The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 28 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #271 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 08:30 PM
Senior Shackster

It might give a sense of uniformity between the speakers as well helping with speaker placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 09:28 PM
Shackster

Pam

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Any chance you guys might need a photographer to document the event? I'm just kidding of course, but know I'll be dreaming of listening to this system in person.
Have fun!
post #273 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Of course Pam... any photographer that would like is welcome to visit and take a few shots of us guys to use for any of your modeling magazines.

Oh wait... OH I see now... you want to take pictures of the speakers. uh-huh... oh yeah... now I see how it's gonna be with you photographers.

I think we may have to do with our own cameras for this, although a professional photographer would be nice.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #274 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 10:19 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
phreak wrote: View Post
With all the emphasis on this being a comparative evaluation as opposed to a competition, here is my criteria for declaring an ultimate winner:
If more than half of your review panel chooses to invest their personal hard earned cash to purchase the same model after the evaluation is complete. Wouldn't that be definitive?
That would be pretty conclusive! It will be interesting to see how the evaluation results end up affecting our personal equipment "investments" over the coming months.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I would say that would be pretty definitive, although we all picked the A5's last time and I was the only one that purchased a pair.
So far.....

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I am surprised with Klipsch stand on not being involved in this audition. It makes me not so interested towards recommending them in the future. What are they hiding?
The Klipsch in the $1K event were strong contenders. Remember that the models we favored were separated by little more than hair's widths of differences in the big scheme of things. I personally have nothing but good to say about them from the $1K evaluation experience.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Not that I am aware of, as I don't really see any benefit with it, although I remember Wayne saying he would have a mono track on stand by.
There will be at least a portion of a track in the "medley" in mono, and perhaps a whole track. Since the $1K event, I have found a mono track to be useful during setup to help find speaker locations with the tightest imaging - ideally it should image tight in the center. So a centered mono track at the beginning of our track sequence for setup purposes, followed by a left-only and then a right-only version might prove useful, and easy to come up with by mixing a stereo track with strong L/R correlation to mono. If we find them not to be, we can just skip them.

Quote:
Bruce wrote: View Post
This sounds like a hoot!! Sure wish I could be a fly on the wall listening. I'm sure you guys will all have a great time. Must say I haven't really listened to any other speakers since I got my Dynaudio towers about 10 years ago. I know mine like lots of power -- Parasound 2003A (300 wpc)-- and I'm really interested to see how all the testers report on their observations. For music, I really like female vocals and instrumentals on my Dynaudios.
The Dynaudios are one of my main speakers of interest in this group. They will get LOTS of scrutiny from my perspective.

Quote:
Coco'sMom wrote: View Post
Any chance you guys might need a photographer to document the event? I'm just kidding of course, but know I'll be dreaming of listening to this system in person.
Have fun!
Sorry, although we are a handsome lot, we are trying to keep the focus on the speakers.
post #275 of 1075 Old 10-21-13, 11:10 PM
Shackster

Pam

The photos would be of the speakers, of course... and perhaps of the guys responding to what they heard... what else would there be? Sorry, I'm not a professional photographer, just an advanced amateur that's interested in everything concerning photography & videography, which explains the interest in home theatre & audio systems.
post #276 of 1075 Old 10-22-13, 01:05 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Coco'sMom wrote: View Post
The photos would be of the speakers, of course... and perhaps of the guys responding to what they heard... what else would there be? Sorry, I'm not a professional photographer, just an advanced amateur that's interested in everything concerning photography & videography, which explains the interest in home theatre & audio systems.
Just kidding with you! We would like to have the event well documented, but to be truthful, the whole thing gets a little boring in photo or video terms. One could probably video the whole weekend and then end up editing it all down to a semi-interesting 10-minute video summary.

We could probably do a little better than we did at the $1K event, and will snap more stills and maybe a short video or two of the speaker setup process. Lighting is cinema-subdued, not really meant for filming, and we probably do not want to bring a variable into the room with additional lighting, or the clutter or inconvenience.

The live webcam idea is a little intriguing, to me anyway. It is fascinating what boring stuff people will sit and watch if they know it is live. Then there is the 'secret surprise" (sounds like a bad casserole recipe!) system that we would have to shut off the feed for.

When it gets right down to it, we get pretty busy and focused on the audio side of things and the video side takes a back seat, if not becoming a distraction. But we will see what we can do.
post #277 of 1075 Old 10-22-13, 08:47 AM
Shackster
Chris

Looking forward to these reviews!! Can't wait for the day that I could actually afford to buy any one of these options. Would most likely make my current Axiom setup sound like a home theatre in a box lol.
post #278 of 1075 Old 10-22-13, 08:53 AM
Senior Shackster
Paul

Most Dyns like to have lots of juice feeding them. I'm curious how well that little Anthem is going to deal with those, as others have mentioned. Nice lineup. I couldn't (read: too lazy) read through this whole thread, but hopefully these won't be evaluated with all of the speakers in the listening space. I'm of the opinion that those Maggies are going to need some space in order to truly exhibit the imaging they are capable of.
post #279 of 1075 Old 10-22-13, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

They recommend a minimum of 200 watts and are rated at 4 ohms, thus we have 310 watts for them with the Anthem. However, if needed, we got plenty more power.

As with the $1,000 event, each set of speakers will have their own time in the room, while others are placed in the hallway outside the room. Give us a little bit of credit for at least acting like we know what we are doing.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #280 of 1075 Old 10-22-13, 10:45 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

can you webstream this event or would the server requirements be to intense and expensive ? I think TWIT uses cachefly for bandwidth of videos. this would be a great podcast as well.