The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 06:56 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
This is a great thing to do for the forum. I would never be able to compare a group of speakers like that. Hopefully I will be able to put together a higher quality setup than my 3.1 system in the near future.

Family Room-JVC LT-32X667, Sony BDP-S350, ATT Uverse DVR
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX-NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, Apple TV, WII, PS3 Super Slim, Mohu Leaf OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 06:59 AM
Shackster

Steve

I can't wait to hear the results of this shoot out as I fall right into this bracket. I recently sold my Salk Songtowers and center and moved to the SVS Ultras up front. This was a big improvement from me and I am glad i did it. This will be a great thread to follow.
post #43 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:07 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
This is going to be a great read, can't wait for the $2500 dollar shoutout
post #44 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:26 AM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
SteveY wrote: View Post
I can't wait to hear the results of this shoot out as I fall right into this bracket. I recently sold my Salk Songtowers and center and moved to the SVS Ultras up front. This was a big improvement from me and I am glad i did it. This will be a great thread to follow.
Hi Steve, I'm curious about the 'big improvement" moving from Salk's to SVS Ultras as Salks have a very good reputation on speaker building. What part was a 'big' improvement (response, detail, imaging, etc.)? I really like the SVS Ultra looks and also SVS products, so not doubting you, just that Salks are made with some nice drivers/parts also with a good designer behind them.

I'm also very interested in this evaluation! I've heard some of the speakers on the list, but not a all (such as the SVS Ultras and the Emerald Physics). This should be interesting.

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
post #45 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:35 AM
Shackster

Jim

My System

This is a great event, however, will this prove which speaker is truly better... Or that each speaker sounds differently? Comparing them is part of the fun of being an audiophile. The giveaway is fun too of course!
post #46 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:36 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

That top picture with all the speakers looks awesome! What a great collection of products. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing all the measurements and reading your thoughts on each system. While I'd be happy to own any of these speakers, the ones that interest me the most are the SVS Ultra Towers and the Emerald Physics CS2Ps, and I'm hoping one of these two will come out on top. What are the details of the $20,000 stereo system?
post #47 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:37 AM
Shackster

Another great shoot-out to look forward to. I probably should have done a little forum digging before posting this, as the question I am about to pose may have already been answered, but it is early and i am already posting this response, so here it goes:

Have you done shoot-outs like these where a DIYer builds a set of speakers in the same price range that are then used in shootout and compared to the retail speakers? Or perhaps a restored vintage set that were either a) the same relative cost when new adjusted for inflation - or - b) similar in cost now if you take into account finding them, having them shipped if required and then the cost of rebuilding, re-foaming, etc? After a few years chasing the latest new speakers around, I have now collected and restored a decent size collection of vintage speakers. I am always surprised how in-expensive some of these units can be purchased for (25$ set of B&W's DM3000's at a garage sale anyone?) Or, sometimes they are even free when they only need new foam (I have a plethora of RS series Infinty's - they were all either cheap or free due to foam rot).

Just thought about this after seeing a few postings from members who say they don't have this kind of $$$ right now to spend on speakers. A few hours of time spent here on HTS helped me learn enough to put together some quite respectable sounding vintage systems on the cheap.

Anyway, I just thought about this due to one of my other hobbies that runs on money (vintage cars). You can spend 1k to 100k on a reconstruction, but some of the best hot-rodding comes from either re-purposing old parts in new ways or making some yourself.

On that note, I am looking forward to the shoot-out results...with the direction my HT addiction has taken the lately, I may own some of these units in 10 or 12 years
post #48 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:44 AM
Shackster

I'm really looking forward to seeing how all these speakers stack up. I think the price point is just about where it needs to be for this evaluation. Kinda wish I could conduct this kind of test in my studio!
post #49 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:46 AM
Senior Shackster

This kind of thing is what makes the forum great. A really well thought out comparison that most of us could never do on our own. My only wish is that I could loan you my own ears!
post #50 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:48 AM
Senior Shackster

Good luck with this project.

One thing about shootouts is that it looks like you’re asking each product to do the same thing, which implies “fairness” or a level playing field. Except that everyone has different taste. This might manifest as a preference for one type of material for the participants in this “shootout”, i.e. action movie, drama, fantasy, etc. This is going to be true of all reviewers, so don't take this personally.

If you subject all of the systems to “one” type of movie, you might miss out on qualities that will revealed by and appreciated by a different type of listener. You may well reveal to your readers what your preferences are, but that may not be the same profile of preferences as your readers.

If you can, I’d suggest that your evaluations be further focused on reporting that might read “On drama with a lot of dialogue, the X system, dialogue intelligibility was higher making for a more relaxed, intimate experience; while on action movies the dialogue intelligibility didn’t matter, but the speakers shortcomings on macro dynamic swings was more evident; and finally, with music videos . . . .

Doing this lets the reader know what products “sing” under what conditions. Each listener reads with their own “agenda” and grading performance more finely will provide a more useful report.

Despite my long windedness here, I think this will be a fun event to be at. Hope you all have fun.