The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 35 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #341 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 02:25 PM
Shackster

ovillegas

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

The only bad thing about these events is that it is far away from where I live . Other than that, it is great to see that this site continually makes the effort to evaluate equipment that people like me would otherwise not have a chance to get an in depth description or review of the product. I can't wait to hear about the results so I can daydream about what would it be like having a pair of speakers like any of those in my living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 06:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Although I've been reading and following this tread the only speakers in this contest that I'm familiar with are the Paradigm studios. My son has them in his man cave setup and I really like them so I envy your job of listening to the entire group of them.
post #343 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 06:50 PM
Senior Shackster

I understand this evaluation done in terms of where the speakers are listened to. Is there any way after this study is done to provide some guidance to those of us in different locations about the merits of the speakers in different environments such as our own homes?
post #344 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Maybe we can talk Sonnie into ruling that the RAAL model with the most votes next poll gets in no matter what, so we have the RAAL tweeter represented.
The Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower with the RAAL is automatically in the next event.

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
As Sonnie has said, our partying extends about as far as a second glass of lemonade.
Ah-HA!!! Caught you. So YOU were the one that drank all the lemonade. Yep... we had our suspicions and now we know we were right.

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
I understand this evaluation done in terms of where the speakers are listened to. Is there any way after this study is done to provide some guidance to those of us in different locations about the merits of the speakers in different environments such as our own homes?
I think I have elaborated on this a pretty good bit already. If it works out, we hope to be able to place them closer to the wall and report on that location vs. the best location we find, for whatever that might be worth.

I still stand behind the thought that buying speakers that are not going to sound their best because you can't place them in their best location is a BAD idea. I struggle with it making any sense to buy a pair and not get the most out of them that they have to offer. I am scratching my head. It defeats the purpose of buying them to begin with.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #345 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 07:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Sure. Place them in your room in the best way that you can do. But comments your thoughts on other types placements or rooms might be useful.
post #346 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

We certainly won't have time to place them in any other rooms... that would be a whole lotta work. We can't comment on placement in other type rooms if we don't evaluate those. It would all be speculation. As stated though, we hope to try them closer to the wall to see what happens with each set. But we won't have time to evaluate them for very long in those placements, as we want to give the best placement our most amount of time.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #347 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 07:40 PM
Senior Shackster

Comments about now hard it is to find optimal placement might be useful .
post #348 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Agree... we did that in the previous event and plan to do that again in this one.

I have a pretty wide area up on my front stage too, we will have some good options for placement closer to the wall. I am just not sure how much time we will have to experiment with that, but we will see. Hopefully we can gather some kind of useful info that will help.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #349 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 07:47 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
Comments about now hard it is to find optimal placement might be useful .
That is exactly what we did in the first event.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #350 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 07:54 PM
Shackster

My System

First off, like many others, I want to thank the HTS crew for doing another great speaker evaluation. I am looking forward to the results.

Sonnie, sorry I missed you at RMAF. I forgot to PM you leading up to it. I ended up not being there as long as I had hoped. Maybe next year.

As far as the speakers, I own the Ultras and so I can't wait to see what you guys think of them. At RMAF the seats were, IMO way too close. These are big, powerful speakers not Audioengine desktop nearfield speakers. The room (like many others at RMAF) is just too small.
Also, they had them really toed in this year, less than last year. I have adjusted my toe in a few times. They definitely need some toe in, but I thought it was too much. Dan Marks of SVS told me that because of the side firing woofers, too little toe in might affect the bass. So consider that when placing them, not just imaging.

I also spent alot of time in the Emerald Physics room, this year and last. They sounded great again. I am curious to see how you guys like them when they are not part of the "system" that Wally has them set up with at RMAF, especially the bass w/o a sub (or subs, he had 2 this year).

I think the SVS and Emerald Physics will dominate in the bass department

I have no experience with maggies, but I did hear the Paradigms, Dynaudios and MLs. All sounded good, but none wowed me. Still, it was only a brief session with each in a showroom, never in my house for an extended listening session.

Also, like many others, I think having the Ascend w/ Raal in the next round will be great. I would also love to see the Tekton get evaluated. On the forums it seems there are fanboys or haters for the Pendragons, so it would be cool to see them in a non-biased evaluation with other known speakers.

Oh, another track that is a good demo is Private Investigations by Dire Straits.