The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 59 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #581 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 10:14 AM
Senior Shackster
 
kevin360's Avatar
Kevin
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 255
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I honestly did not have a favorite myself. I liked several of them and could live with just about any of them. I would probably only toss one in that group, but that doesn't mean it is not a great speaker, it just means it is not what I would want.

I think Wayne may have thought he had a favorite until we did a little blind comparison tonight between two speakers and he was surprised by the outcome.

I do not plan to get rid of my A5's anytime soon... they are seriously under-priced, although they do not have quite the low-end extension most of these do, they are not far off.

Ah, come on - you had a favorite or two. I am surprised to read that there was one you'd actually toss, but I certainly understand the fullness of your comment and that points up one of the inherent problems with a shootout - the vagary of personal preference (you and I could have different priorities, or be willing to work with different weaknesses).

Blind comparisons can be real eye openers. It's funny how we hear when our brains are deprived of all of that additional knowledge.

Low end extension is no big deal when one has subs on hand. In fact, I'm directing the bottom end away from my Magnepan 3.7s and to a pair of DefTech SuperCube Refs via a Bryston 10B Sub XO. As this is a home theater forum, most will have active bass management available. As with all things, it's a matter of give and take: in my case, I'm quite sure that the distortion introduced by the additional component and cables is more than compensated by the reduction in distortion of the speakers. Of course, that supposition has not been confirmed by a blind comparison.
kevin360 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #582 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 11:27 AM
Elite Shackster
 
Owen Bartley's Avatar
OJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,958
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
marty1 wrote: View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I toe my mains in a bit further.....I'd lay money on it that she doesn't even notice

Marty
Mrs. Marty1: "Honey, what's wrong with the speakers? Do they sound funny to you?"
Marty1: "uh... no, not at all, whatever do you mean?"

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
Owen Bartley is offline  
post #583 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
 
Sonnie's Avatar
I'm a redneck!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 22,554
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
roger1014 wrote: View Post
Really interested in how the ML ESLs work out.....
Unfortunately were unable to include them, as we had an issue, possibly caused in shipping, that we did not discover until we started setting them up. We are having another pair sent to Wayne in a couple of weeks for a solo review of those.


Quote:
kevin360 wrote: View Post
Ah, come on - you had a favorite or two. I am surprised to read that there was one you'd actually toss, but I certainly understand the fullness of your comment and that points up one of the inherent problems with a shootout - the vagary of personal preference (you and I could have different priorities, or be willing to work with different weaknesses).

Blind comparisons can be real eye openers. It's funny how we hear when our brains are deprived of all of that additional knowledge.

Low end extension is no big deal when one has subs on hand. In fact, I'm directing the bottom end away from my Magnepan 3.7s and to a pair of DefTech SuperCube Refs via a Bryston 10B Sub XO. As this is a home theater forum, most will have active bass management available. As with all things, it's a matter of give and take: in my case, I'm quite sure that the distortion introduced by the additional component and cables is more than compensated by the reduction in distortion of the speakers. Of course, that supposition has not been confirmed by a blind comparison.
Seriously... I pretty much liked them all, however for two-channel, when I listen in Pure Audio mode, there is no subwoofer output... and I do not want to use a subwoofer, so I am "personally" looking for a speaker that can handle the low end without issues. You don't have much of a choice with the Magnepan 1.7's and down, not sure about the 3.7's, but the bass on the 1.7's and MG12's will cause issues in the upper frequencies when listening to some material at my preferred listening level. Therefore, I would not prefer them, despite the fact that an overwhelming amount of others love them. It is indeed a personal preference... and we heavily emphasize that in our opening post.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sonnie is offline  
post #584 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 12:38 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lawerenceville, GA
Posts: 48
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Sonnie, re: your Dire Straits discovery, I can relate. I added that disc on a whim to a handful of discs I took to audition some speakers, and I'm very glad i did. One of my favorite tests is on 'The Man's Too Strong', with what I call the 'crashing piano section.' On more speakers than you'd think, it's not possible to be sure what that 'noise' is, but done right, it is in fact a piano being seriously abused... Ah, the little gems we find...

