it be possible to comment on how the speakers perform in less-than-ideal acoustic conditions for those of us who have to set up our HTs in living rooms and such?
post #216 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 10:50 PM
Shackster

I'm really interested to see what the outcome is going to be from this selection, because of the sheer diversity of speaker types. Personally I love the effortless transparency of the top-end Martin Logans, but also love the dynamics and sheer slam of Dynaudios, and I'd still have trouble choosing between both of these types.

Add in the Maggies for another take on planars and the dipoles of the Emeralds, and I think choosing between them is going to be really tough as the characters are likely to be so different.
post #217 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
dthree wrote: View Post
This is definitely an interesting event and I'm really looking forward to the results way more than any HT magazine or commercial review site. Would it be possible to comment on how the speakers perform in less-than-ideal acoustic conditions for those of us who have to set up our HTs in living rooms and such?
It would be difficult to replicate other conditions to know if that is the way it will sound in any other given environment. My guess would be that you won't get the best sound in the "less-than-ideal" acoustic conditions. HT is different from two-channel... in that less desirable two-channel positioning of the mains might actually sound okay for movies. You will most likely need to be willing to reposition the mains for more serious two-channel listening... even if it is temporary, otherwise there may not be any value in purchasing speakers for the purpose of two-channel listening.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #218 of 1075 Old 10-20-13, 11:04 PM
Shackster

This would be so cool to be apart of. Maybe someone here in Texas could so something like this. My ears would probably melt hearing this type of setup especially coming from a beginner home theater setup. Hope everyone has a good listen. It's definitely one to remember .

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack
post #219 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 01:04 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

This is so exciting for me to see the shoot-out of the $2500 speakers! Why? Because after coming back for this years 2013 RMAF I have my ears set on a few speakers and am excited to see that at least 3 of them are in HTS speaker evaluation!!

The three speakers I am excited to read the reports are on :
*SvS Ultras
*Maggies 1.7's
*Emerald Physics CS2P

Out of these 3 I was able to listen to the Ultra's in the SvS demo room. I was very happy to say that I really enjoyed listening to this pair in 2-channel and multi-channel along with the other Ultra family speakers that are offered through SvS.

As for Maggies, they were not at RMAF nor did I see any dealers having maggies setup, but I am very familiar with the MMG, MMGw & MMGc. Adding the 1.7 to the mix I am again excite to read the report on the 1.7's

Last are the unique looking, but very appealing Emerald Physics CS2P. These models were not at the RMAF this year, but on Sunday (last hosted day at RMAF) I decided to take another trip there just to audition the big brother CS2.3 MK2 however these were not my cup of tea because they are setup for Bi-Amplified and I do not want to purchase or own 4 separate amps just to push a 'pair' of speakers, but I did want to get an idea what Emerald Physics sounded and these were amazing sounding pair of towers that I can see I would be extremely happy with for a very long time in my casa. So with that being said and if these CS2.3 MK2s sound like this I am curious what is to offer in the pair of Emerald Physics CS2P below the $3k price point. I really have my eyes on these! So I cannot wait to read the reported feed back from the guys here.

Picture_Shooter is standing by........ 1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4 ,..........10
post #220 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 01:18 AM
Senior Shackster
mrbashfo

I feel like this line up is pretty intense as some of the speakers are still directed towards a certain crowd. However, very nice speakers to line up against each other. I liked the previous $1000 evaluation =p

Main Home Audio/Video System Equipment List
Electronics- Marantz SR5005, Crown XLS 202D X3, Crown XLS 402D
Speakers - DIY Center, Polk RTI 12s, Polk T15s, MFW-15