The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 62 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #611 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
|Tch0rT| wrote: View Post
Well recorded music is just magical on the ML's. I don't notice what you describe with action movies with mine however I'm much more picky about music than HT. I do have a separate amp on mine and that seemed to wake them up a little bit more than running them off a receiver for the dynamic parts. My issue with the ML's is the center image is very touchy. Any slight positional movement and it pulls to a side, mine tend to pull to the right and it drives me nuts. I do think my kids plopping down hard on the couch makes it slide a little bit possibly causing that.
Yep... a leaning couch or chair can cause the leaning image effect ... Kick the kids out of the house.

I have had this issue piddling around with the placement of my Prodigy's (you got it right Wayne). I found that they were just a little off in my measurements from the speaker to the listener and after a slight adjustment, the image centered right up. It can be from a slightly different toe-in too... a degree or two does not seem to make much difference, but if you are off by several degrees, it can not only cause the center image to be off, it can also upset the imaging.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #612 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 06:49 AM
Senior Shackster

Vertical alignment (pitch) can also affect the sound stage with panels .
post #613 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 07:09 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
jmschnur wrote: View Post
Vertical alignment (pitch) can also affect the sound stage with panels .
Sure can. Fortunately this is usually fairly well controlled, but not always. It bears verification. Point taken.
post #614 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 08:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Ryan

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
We noticed that sensitivity working with panel speakers: the Magnepan 1.7's and the 12's back in August, some with Sonnie's big M.L. Prodigy's (right model?) and with another unnamed pair fairly recently. Depending upon placement, the sweet spot - although marvelous when occupied - can be slipped out of with just a few inches or even less of head movement. Our experimenting has shown that for stereo/music use the soundstage depth and depth acuity are best with the panels (any speaker type, for that matter) away from the front wall and roughly 1/2 (or more - depending on speaker) way to the LP, plus some amount of angling outward from straight-on pointing at the LP (very little for panels/dipoles, a lot for cone speakers). With panels specifically, as they get closer to the LP and soundstage gets better, sensitivity to head movement gets worse. With most models, the allowable movement has been acceptable, but not with all. It is possible for the LP movement sensitivity - or even the ability to locate it at all (and that is one seriously restrictive sweet spot - kinda takes the sweet right out of it) - to become unacceptable without the panels even reaching the point (distance from front wall/closeness to LP) where soundstage really opens up and takes on that magical depth factor.

Does that echo your experience?
Basically yes, I haven't had a whole lot of experience experimenting with placement in my room as it's pretty small and I have to make compromises due to the TV, side couch, and my stuff behind that area. The room is 12.5'w x 20'L x 8'H. The panels are 3tf from the back wall. I sit about 8ft from the center of the two. However I just measured and noticed one sticks out father than the other... ugh fixed it but haven't tested it yet. I did notice the sweet spot seeming a lot smaller when I moved my couch closer to the speakers and TV a few months ago. I've been meaning to play with the rake/pitch. It seems like over at MLO they use hockey pucks for that purpose... heh

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Yep... a leaning couch or chair can cause the leaning image effect ... Kick the kids out of the house.
Yeah but I'm talking about them plopping down and it moving the couch just so slightly that it's not visible to the naked eye that it's out of alignment. I pretty much have to measure it before each listening session. It's usually out of alignment by less than an inch and the center image is like a magnet to the right. Not slightly to the right, noticeably pulling to the right. It drives me so nuts I've thought about putting spikes on the couch feet hah! I can't wait for the kids to leave, the youngest has 11 years before he has to pack his bags LOL.
post #615 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 09:03 AM
Shackster

slayer

Sonny, am I at Chuckee cheese?
Oh man the song "Bass I love you" would sound so sweet on any of these systems.
Sorry guys been out of the loop,hope I am not breaking any rules,with my comment.
These systems look pricey,would never be able to afford,but one can dream.

Wish They All Could Be Sony Products....:lol
post #616 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 11:13 AM
Senior Shackster

Just curious, but why weren't any of the Bowers and Wilkins speakers not part of this evaluation or shoot out? B&W are arguably one of the best speakers you can get I currently have the following set at home >

Bowers & Wilkins

B&W CM8 FLOORSTANDING MONITOR (PAIR) CM8
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/CM8.html

1 B&W CENTER CHANNEL MONITOR CM Centre
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...CM-Centre.html

B&W CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS (PAIR) CM1
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/CM1.html

B&W ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER (ASW10CM)
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...s/ASW10CM.html

I couldn't be happier with the sound, it's very pure.

Sharp PRO- 70X5FD
Pioneer VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #617 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 11:26 AM
Senior Shackster
alpha

Quote:
The Sierra Towers with the RAAL will be in the next evaluation round, provided Ascend agrees. Not sure about the Salk yet.
Nice - hopefully Ascend is on board.
post #618 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
Radtech51 wrote: View Post
Just curious, but why weren't any of the Bowers and Wilkins speakers not part of this evaluation or shoot out? B&W are arguably one of the best speakers you can get I currently have the following set at home >

Bowers & Wilkins

B&W CM8 FLOORSTANDING MONITOR (PAIR) CM8
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/CM8.html

1 B&W CENTER CHANNEL MONITOR CM Centre
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...CM-Centre.html

B&W CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS (PAIR) CM1
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/CM1.html

B&W ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER (ASW10CM)
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...s/ASW10CM.html

I couldn't be happier with the sound, it's very pure.
Initially we were only allowing speaker that are offered in a non-sheen black and I believe the CM-9, which would fall in the $2,000-3,000 MSRP allowance, is only offered in gloss black. For the next round we are not placing finish limitations on the speakers, so they can be nominated and included in the poll for voting. However, I believe our MSRP limits on this next round will be $2,500-$3,500.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #619 of 1075 Old 11-07-13, 08:21 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

Quote:
One discovery I have made since preparing for this evaluation, starting back a few weeks ago when breaking some of the speakers in, is Dire Straits. Not that I was not familiar with Dire Straits... I have always liked their popular hits, Money For Nothing, So Far Away, Industrial Disease, Skateaway, Walk Of Life, etc. Yet, never owned an album or listened to any of their other stuff until I decided to pick up the Brothers In Arms Hybrid SACD - DSD from MFSL. I was quite surprised at several of the other tracks and just how good they are. I liked them so much I have now purchased 4 more of their albums (Original Master Recordings on Amazon... some are very inexpensive). I can listen to their stuff for days and never get tired of it. Talk about some awesome sounding music... it indeed qualifies.
I don't know if your into multi-channel music but if you really liked MFSL sacd of brothers in arms you should check out the 5.1 sacd of that album in my opinion it bested the MFSL's .
post #620 of 1075 Old 11-08-13, 07:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
flamingeye wrote: View Post
I don't know if your into multi-channel music but if you really liked MFSL sacd of brothers in arms you should check out the 5.1 sacd of that album in my opinion it bested the MFSL's .
I have heard that this Album in SHM SACD is great, better than SACD + all the others Dire Straits Dire Straits, Making Movies etc.

I have the Brothers In Arms SACD and quite often use this as a reference.

I have heard that anything that Dire Straits Mark Knopfler has worked with has a generally very good sound (how true i don't know but have seen and heard this).

Also Norah Jones CD Come Away With Me, has some good subtleties, have heard this on ML Vantages and sounded great.