The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 33 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #321 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 08:16 AM
Shackster
JayMB

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I am certainly looking forward to hearing a discussion of the merits and weaknesses of each of the entries. In the future, it might be interesting to include DIY speakers as a comparison, as well. For many of us DIY types, we have our bias' regarding the quality of our homemade speakers and though we can compare measurements, having the speakers in the same room with side by side comparisons adds a whole new aspect to things. Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 09:14 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Looking forward to your review on speakers merits as I am considering a speaker upgrade. For me its movies 60% of the time vs 40% music. I have a SVS 9.2 setup and interested in your SVS Ultra findings as I am considering a speaker upgrade.
As a suggestion try AIX digital uncompressed audio. The recordings allow for either 2 channel or multi channel setup 24/96. I have several recordings and really enjoy them.
Your evaluation is a great opportunity for me to narrow my choices for my future speaker upgrade.
Many thanks

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #323 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 11:13 AM
Senior Shackster

I would love to hear all these speakers in person and listen to all the differences between them. Sadly though they are all out of my price range. One of these days though I will try to get a pair of klipsch.
post #324 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 12:21 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
bxbigpipi wrote: View Post
I would love to hear all these speakers in person and listen to all the differences between them. Sadly though they are all out of my price range. One of these days though I will try to get a pair of klipsch.
I feel your pain. I became hopelessly hooked on music at the age of 13. Over the course of my teenaged years I managed to acquire some 600+ vinyl records. Marriage and kids put an end to all that and I lived with a very modest system for many years. Reading the trade magazines about the latest, greatest audio systems was torture, as I felt I would never be able to afford any of the stuff I read about. Hang in there and Never say Never! After my kids were grown and gone, I re-entered the game. A lot had changed in the 25 years since I had purchased any audio equipment, with price being the major difference. In 1976 I paid $1250 for a complete 2-channel system with turntable (Microsieki), cassette (Tandberg), integrated amp (Tandberg), and speakers (Advent). In 2000, I couldn't find a really decent pair a speakers for that amount. The major difference between now and then? That system satisfied me for over 25 years. Since 2000, I've changed Pre/Pro and speakers 3 times. Amplifiers twice, and disc spinners 5. What have I learned? For music I'm returning to Analog. My 30 year old vinyl sounds better than any of the digital remasters I've heard. Home Theater is caught up in an endless cycle of format changes requiring new equipment way too frequently. I will continue to subscribe to the magazines and newsletters as well as web sites such as this one, but hopefully my Oppo BDP-105 will last longer than the '83 did and I can get off the upgrade merry-go-round for a little while. Meanwhile, I'm saving up for a killer turntable and a pair of small-room floor standers.
post #325 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 02:58 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Yep. And if you can get good sound from it and happen to own Audyssey and want to try to improve on that sound, it could be an option for you, but not everyone has "auto-eq"... especially those listening to two-channel. I think Audyssey of more particular targeted at home theater systems and not serious two-channel systems.
I agree. I have XT32 and love it, but I use it to "put the icing on the cake," rather than to compensate for setup compromises. It seems to be more effective for home theater than for 2 channel in my system.

I am very excited about this event. I like how you guys have followed a learning curve since the beginning of the $1000 event. You appear much more organized, and your goals and expectations are more clearly defined. This is shaping up to be quite a show.
post #326 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 03:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Sub Icon Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Hey guys,

Great idea on the comparison and also for making it fun. No doubt you had lengthy discussions on how to go about these tests and what equipment to use. There is no perfect setup for subjective listening but you have come up with a very respectable scheme. It will be very interesting to hear the different opinions on the various test systems. I want to see if there are any hands down winners and how individual preferences come into play.

One note of caution - it is possible to fatigue your ears. If you guys are partying every night and watching awesome movies on awesome systems it definitely can impact your hearing sensitivity. There are OSHA charts that show how long a person can be exposed to different SPL levels before there is temporary or permanent damage. So if you guys are sitting around listening at 100 db there is a time period after which your temporary hearing ability will be diminished. I have worked in studios and live sound and it is a real issue.

Good luck and we will all be waiting to see the results.

Greg
post #327 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 05:12 PM
Shackster

Quote:
goyop wrote: View Post
Hey guys,

Great idea on the comparison and also for making it fun. No doubt you had lengthy discussions on how to go about these tests and what equipment to use. There is no perfect setup for subjective listening but you have come up with a very respectable scheme. It will be very interesting to hear the different opinions on the various test systems. I want to see if there are any hands down winners and how individual preferences come into play.

One note of caution - it is possible to fatigue your ears. If you guys are partying every night and watching awesome movies on awesome systems it definitely can impact your hearing sensitivity. There are OSHA charts that show how long a person can be exposed to different SPL levels before there is temporary or permanent damage. So if you guys are sitting around listening at 100 db there is a time period after which your temporary hearing ability will be diminished. I have worked in studios and live sound and it is a real issue.

Good luck and we will all be waiting to see the results.

Greg
good point. Better to be safe than sorry.
post #328 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 05:26 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Nice choice of speakers! I’m particularly interested in the Dynaudio and SVS. I’ve been drooling over the Ultras since they came out, but unfortunately there are no wood veneer options and I don’t do piano black!

I like the “evaluation” concept vs. a “shootout”. I agree with what was noted the first post, that what the panel might pick as the winner won't necessarily translate to your taste or room. Every time I’ve bought a speaker based solely on a review or someone’s recommendation, I’ve been disappointed!

Regards,
Wayne
post #329 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 06:26 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Nice choice of speakers! I’m particularly interested in the Dynaudio and SVS. I’ve been drooling over the Ultras since they came out, but unfortunately there are no wood veneer options and I don’t do piano black!

I like the “evaluation” concept vs. a “shootout”. I agree with what was noted the first post, that what the panel might pick as the winner won't necessarily translate to your taste or room. Every time I’ve bought a speaker based solely on a review or someone’s recommendation, I’ve been disappointed!

Regards,
Wayne
sure there is, but it's only black oak.
post #330 of 1075 Old 10-23-13, 07:30 PM
Senior Shackster

frank

I second the review of the Dynaudio and SVS. Two years ago I was in the market for a sub and was seriously considering SVS but along the way I ran into a few extra bucks and was fortunate to get a nice deal on the JLAudio Fathom 112. Another year down the road I was able to pick up another Fathom....the 110 which I feel I stole it from the guy selling it b/c he was moving to the Big Apple and he practically gave it away. Couldn't be happier.
However it would be nice to read an independent, unbiased report with the Dynaudio's and the SVS.
Several months ago I purchased a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110A speakers as a second system that I use listening to a lot of music. I switch back and forth between my 804's and and the Dy's. I like different venue s as well as different styles of music. I have had a love affair with both B&W and Dynaudio since the nineties. At that time I was like a little kid looking into the window of my favorite toy store but did not have two nickels to rub together. Thank God things had changed sometime after and now now I have both the popcorn and the butter. I am very greatful.

With that said I just wish I could be there to listen to all of these great speakers and the rest of the system.
Enjoy fellow enthusiasts!

Mitsubishi HC6800/Da Lite Screen
Outlaw 990/7700,
Emotiva XPA1 x2
B&W 804S mains/HTM3S CTR,3-DS7's surrounds/rear center
JL Audio Fathom 110,113
Sony 777 multi disc DVD player,Oppo BDP93
Comcast/Cisco Hub,Audio8,Monster,Tributaries power cord,BJC,Legend Audio
Furman Elite,Bryston BDA1 DAC,Chordette

http://community.webshots.com/user/rubbersoul662001[/url]