The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 26 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #251 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 01:56 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
fixr wrote: View Post
An EVALUATION vs a shootout is a brilliant idea. We all know that everyone has different tastes as well as different levels of listening skills, so this is a great way to get a broad sampling of opinions on the same sets of speakers.
Agreed, although I have to admit that the $1K event's goal of recommending a pair of speakers for Sonnie to purchase did keep us focused. For the $2.5K event, we have no such goal (although Sonnie deciding he has just GOT to have one of those pairs of speakers for his own is not out of the question, right Sonnie?)

So maybe we will need to approach the evaluations in terms of suitability for some purpose. Or maybe each of us will select his own favorite and justify that choice. Or we may end up with two or three tiers that they fall into. Or just keep it simple and evaluate each on its own merits. That is something we need to decide on. Thoughts, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 02:02 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Well to be honest I've never had the chance to hear any of these speakers myself. Last time I did any comparison was between Bose, and Cerwin Vega side by side, needless to say the Cerwin Vega won hands down for my style of listening. Loud, clear and powerful lower end. I have a room full of them now and I am happy with there performance! I would love to hear some of those bad boys & compare them with what I have.. May the best speaker win!!

So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
post #253 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 02:06 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Mark Holmes wrote: View Post
As a long time Maggie owner, and a fanboy, I will be interested to find out how the new Maggies match up. For music, I have not had a speaker in my room that out performed the 3.6s. There used to be more get togethers in the Atlanta area, but not so much anymore. It was always interesting to go to another HT and see and hear others set ups. And also to compare gear in a decent listening environment.

Look forward to results.
Although the Maggies did not win the $1K event, mainly for bass performance reasons, I for one was knocked out by the Maggie sound. In fact, my audiophile-minded son is purchasing those MG12's from Sonnie, largely from my raving about them. I am drooling with anticipation at getting to hear a BIG set of Magnepans next week!
post #254 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 02:15 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
pc_light wrote: View Post
BTW, if at all possible, in addition to any "Good Demo Music" choices you receive, would it be possible to also incorporate the music selections used during the $1K eval? I know they're different animals, but it's still might help to fix an addition variable between the $1K & 2K evals.

Thanks.
Very good point. Yes, most of that music will be represented, although there will be some changes. Each evaluator gets to pick 3 favorite tracks. Mine will be the same as before. Then we are compiling what can best be described as a "medley" track which will include key segments - 10 to 20 seconds each - from many of those tracks used for the $1K event, plus other segments of tracks we feel will be particularly revealing in some way.
post #255 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 02:19 PM
Shackster

Hey all, I am looking forward to the results of this evaluation. It looks like you have a great selection of speakers included in the list.

I would also like to see a future comparison/evaluation of some popular DIY speakers with similar manufactured speakers. For DIY, I would like to see the GR Research N3 compared to store bought speakers.
post #256 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
skeeter99 wrote: View Post
I just discovered Vienna Teng from Danny! No offense you don't like her stuff, that's one of the great things of music, there's flavors for everyone I'll meander over to the other thread so as to not muddy up this one
Oh no... I like Vienna Teng. To clarify, here is my post:

Quote:
Quote:
Emkay wrote: View Post
Here is my recommendation for a classical test piece:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=dm_mu_dp_trk1

but preferably in a higher resolution format than this one!
I struggle having to listen to this... just not my flavor. For whatever reasons it just not do anything for me. I guess I don't get it. No offense.
This refers to the classical piece that was linked in Emkay's post.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #257 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
pc_light wrote: View Post
BTW, if at all possible, in addition to any "Good Demo Music" choices you receive, would it be possible to also incorporate the music selections used during the $1K eval? I know they're different animals, but it's still might help to fix an addition variable between the $1K & 2K evals.
I know several of those will be included either in full or parts of a medley recording that Wayne is working on. We want to work a few new songs in the mix too.

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Agreed, although I have to admit that the $1K event's goal of recommending a pair of speakers for Sonnie to purchase did keep us focused. For the $2.5K event, we have no such goal (although Sonnie deciding he has just GOT to have one of those pairs of speakers for his own is not out of the question, right Sonnie?)
Thaaaaaaat's Right!

I am fairly certain that I will keep a pair.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #258 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 02:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Keep a pair from this group and the A5s too? You looking to start a retail outlet there Sonnie? Okay, I guess I have a couple pairs of extra speakers lying around too . . .
post #259 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 03:18 PM
Senior Shackster

With all the emphasis on this being a comparative evaluation as opposed to a competition, here is my criteria for declaring an ultimate winner:
If more than half of your review panel chooses to invest their personal hard earned cash to purchase the same model after the evaluation is complete. Wouldn't that be definitive?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?
post #260 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Keep a pair from this group and the A5s too? You looking to start a retail outlet there Sonnie? Okay, I guess I have a couple pairs of extra speakers lying around too . . .
Not sure they will actually be from the evaluation group.

Quote:
phreak wrote: View Post
With all the emphasis on this being a comparative evaluation as opposed to a competition, here is my criteria for declaring an ultimate winner:
If more than half of your review panel chooses to invest their personal hard earned cash to purchase the same model after the evaluation is complete. Wouldn't that be definitive?
I would say that would be pretty definitive, although we all picked the A5's last time and I was the only one that purchased a pair.

Cedar Creek Cinema