The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 36 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #351 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 07:56 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

awsome selection of speakers being evaluated here,i'm excited to read about the results,what a great weekend,i'm interested in seing how the Dynaudio DM 3/7's and SVS Ultra Towers fair in the evaluation.
for the home theatre evaluation part of it have you chosen which movies will be used ? great fun and
good times i thank you and our sponsors for including us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 08:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
This will be a great event for sure. I can't wait to see what the big setup is. Did I read Sonnie is smoking ribs for the event? Maybe they can bust out the grape cookies as well. Not sure anyone will get that one.
post #353 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 08:50 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
ovillegas wrote: View Post
The only bad thing about these events is that it is far away from where I live . Other than that, it is great to see that this site continually makes the effort to evaluate equipment that people like me would otherwise not have a chance to get an in depth description or review of the product. I can't wait to hear about the results so I can daydream about what would it be like having a pair of speakers like any of those in my living room.
Sonnie's place is far from where everyone lives.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #354 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 09:00 PM
Shackster

I love the selection of equipment in the lineup. It makes me want to make changes to my system. HTS keeps showing me the way to an outstanding home theater.
post #355 of 1075 Old 10-24-13, 09:06 PM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

Great to see these shootouts. I know it takes a ton of work to pull these off but for anyone looking to purchase these can be invaluable as it provides a great baseline and at least some reference before purchasing. With the retail market going more and more ID this type of service is greatly appreciated.

I have heard a lot about the Maggie 1.7's (pretty much all good) and am very interested in the SVS speakers as well. Not familiar with Emerald Physics but the ability to add choices to the list is always a good thing. Looking forward to the results.

JD
post #356 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
NewHTbuyer wrote: View Post
Sonnie, sorry I missed you at RMAF. I forgot to PM you leading up to it. I ended up not being there as long as I had hoped. Maybe next year.

Oh, another track that is a good demo is Private Investigations by Dire Straits.
Yep... I knew there was someone else we were suppose to meet there. It seems like once we got there it was WIDE open for us... and the little bit of spare time we thought we would have just totally disappeared into thin air. Actually we did a few things we had no idea we would do, such as some private auditions... and long discussions with various people/manufacturers, etc. Before we knew it, it was way past our bedtime.

I plan to be there next year again, it was way too much fun. I may go to Axpona in May too.

Quote:
moparz10 wrote: View Post
for the home theatre evaluation part of it have you chosen which movies will be used ?
We have some ideas. Probably Pacific Rim will be one. I have several other new releases that we can watch, including some music concerts to choose from. We might let each one of us pick a selection per night.

Quote:
B- one wrote: View Post
This will be a great event for sure. I can't wait to see what the big setup is. Did I read Sonnie is smoking ribs for the event? Maybe they can bust out the grape cookies as well. Not sure anyone will get that one.
Seems like I remember those grape cookies being mentioned before.

I would really like to cook some ribs and hope I can make time for it. I may cook them Thursday afternoon, so that it doesn't interfere too much with our Friday and Saturday stuff. We can eat out those nights.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Sonnie's place is far from where everyone lives.
heehee.... The backwoods of Alabama! Don't run over my goats, chickens, opossums and pigs when you start down the driveway.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #357 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 04:10 AM
Elite Shackster

This is a great idea.

Any chance of doing nearfield / close mic measurements, this would be interesting to see the difference?

Will be interested to see the difference in the Maggies and Martinlogins vs others. Looked at both of these (Maggies & ML) in different rooms, both sounded good but i think they could have been setup better, Maggies sounded quite boomy (not alot), the ML sounded very bright and very little bass.

Do all of these have matched speakers for HT?

Look forward to the results

Thanks for your time
post #358 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 08:21 AM
Shackster

First, thanks for keeping this in the "realistic" range. $2500 is a lot, but I can easily see saving that much to put towards a decent system. Like another post said, this is about the price range where you really start to see quality. I'm looking forward to the results! Which leads me to my second point...

I wish this kind of thing had been around when I bought most of my stuff. I got my system 9-10 years ago when forums and "research" were not quite what they are today. I'm happy, but I probably could have done better... especially seeing as the speaker company is now out of business. Admittedly, I'm not a serious audiophile, but I am your typical frugal perfectionist. That means if I'm gonna spend the money, I'm going to do it with the long-term in mind (i.e. quality stuff) and get something I like. Maybe the results of this Evaluation will be enough to push me over the edge towards some new speakers.

THANKS SONNIE and HTS!
post #359 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 08:45 AM
Senior Shackster

The fact that so many of you liked the Klipsch in your last shootout I'm starting to second guess my investment in Paradigm speakers lol, that being said I can't wait to hear your thoughts on

- Dynaudio DM 3/7
- Emerald Physics CS2P
- Paradigm Studio 60

Dyn ALWAYS gets nothing but good things said about them, Paradigm...well I'm a fanboy and the EPs, curious as to what they do.

Sounds like a lot of fun to do the shoot out and I'm sure it's a lot of work for all those involved, but thank you!!!
post #360 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Any chance of doing nearfield / close mic measurements, this would be interesting to see the difference?
Possibly... if we have time. I believe it will require taking them outside in an open area. If we can keep the cows, pigs, chickens and goats quite for long enough.

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Do all of these have matched speakers for HT?
EP does not have a fully 5.0 compliment, you would have to have room for a floorstanding center and surrounds.

Similarly, Magnepan has a center, but it is not exactly small at 10.5" tall and 36" wide... and it only extends to 200Hz, so you have to either get the matching subwoofer, which can also be a stand, or cross it over a lot higher than generally recommended for HT.

The remaining four have a fully compliment of typical 5.0 systems, some with more options than others.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!