The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 61 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #601 of 1075 Old 11-06-13, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
 
Sonnie's Avatar
I'm a redneck!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 22,554
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

My thinking is they would be at least as good as the Motion 12's... and should be better. It will be interesting to get Wayne's take on them once he gets them in house.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sonnie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #602 of 1075 Old 11-06-13, 03:17 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Omak, WA 98841
Posts: 9
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Thanks for doing the reviews i like to compare my opions with others
jmhenrie is offline  
post #603 of 1075 Old 11-06-13, 03:21 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
AudiocRaver's Avatar
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,565
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
My thinking is they would be at least as good as the Motion 12's... and should be better. It will be interesting to get Wayne's take on them once he gets them in house.
An interesting side-effect of getting a "problem" pair of speakers for the evaluation is getting to play with a good pair at home for awhile. Can't say I am too broken up about that. I have had some good times with the HTD Level THREE Towers - review to be published in a few weeks, probably - and am not saddened in the least to have to put up with a pair of Martin Logans for a bit. My wife was excited, too.

Leonard and Sonnie have both mentioned the benefits of taking measurements early on to see what one is working with. That is now our first step in the process. In fact, Sonnie even thought of doing it next round before starting burn-in when speakers first arrive. It can save a bunch of frustration, confusion, and wasted time. I recommend that ANYONE buying speakers have basic frequency response measurement capability to see that a pair of speakers matches well. Since the measurements are relative, even an uncalibrated omni will give the information needed (if you are going to buy one, always get a calibrated one.)

Edit: We always swap L and R positions to make sure any "problem" follows the speaker.
AudiocRaver is offline  
post #604 of 1075 Old 11-06-13, 05:44 PM
Shackster
 
Norcuron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 44
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

The heavy metal music is an interesting subject because most of the old good stuff was not recorded very well. If you are looking for some heavy metal that is recorded well for back in the day try Winger and the song "Can't get Enuff" and also try the Mortal Combat CD Various artists where the first track is "A Taste of Things to Come". Track 5 "Control" is a good demo song. The Metallica Black CD has a couple of good tracks too. I wish I was going to be there to listen to everything.
Norcuron is offline  
post #605 of 1075 Old 11-06-13, 06:07 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
An interesting side-effect of getting a "problem" pair of speakers for the evaluation is getting to play with a good pair at home for awhile. Can't say I am too broken up about that. I have had some good times with the HTD Level THREE Towers - review to be published in a few weeks, probably - and am not saddened in the least to have to put up with a pair of Martin Logans for a bit. My wife was excited, too.

Leonard and Sonnie have both mentioned the benefits of taking measurements early on to see what one is working with. That is now our first step in the process. In fact, Sonnie even thought of doing it next round before starting burn-in when speakers first arrive. It can save a bunch of frustration, confusion, and wasted time. I recommend that ANYONE buying speakers have basic frequency response measurement capability to see that a pair of speakers matches well. Since the measurements are relative, even an uncalibrated omni will give the information needed (if you are going to buy one, always get a calibrated one.)

Edit: We always swap L and R positions to make sure any "problem" follows the speaker.
How would i know if this is calibrated

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...Fcw9Qgod5VMAAg

Thank you
janick is offline  
post #606 of 1075 Old 11-06-13, 06:59 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Savjac's Avatar
Jack
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,693
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

One of the good things about the ML's is the way they open the music up and let it float about the room in a way similar to watching Anna Pavlova move about the stage to some speakers Bill Murray. They are not as adept in the home theater when it comes to some of the more heavy handed action films, but they sure try. My wife liked them a good deal for looks and sound which is almost a first. I truly hope you enjoy them.


Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
An interesting side-effect of getting a "problem" pair of speakers for the evaluation is getting to play with a good pair at home for awhile. Can't say I am too broken up about that. I have had some good times with the HTD Level THREE Towers - review to be published in a few weeks, probably - and am not saddened in the least to have to put up with a pair of Martin Logans for a bit. My wife was excited, too.