Oh, and Famous Blue Raincoat...that disc made me lots of money when I was in the audio biz in the late 80's. My local PSB dealer saw the disc when I brought it in and told me it was one of the 'good' originals, all he had was a later German version. Done right, Joan of Arc does take you away from dissecting what you're hearing, and just takes you away...which in itself is a good speaker test.
english210 is offline  
post #585 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 12:48 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,363
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
english210 wrote: View Post
Sonnie, re: your Dire Straits discovery, I can relate. I added that disc on a whim to a handful of discs I took to audition some speakers, and I'm very glad i did. One of my favorite tests is on 'The Man's Too Strong', with what I call the 'crashing piano section.' On more speakers than you'd think, it's not possible to be sure what that 'noise' is, but done right, it is in fact a piano being seriously abused... Ah, the little gems we find...

Oh, and Famous Blue Raincoat...that disc made me lots of money when I was in the audio biz in the late 80's. My local PSB dealer saw the disc when I brought it in and told me it was one of the 'good' originals, all he had was a later German version. Done right, Joan of Arc does take you away from dissecting what you're hearing, and just takes you away...which in itself is a good speaker test.
All these years I thought it was a guitar making that noise.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
ellisr63 is offline  
post #586 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 01:13 PM
Shackster
 
Nuwisha's Avatar
David Shipside
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pelham,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 57
Looking forward to the results. Wishing I could attend.

There aren't any stores around me with a selection of higher end speakers anymore so I'm interested to hear people's reactions when they get to listen to new stuff.

Cheers and don't forget to enjoy yourselves when lugging the speakers around the room!
Nuwisha is offline  
post #587 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 01:27 PM
Senior Shackster
 
jamesfrazier's Avatar
Alex
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oxford, Ms.
Posts: 361
Quote:
Nuwisha wrote: View Post
Looking forward to the results. Wishing I could attend. There aren't any stores around me with a selection of higher end speakers anymore so I'm interested to hear people's reactions when they get to listen to new stuff. Cheers and don't forget to enjoy yourselves when lugging the speakers around the room!
Same here, not even a best buy to audition even budget and lower level speakers. All of my deciding and formed opinions come from reviews and personal opinions from this forum. Also wishing I could attend and hear some serious sound, can't wait for the results.
jamesfrazier is offline  
post #588 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 02:49 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
AudiocRaver's Avatar
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,565
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
When do you sleep! Lol! In all seriousness looking forward to the outcome of this evaluation. I know you guys stated it's not a shootout per say, but will you guys be offering your preference as to what your favorite speakers were in the write ups?
Sleep? Oh, that. Do cat naps count? I took a couple of those beside Gracie, Sonnie's & Angie's cat, on the sun room couch, while others were listening, but my naps were even shorter that Gracie's, so they might not qualify.

We had several up-til-3A.M. nights. Not sure if that should be seen as a brag or as an admission of poor judgment.

It was hard to stop working, but we managed a few hours each night.
AudiocRaver is offline  
post #589 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 02:52 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 101
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

This is a great thread. I am really looking forward to the results. I just posted updated pics in my build thread and as I have just painted the walls I can now see a livable room coming alive. Getting excited about the fun part of evaluating equipment now that the construction might finally end!
wraunch is offline  
post #590 of 1075 Old 11-05-13, 02:58 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
AudiocRaver's Avatar
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,565
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I will be doing a LOT of listening between now and the next event and will try to come up with some metal that we all won't get tired of after about 10 seconds of listening.
Sonnie & I pulled the Dynaudio's back into the room, at my request, after Leonard and Joe were gone. Among other tracks, we heard Dyllinger Escape Plan's Sunshine the Werewolf, very heavy, very complex, and very metal, and the Dyn's handled it beautifully.
AudiocRaver is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
$2 , 500 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome