The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 45 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #441 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 12:44 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

It will take a while to put results together and edit. While we will be better at it the second time around, I think we will have more detailed impressions from more of us this time. I know mine will be more extensive, as I was not well for the last one.

What I will give you immediately is the review of the ribs. Overall, I have to rate them as some of the best high end ribs that I have experienced. The flavor of the sauce complimented the ribs nicely, without becoming harsh upon first touch to the tongue nor with the residual taste. The inner detail of the rib meat was maintained while the sweetness of the caramelized sauce did not provide any intermodulation distortion. The imaging was stunning. As I was eating the first rib I felt like I could reach out and touch the pig right in front of me. The aroma created a very wide nasal stage. I noticed no unnatural coloration in the meat nor the sauce.

The placement with these was quite easy. I started with ribs at 7:00, brat at 12:00, and boneless pork at 3:00. All were placed approximately 1.5 inches from the boundary to avoid any reflections, but equidistant. The duration of the evaluation was very short. A repeat trial was needed to validate the first pass. slightly different placement was used for the second trial, but the results were completely repeatable and the items all quite insensitive to placement.

Transient response on the ribs was excellent. Very little rebound or resistance. The brat provided slightly more skin resistance. Supply capacity was far beyond what was needed, with ample flow of ribs upon demand. Ribs this esoteric might not be appropriate for the palate of a novice, however. I would leave this caliber of BBQ to those with the ability to appreciate the intent of his art. I would also only eat them with spikes under the plate and a fork made from brazilian walnut.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #442 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 12:50 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Wait - you forgot to mention the goat!!

Had Wayne and I got here a little sooner, we could have seen Sonnie choose who was going to be dinner!
post #443 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
dsm1212 wrote: View Post
Will the contest focus on the main speakers from these families? I'm always interested in surround reviews because personally I have a much more difficult time finding something I like for those positions.
Yes... just the mains in a two-channel setup, except for the 5.0 system we will review. For surrounds, we would have to review the full 5.0 system that included the surrounds.

Quote:
cobraguy wrote: View Post
Trying to match surround speakers IS a bit of a chore when you buy a different brand than the mains.
I am not sure it is all that big of a deal really to exactly match your surrounds, although similar dynamics in the speakers would probably be preferred. The center is more likely to matter a good bit, although we used my ML Theater tonight with a different brand speaker and it blended pretty well.

Quote:
wssmith wrote: View Post
Would there be any benefit to recording snippets of each speaker, and then uploading those recordings either here or elsewhere for forum members to hear? I know nothing can replace being in the listening room but maybe an uploaded recording could provide us with a slight taste of what each speaker offers?
As Leonard eluded to (here in the theater room)... it would be like video recording screen shots of different projectors with our iPhone. It probably all sound bad.

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
Are there any pics being posted?
Yes... we should have lots of pics. None of us have makeup on though, so you get what you get.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
What I will give you immediately is the review of the ribs. Overall, I have to rate them as some of the best high end ribs that I have experienced. The flavor of the sauce complimented the ribs nicely, without becoming harsh upon first touch to the tongue nor with the residual taste. The inner detail of the rib meat was maintained while the sweetness of the caramelized sauce did not provide any intermodulation distortion. The imaging was stunning. As I was eating the first rib I felt like I could reach out and touch the pig right in front of me. The aroma created a very wide nasal stage. I noticed no unnatural coloration in the meat nor the sauce.

The placement with these was quite easy. I started with ribs at 7:00, brat at 12:00, and boneless pork at 3:00. All were placed approximately 1.5 inches from the boundary to avoid any reflections, but equidistant. The duration of the evaluation was very short. A repeat trial was needed to validate the first pass. slightly different placement was used for the second trial, but the results were completely repeatable and the items all quite insensitive to placement.

Transient response on the ribs was excellent. Very little rebound or resistance. The brat provided slightly more skin resistance. Supply capacity was far beyond what was needed, with ample flow of ribs upon demand. Ribs this esoteric might not be appropriate for the palate of a novice, however. I would leave this caliber of BBQ to those with the ability to appreciate the intent of his art. I would also only eat them with spikes under the plate and a fork made from brazilian walnut.
PRICELESS!

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Wait - you forgot to mention the goat!!

Had Wayne and I got here a little sooner, we could have seen Sonnie choose who was going to be dinner!
Nothing like having it fresh from the garden... or hog pen in this case.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #444 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 01:22 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Wait - you forgot to mention the goat!! Had Wayne and I got here a little sooner, we could have seen Sonnie choose who was going to be dinner!
We'll, that is why we don't want to rush reviews. The bottom end on the goat was a bit soft and the rest was rather veiled. I just felt the image was a little weak due to the processing technology. Stove vs grille is no contest.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #445 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 01:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:

We'll, that is why we don't want to rush reviews. The bottom end on the goat was a bit soft and the rest was rather veiled. I just felt the image was a little weak due to the processing technology. Stove vs grille is no contest.
So this is what happens to a LSU fan when you send them to BAMA country! Lol, well the food sounds delicious and has me hungry after reading this post. Now it's time to get to business and get us some speaker reviews.
post #446 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 01:51 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Sonnie and Leonard are off to bed - Wayne and I are just completing the track list we are planning to use. I will post that up when we get it finalized - likely in the morning.... well, later this morning I guess...
post #447 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 08:02 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #448 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 08:32 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

This is definitely one of the most anticipated comparison events that I've looked forward to reading the results and thoughts on. $2500 is really a sweet spot price wise as its still within a lot of people's reach and really starting to dabble into the mid-fi space I think.

If there's a way to take some high res shots of each of the speakers fronts/backs/etc and in their listening positions for the evaluation that would be great. Helps us feel more like we're there

Have fun!

Scott
post #449 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 09:52 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post

I am not sure it is all that big of a deal really to exactly match your surrounds, although similar dynamics in the speakers would probably be preferred. The center is more likely to matter a good bit, although we used my ML Theater tonight with a different brand speaker and it blended pretty well.

I would agree, to a point. I think it depends highly on what you use your surround system for. If it's mainly for movies, then I would agree with you that it's much easier to find adequate surround speakers. But if you like to listen to music via 5ch or 7ch, then I would suggest matching your surround speakers the best you can with your mains - especially the center speaker matching.
I was into 5ch music DVD's for awhile (still am to a certain extent). It took me several tries at getting my surround speakers to match the tonal quality of my mains. I have PBN Montana EPS main speakers and I went through Amrita's, NHT's, M&K's, Snell's, B&W's, Polk's, Definitive Technology's and a couple others to try and find matching surrounds. In the end, it came down to liking the sound/tone matching of the Snell's and B&W's the best with my PBN Montana's for music playback, but I liked the M&K Tri-poles the best for movies.
Then PBN started making center/surround speakers and all was good.
post #450 of 1075 Old 11-01-13, 10:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

Very nice line up of speakers. I will be very interested in how Dynaudio stacks up. The new offering from SVS looks promising. Can't wait to read the evaluations from the group!

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.