The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 57 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #561 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Ask the man something -- anything! -- about audio and guaranteed he has an answer. He forgets nothing, and if he hasn't done it himself he's done research on it.
You are soooo right about this. I was super impressed by his knowledge and experience.

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
We have actually spent the last hour or so working on balancing out Sonnie's subs and integrating the Catalysts. Mark has been providing his considerable expertise - it is quite amazing what they have done to the response. Maybe we can get Wayne to post it up when things wind down....
Yes... Wayne plans to show and tell the steps of Mark's recommendations to smooth out my bass without EQ. Of course we ultimately needed EQ, but we fixed quite a few drastic/glaring issues that made EQ'ing much easier.

Quote:
kingnoob wrote: View Post
Do people get to here these things in person? or is it a controlled event for processionals in a sound-room?
We have closed sessions for now, especially while we do the evaluations. It can get crowded rather quickly. If we allowed 4 or 5 folks to come in, it would be fun, but disastrous for the evaluation getting complete.

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
I believe he's saying with the speakers on the stage they are above the listening position. Hence the reason they have to put the speakers so far out into the room to get them off the stage. Toe in IMO is pretty important.
Yep... exactly. The height does not effect every speaker, but getting them away from the wall does. The stage really needs to go for two-channel reasons. It won't really matter for HT. Toe-in has indeed been very important in getting the right soundstage and imaging... and even frequency response.

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
I strongly recommend the golden triangle for setting the L & R speakers and your seat.
Rarely have we found the "golden triangle" as the best position...although some are close.

Quote:
shinksma wrote: View Post
The one thing you can test with heavy metal or black metal etc is that it does show how fatiguing some speakers can be after a while - if you can listen to two or three Opeth albums and still feel like you want more, the speakers are probably providing some good details in those harsh overdriven tones without turning them all into a tweeter-destroying wall-o-white-noise. And for a real test of bass and sub-bass, try some sludge-ambient-drone metal by a band called Sunn O))) (yes, the multiple right brackets are part of the band name). It may not be considered "music" by some, but I like it. Hmm, think I'll go put some on right now...
I will be doing a LOT of listening between now and the next event and will try to come up with some metal that we all won't get tired of after about 10 seconds of listening.

Quote:
On the other hand, your discovery of non-hit album tracks from Dire Straits that you described in another post highlights another realization of music - the hits aren't necessarily representative of the whole catalog, and may, in fact, be misleading. Lover Over Gold is my favorite DS album, and I still hope endlessly that it will get the surround treatment that Brothers In Arms and some Mark Knopfler solo albums got. Telegraph Road is probably my favorite DS song.
Not having been all that serious into two-channel listening, I have missed out on a lot of full album listening, outside of a few of my favorites of course. Now that I have been doing a LOT more two-channel listening, I have been experimenting with a good bit of variety of music and discovering some of the music that I have been missing. Lots of fun!

Quote:
JQueen wrote: View Post
While you guys are listening to 2500 dollar speakers and eating all this great food, I'm listening to a 4 and 1 year cry as I finish my grilled cheese..
Just keep in mind that we are truly blessed because we have our A5's...

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #562 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 12:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
Rarely have we found the "golden triangle" as the best position...although some are close.
That's strange - were you going with more distance between the speakers, or more distance to the listener? In other words, approximately what angle from the prime seat to either one of the mains did you tend to use?
post #563 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

It seems almost universally that they are wider apart and closer to the listener. I haven't really checked the exact angle... I think it varies a little from speaker to speaker.

For us, it just seems to be more about depth of soundstage. If we don't have it, toss them out the door. We can get great clarity and detail, with excellent imaging... and most of the time a respectably wide soundstage, but if they lack that depth of soundstage, it is like they are missing something, so we do our very best to get that depth. That seems to be the characteristic that makes them magical to us.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #564 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 09:29 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Well, I am back home and I really feel like I could sleep all day - staying up until 3am every night will do that to you!