Leonard and Sonnie have both mentioned the benefits of taking measurements early on to see what one is working with. That is now our first step in the process. In fact, Sonnie even thought of doing it next round before starting burn-in when speakers first arrive. It can save a bunch of frustration, confusion, and wasted time. I recommend that ANYONE buying speakers have basic frequency response measurement capability to see that a pair of speakers matches well. Since the measurements are relative, even an uncalibrated omni will give the information needed (if you are going to buy one, always get a calibrated one.)

Edit: We always swap L and R positions to make sure any "problem" follows the speaker.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
Savjac is offline  
post #607 of 1075 Old 11-06-13, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
 
Sonnie's Avatar
I'm a redneck!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 22,554
My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
janick wrote: View Post
How would i know if this is calibrated

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...Fcw9Qgod5VMAAg

Thank you
If it does not state that it is calibrated and that they are including a calibration file, then it won't be calibrated. Buy from Cross-Spectrum Labs or straight from miniDSP (UMIK-1) if you need it to be calibrated, which is the only way I would buy one anyway. I think what Wayne was suggesting is that any mic you have lying around will work for comparing each speaker, but if you have to buy one, buy it calibrated.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sonnie is offline  
post #608 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 03:29 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
AudiocRaver's Avatar
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,565
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
If it does not state that it is calibrated and that they are including a calibration file, then it won't be calibrated. Buy from Cross-Spectrum Labs or straight from miniDSP (UMIK-1) if you need it to be calibrated, which is the only way I would buy one anyway. I think what Wayne was suggesting is that any mic you have lying around will work for comparing each speaker, but if you have to buy one, buy it calibrated.
Precisely. Thanks, Sonnie.
AudiocRaver is offline  
post #609 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 04:12 AM
Senior Shackster
 
|Tch0rT|'s Avatar
Ryan
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lower mid Michigan
Posts: 197
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
One of the good things about the ML's is the way they open the music up and let it float about the room in a way similar to watching Anna Pavlova move about the stage to some speakers Bill Murray. They are not as adept in the home theater when it comes to some of the more heavy handed action films, but they sure try. My wife liked them a good deal for looks and sound which is almost a first. I truly hope you enjoy them.
Well recorded music is just magical on the ML's. I don't notice what you describe with action movies with mine however I'm much more picky about music than HT. I do have a separate amp on mine and that seemed to wake them up a little bit more than running them off a receiver for the dynamic parts. My issue with the ML's is the center image is very touchy. Any slight positional movement and it pulls to a side, mine tend to pull to the right and it drives me nuts. I do think my kids plopping down hard on the couch makes it slide a little bit possibly causing that.
|Tch0rT| is offline  
post #610 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 05:17 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
AudiocRaver's Avatar
Wayne Myers
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,565
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
|Tch0rT| wrote: View Post
Well recorded music is just magical on the ML's. I don't notice what you describe with action movies with mine however I'm much more picky about music than HT. I do have a separate amp on mine and that seemed to wake them up a little bit more than running them off a receiver for the dynamic parts. My issue with the ML's is the center image is very touchy. Any slight positional movement and it pulls to a side, mine tend to pull to the right and it drives me nuts. I do think my kids plopping down hard on the couch makes it slide a little bit possibly causing that.
We noticed that sensitivity working with panel speakers: the Magnepan 1.7's and the 12's back in August, some with Sonnie's big M.L. Prodigy's (right model?) and with another unnamed pair fairly recently. Depending upon placement, the sweet spot - although marvelous when occupied - can be slipped out of with just a few inches or even less of head movement. Our experimenting has shown that for stereo/music use the soundstage depth and depth acuity are best with the panels (any speaker type, for that matter) away from the front wall and roughly 1/2 (or more - depending on speaker) way to the LP, plus some amount of angling outward from straight-on pointing at the LP (very little for panels/dipoles, a lot for cone speakers). With panels specifically, as they get closer to the LP and soundstage gets better, sensitivity to head movement gets worse. With most models, the allowable movement has been acceptable, but not with all. It is possible for the LP movement sensitivity - or even the ability to locate it at all (and that is one seriously restrictive sweet spot - kinda takes the sweet right out of it) - to become unacceptable without the panels even reaching the point (distance from front wall/closeness to LP) where soundstage really opens up and takes on that magical depth factor.

Does that echo your experience?
AudiocRaver is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
$2 , 500 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome