The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 50 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #491 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 10:36 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
We have discovered another issue with our evaluation. We wanted to try each speaker on the stage to get an impression of how well it would do closer to a rear wall, in a more realistic location for most people. So far, everything sounds better farther out into the room like we found with the last sessions. Adding this location, combined with the fact that we have more tracks in our sample, is extending the time it takes. But to me, speakers of this quality beg for more listening. The dilemma is just how much time to spend on each speaker.

Of course part of the problem is that we are trying to be more thorough with the evaluations and give as much info as possible.

This is fun, but it is a challenge.
I am going to point out that we started talking about the time spent while I was sitting in the "Kirk" location (captains chair, MLP for those scoring at home) - obviously, I am boggarting good music listening time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #492 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 10:40 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Yeah, but it was Sonnie that we kicked out of the chair.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #493 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 10:45 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
Man you guys are a cold bunch... Kicking a man out of his chair in his own home theater. What a tough bunch you guys are.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #494 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 10:53 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Man you guys are a cold bunch... Kicking a man out of his chair in his own home theater. What a tough bunch you guys are.
Could be worse - we could have subjected him to my cooking!

After about a day and a half of activities, I must say how pleased and excited I am to be part of this. And, I have also discovered just how much more I have to learn to "catch" up to these guys.
post #495 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
EXACTLY! Don't let Joe poor-mouth you all... as I (moi) was the one penalized first!!! I am the one that had to suffer and shorten my time.

Oh... and it's the FRONT wall, not the rear wall. It is in front of me, not to my rear.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #496 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 11:10 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

While I won't give any hints or teasers about the speaker evaluations themselves, I don't have a problem talking about the process as we go. We are learning a lot about how to get to the best locations for the speakers and how to gather the most information.

We are concluding that stages, like the one Sonnie has for his HT, are not a good idea for serious 2 channel listening. The height of the speaker is not ideal for music, but fine for movies with the screen height. Also, we continue to confirm that for best soundstage farther out into the room is generally better, up to the point that the listening position can accommodate. Rear ported and dipoles seem to also benefit more from moving away from the front wall.

Speaker toe in angle has been consistently found to be critical for best image presentation, more with some speakers than others, but to some degree with all.

These sessions also confirm what I learned last time about listening position. I can learn a lot from listening from the second row, or even walking around the room. The limits of the sweet spot and the ability to reveal detail can be learned from outside the prime listening position. When I hear the delicacy of how some speakers handle things like harmonies from the back row, I know there is something special going on. Not having the distraction (perhaps a poor choice of words there ) of the image and soundstage presentation can actually afford attending to other aspects of the sound.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #497 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 11:13 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I did not say "rear wall," no not me.

post #498 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 11:42 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

When I had my ML setup I found that the speakers did their best 3-5' from any walls... I am assuming you are finding the same results with other types of speakers. My Paradigms were the first speakers that I had tried close to the walls and they sounded good but I imagine they would have sounded better away from the walls too. My LaScalas are in the corners against the wall and they sound awesome... I don't have the room to try them away from the walls so they will stay where they are.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #499 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 11:42 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
While I won't give any hints or teasers about the speaker evaluations themselves, I don't have a problem talking about the process as we go. We are learning a lot about how to get to the best locations for the speakers and how to gather the most information. We are concluding that stages, like the one Sonnie has for his HT, are not a good idea for serious 2 channel listening. The height of the speaker is not ideal for music, but fine for movies with the screen height. Also, we continue to confirm that for best soundstage farther out into the room is generally better, up to the point that the listening position can accommodate. Rear ported and dipoles seem to also benefit more from moving away from the front wall. Speaker toe in angle has been consistently found to be critical for best image presentation, more with some speakers than others, but to some degree with all. These sessions also confirm what I learned last time about listening position. I can learn a lot from listening from the second row, or even walking around the room. The limits of the sweet spot and the ability to reveal detail can be learned from outside the prime listening position. When I hear the delicacy of how some speakers handle things like harmonies from the back row, I know there is something special going on. Not having the distraction (perhaps a poor choice of words there ) of the image and soundstage presentation can actually afford attending to other aspects of the sound.
Nice post! Very insightful. If you don't mind me asking, about how far from MLP are you setting the speakers up at? 5ft,10ft etc...... How far does that put it from the front wall approx.? How far apart are they being placed? I know each speaker will vary but I'm sure by now you guys have a fairly good idea of approximate placement in the room correct?
post #500 of 1075 Old 11-02-13, 11:49 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

We will post the measurements for the final listening positions as well as pictures. If you refer to the $1000 eval results, the position of the Arx turns out to be pretty good for most speakers. We keep finding that it is a good starting point.