I just want to start by saying what a great pleasure it was to spend those three days with Wayne, Leonard, and Sonnie - they are great enthusiasts and even better people.

We heard some great speakers over this past weekend - and Mark's Catalyst 5.0 system was a real treat.
post #565 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 10:18 AM
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
The one thing you can test with heavy metal or black metal etc is that it does show how fatiguing some speakers can be after a while - if you can listen to two or three Opeth albums and still feel like you want more, the speakers are probably providing some good details in those harsh overdriven tones without turning them all into a tweeter-destroying wall-o-white-noise. And for a real test of bass and sub-bass, try some sludge-ambient-drone metal by a band called Sunn O))) (yes, the multiple right brackets are part of the band name). It may not be considered "music" by some, but I like it. Hmm, think I'll go put some on right now... On the other hand, your discovery of non-hit album tracks from Dire Straits that you described in another post highlights another realization of music - the hits aren't necessarily representative of the whole catalog, and may, in fact, be misleading. Lover Over Gold is my favorite DS album, and I still hope endlessly that it will get the surround treatment that Brothers In Arms and some Mark Knopfler solo albums got. Telegraph Road is probably my favorite DS song. Hope the listening sessions are going well (should be wrapping up by now?), shinksma
Agreed completely, I feel a good quick metal song would test high quality speakers perfectly. Heavy bass lines, quick defined kick, intense highs..
post #566 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 02:57 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
The one thing you can test with heavy metal or black metal etc is that it does show how fatiguing some speakers can be after a while - if you can listen to two or three Opeth albums and still feel like you want more, the speakers are probably providing some good details in those harsh overdriven tones without turning them all into a tweeter-destroying wall-o-white-noise. And for a real test of bass and sub-bass, try some sludge-ambient-drone metal by a band called Sunn O))) (yes, the multiple right brackets are part of the band name). It may not be considered "music" by some, but I like it. Hmm, think I'll go put some on right now...

On the other hand, your discovery of non-hit album tracks from Dire Straits that you described in another post highlights another realization of music - the hits aren't necessarily representative of the whole catalog, and may, in fact, be misleading. Lover Over Gold is my favorite DS album, and I still hope endlessly that it will get the surround treatment that Brothers In Arms and some Mark Knopfler solo albums got. Telegraph Road is probably my favorite DS song.

Hope the listening sessions are going well (should be wrapping up by now?),

shinksma
Well, we have some SikTh, some Dillinger Escape Plan, Deftones, Dysrhythmia, could probably come up with some fairly interesting tracks among us. Maybe we will sneak a few snippets into the next round.
post #567 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 03:09 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
jamesfrazier wrote: View Post
Agreed completely, I feel a good quick metal song would test high quality speakers perfectly. Heavy bass lines, quick defined kick, intense highs..
All of these characteristics are part of many of the tracks that we have. Metal rarely affords great ability to determine how much detail there is in any of these, however, as there is so much going on in the music constantly. The bottom line is that we picked the music that we felt would allow us to evaluate many characteristics best. All of us are familiar with and even love much metal, but for our purposes it just did not seem as effective as what we used.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #568 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 03:10 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Well, I am back home and I really feel like I could sleep all day - staying up until 3am every night will do that to you!
I would not know about that staying up til 3am thing. I did not make it that far. I did provide some surround effect ZZZs from the back row chair at times though.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #569 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 03:17 PM
Senior Shackster
Kyle

Forget the Mc-rib,its Probably a lot better tasting & Healthier to Grill your own ribs
It would be mind blowing probably to hear these $2500 speakers in person
post #570 of 1075 Old 11-04-13, 03:23 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

It was a great time. We put in long hours on it, but it was a pleasure, every minute. I can't say enough great things about Mark Seaton and his contribution to the weekend. We all learned a great deal from watching him tweak Sonnie's subs and sharing his knowledge and experience with us most of the weekend. He has some very impressive speakers himself, though not in the price range of the others. Getting to review the Saunders system was also great.