The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 37 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #361 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I have noticed that "Sonnie" is getting a lot of thanks. While I certainly appreciate your thanks (thank you), please remember the other guys that dedicate their time to travel to my home in Alabama.

Leonard drives up from Gainsville, Florida, Wayne flies in from Lincoln, Nebraska, and Joe flies in from Madison, Wisconsin. Quenten drove up from Tallahassee, Florida for our last evaluation to help us out in the absence of Joe. These guys come in on Thursday afternoon/evening and spend 3-5 nights away from home, leaving their family behind (to join another family). Then they to go back home and spend more time preparing the results.

Granted it is fun, but there is some laboring behind it all as well. I appreciate what these guys are willing to do... flying and driving all over the country to cover the audio shows and attend these events like this... then going back home and spending literally days writing it all up. You gotta love this hobby to do it... and you gotta love them for what they do.

It could go without saying, but you also get honest and unbiased results. We do not fluff it up just because we have a sponsor or two participating... you have seen that we tell it like it is. We do not hold back... and we speak in easy to understand language. It is genuine and it is real... no spin!

Then... THEN! We have YOU... our members. Just a flat out stellar group of people that sincerely appreciate what we do. Thank you for helping us make Home Theater Shack what it is. This would absolutely NOT be possible without you. Thank you... Thank you... Thank you!

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 10:39 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I have noticed that "Sonnie" is getting a lot of thanks. While I certainly appreciate your thanks (thank you), please remember the other guys that dedicate their time to travel to my home in Alabama.

Leonard drives up from Gainsville, Florida, Wayne flies in from Lincoln, Nebraska, and Joe flies in from Madison, Wisconsin. Quenten drove up from Tallahassee, Florida for our last evaluation to help us out in the absence of Joe. These guys come in on Thursday afternoon/evening and spend 3-5 nights away from home, leaving their family behind (to join another family). Then they to go back home and spend more time preparing the results.

Granted it is fun, but there is some laboring behind it all as well. I appreciate what these guys are willing to do... flying and driving all over the country to cover the audio shows and attend these events like this... then going back home and spending literally days writing it all up. You gotta love this hobby to do it... and you gotta love them for what they do.

It could go without saying, but you also get honest and unbiased results. We do not fluff it up just because we have a sponsor or two participating... you have seen that we tell it like it is. We do not hold back... and we speak in easy to understand language. It is genuine and it is real... no spin!

Then... THEN! We have YOU... our members. Just a flat out stellar group of people that sincerely appreciate what we do. Thank you for helping us make Home Theater Shack what it is. This would absolutely NOT be possible without you. Thank you... Thank you... Thank you!
Sonnie, You are absolutley right, You guy's take the time and great effort to do the things that most of us can't or don't know how to do. Without the sacrifice that people like you, Leanord, Wayne, Joe, Qenten and others put forth we could not have the best forum on the net. I would like to thank all of you for making HTS what it is.......Thank you....

Onkyo TX-NR809 HT receiver
HPS-4000,SR-70, John Allen, Klipsch Heresy, Speakers for L.C.R.
QSC GX-5 power amp for L+R mains
Chase Home Theater PRO-10's for surrounds
Behringer EP 4000 pro amp for the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub
Oppo BDP-93 universal BD player
Toshiba HD XA2 HD dvd player
Sony VW-VPLPRO1 1080p PJ
Cinema White 1.0 gain 106" fixed frame screen
Dish network with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey
post #363 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 11:22 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post

Sure wish I was in the neighborhood to get by and hear them. There is something to be said for the simplicity of the single-driver design in the right cabinet. Sounds like you nailed it. I will have to make a note of your driver choice for future possible DIY reference.
Aw , its only a 9 hour drive or so, should be a snap for young folks. And you can hear two sets of speakers and tube as well as SS equipment in the loop. Now that has to be almost tempting but not quite too tempting.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #364 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 12:58 PM
Shackster

I know I'll be watching the results with interest. I was out of this hobby/addiction for many years, but now I'm back in, I am planning an upgrade to my main speakers. I'll be interested to read the evaluations, and try to pick up on the differences between marketing hype and real impact of the various schools of thought represented. Most of what I've looked at has been priced higher than this, but I'm also always open to the bargains - the 'you'd have to spend 3 times as much to get any real improvement' gems that always seem to pop up.

The $20K 2 channel set up will be of particular interest. I've toyed with the idea of rounding out the theater with matching PSB mains to what I have now (for surrounds and center), then taking over another room for a dedicated 2 channel....
post #365 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 01:28 PM
Senior Shackster

This will be a pretty good reading... Unfortunately, i must admit being biased toward the Magnepans. I have owned several Maggies over the years and must admit to be enamored over their coherent sound. When you see reviews on their speakers on other sites/mags, it is pretty obvious that their freqency response goes all over the map, but their overall sound belies that fact.

