The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:52 AM
Senior Shackster

A DIY versus Manuf. evaluation would be incredible and would most likely let those of us building DIY speakers if there truly is fruit to be had of our labor. Although I can't afford a pair of $2500 speakers, this will be an interesting read. I enjoy reading listening impressions over interpreting graphs.

I too think this should be a blind folded evaluation for the listeners so that it erases bias, preconceived notions and any other irregularities that could skew the comparisons. Dedicate someone to place and wire up the speakers. Blind fold the listeners before entering the room and in no way let them know which speakers they will be listening to (making sure they are blind folded before seeing which speakers AREN'T in the room!). After they've heard the test material, as soon as they leave the room they write down their impressions WITHOUT TALKING TO EACH OTHER. Only after they write down their opinions can they share their thoughts. I know this would require more time and strict "rules" but would offer up the most "accurate" way to evaluate the speakers without influences.

Looking forward to reading more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:53 AM
Shackster

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I'd have to say after looking at and reading about the speakers in the test, and my own life experiance being somewhat of an audiophile for 40 years the Martin Logans would be what I'd prefer in my home. The speed at which the information comes thru and the details you just don't hear on a piston type speaker makes them as close to live as I've ever heard.
post #53 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:54 AM
Senior Shackster

Ryan

I'd love to be a part of a shootout like this! Those MartinLogan's in the back sure make the ElectroMotion ESL's look small LOL. It'll be interesting to see how the ML EM ESL's compare to the Magnepan's (well the others too).
post #54 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 07:59 AM
Shackster
RLouis

No reason to limit this concept to speakers. Could also do receivers at various price points (low, mid, top end) and TVs/displays. Although TV are a bit tougher because of the complication of calibration for best performance. I'm sure people would love to see a properly staged apples-to-apples competitive comparison of the major top end AV receivers. Denon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Yamaha, Anthem, maybe Cambridge if avaialbe
post #55 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:01 AM
Shackster

This looks like a great speaker evaluation. I'm looking forward to the results. I'm assuming you're evaluating the speakers by themselves full range without the addition of a sub? Also, I'd like to see a list of the music you're going to use for the evaluation.
post #56 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:03 AM
Shackster

My System

What! No Bose?????? But seriously, this is a great idea and it should be an interesting attempt at an impartial evaluation of some interesting speakers. Can't wait for the results. Would've liked to see the TOTL GoldenEar speakers, however.

Jim
post #57 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:08 AM
Shackster

This is awesome! I wish forums would do this more often other than just reviewing one speaker - here's a chance to see how one speaker compares to a bunch so if you are in the market for a new pair and are deciding between a few in the shootout I think it provides valuable information to help someone make their decision on which one to go with!

I would like to see a few shootouts in categories up to about $10,000 - I think after that point you start to reach diminishing returns!

Keep up the good work!!!
post #58 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:08 AM
Shackster
dawgfan

I look forward to your detailed evaluations including pictures of the equipment as well as surroundings. So many times speakers sound different from room to room. We have tried various sound treatments and floor coverings with varied results. Your descriptions of the furniture, room size and other factors will be appreciated. I am very interested in your findings regarding higher end speakers as I am unable to evaluate any of those brands locally. Thanks for going to all the trouble to arrange this!
post #59 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:12 AM
Shackster

Sounds like a great event and I really like the emphasis that it's an audition and not a shootout. Everyone has different ears and tastes so it's pointless to try and claim one piece is "the best". Can't wait to read the results!
post #60 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:16 AM
Senior Shackster
Gerald

Hi, It is good to see the Magnepan and Martin logan electrostatic speakers in a shootout.. I am interested to see how they fair compared to a Cone Speaker..

Since I am in the market and was thinking of getting some Maggies. I am wondering what others thought of them..
I was wondering since you are using a Oppo and it proally has SACD/DVD-Audio capabilities are you going to play and multichannel disks either SACD or DVD-A??