Their major and primary issue is that the bass response does not go down the deep end, 50Hz is about all you can expect. You really need a subwoofer to get some bass but not many subs can match the speed of the Mag panels, resulting in some muddy bass at the crossover point.

Enough said... let the games begin.
post #366 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 02:06 PM
Shackster

I may have missed it in the other posts, but you are integrating each of these speakers into an existing theater? How is that going to play out with voicing between the 'visiting speaker' and the 'home team' surrounds?
post #367 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

They will be evaluated on their own... not integrated into a home theater system. The evaluation is for two-channel speakers.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #368 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 02:30 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
I understand this evaluation done in terms of where the speakers are listened to. Is there any way after this study is done to provide some guidance to those of us in different locations about the merits of the speakers in different environments such as our own homes?
Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
Comments about now hard it is to find optimal placement might be useful .
By all means, we will do our best to report on factors that would affect setup in other types of rooms / other room locations. Actually trying them out in other rooms is not practical. Trying them in other room locations would be nice, but the time flies and I am guessing this will not be high enough priority to fit in. And we will report on difficulty of setup and important setup factors for each. I am going to make it a priority to try to video the setup process for each of the speakers for YOuTube posting, so those are documented. This seems to me like the single most important additional task beyond what we did for the $1K event, and adds no "extra steps" to our process, just one of us remembering to start and stop camera at the right times. And it will be a good reminder for us as we do our writeups later.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
The Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower with the RAAL is automatically in the next event.
Super! RAAL tweeters are in the next event!

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
Ah-HA!!! Caught you. So YOU were the one that drank all the lemonade. Yep... we had our suspicions and now we know we were right.
Doh! i thought that having to take three bathroom breaks during the movie would be a giveaway.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
I still stand behind the thought that buying speakers that are not going to sound their best because you can't place them in their best location is a BAD idea. I struggle with it making any sense to buy a pair and not get the most out of them that they have to offer. I am scratching my head. It defeats the purpose of buying them to begin with.
I agree, as previously stated. $2500 is a lot to spend on speakers that will not be allowed to perform at their absolute best.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
Seems like I remember those grape cookies being mentioned before.

I would really like to cook some ribs and hope I can make time for it. I may cook them Thursday afternoon, so that it doesn't interfere too much with our Friday and Saturday stuff. We can eat out those nights.
Now you've done it! You've started the pre-salivation sequence!

As good as that sounds, don't over-commit yourself. When it gets hectic, it is not as much fun, and we have to keep it fun, or it will lose the magic. We can not allow that to happen.

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Any chance of doing nearfield / close mic measurements, this would be interesting to see the difference?
This is a very good idea, but also very time-consuming. Have not mentioned it to Sonnie, but a round of outside measurements as part of the packing up process might be a consideration. Near-field in the room would have to be gated, would only be good at high frequencies, above 1 KHz or so. But that is a possibility, too.

Having done a lot of this, both indoor and outdoors, there is no way to do it quickly. It requires attention to detail or the results are meaningless.

I put together a super-ugly super-handy fixture that makes polar response curves go pretty fast, but it is big, would have to be flown in a separate suitcase or large duffel bag. We'll see.

The listener location measurements like we did for the $1K event are pretty simple, we will definitely do those again, and will consider adding other measurements if time allows.

============================

ALSO: I echo Sonnie's appreciation to all the members and readers and sponsors whose support makes an event like this possible.

And the team he has assembled to help is truly a dream team... A dream to be able to work with such talented and neat people... And a dream-come-true to be included on that team. There are times I have to rub my eyes and pinch myself and ask, "Is this really happening?" It is surreal to say the least, and I personally cannot find the words to adequately express my appreciation for being selected as a participant, although I have surely tried. Thanks again, Sonnie!
post #369 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 04:13 PM
Shackster

This is a great idea, it should help a lot of people research their future projects and evaluate where their current stands both objectively and subjectively (if that is going to be included in the reviews/conclusions). I'd love to see some of the less expensive home theater complete kits (maybe like Daytons with some assemply required) but I might be on the lower end of the home theater requirement spectrum here
post #370 of 1075 Old 10-25-13, 04:34 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

I thought the $1000 dollar thread leading up to that event was good but this one is even better.
Just in the last couple of pages all kinds of gold tidbits ranging from pondering the inexplicable piano black as an only color option on some speakers (what's up with the blinding blue LEDs on everything too), to some very thoughtful discussion on speaker placement, room acoustics, and test methods have been bantered about. Well done to the forum members.
For the HTS evaluation team, you know we all love y’all and appreciate the good work y’all do so this is not intended to put any pressure on the team, but you guys set the bar pretty high the first time out of the gate....and to say a repeat performance is "expected" would be somewhat of an understatement. Y’all are going to have to hunker down and dig deep to make sure that nice juicy $1k event is not going to be held as the golden standard of excellence. Again no pressure, but once you feed the beast the beast will always want more.
the HTS evaluation team.