The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 66 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #651 of 1075 Old 11-10-13, 09:53 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
mtbdudex wrote: View Post
I was at a Home Theater meet in Clarkston Mich last night (Sat Nov-9-2013), Mark was there.
His passion for audio was evident in the conversion we had, he did mention doing some minor tweaking of Sonnie's subs....
Honestly, besides the forum banter this is my first time speaking with him face-face, a truly nice guy.

Are there any REW plot's to compare before and after?
I look forward to your review of his 5.0 home theater system.
When will that be done?
Once the individual speaker writeups from the eval event are posted, the Seaton review/article will be next, including his marvelous sub detective work, with plots and pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #652 of 1075 Old 11-10-13, 02:36 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

The story of his "sub detective work" could stand alone as an article. I think he has an extra lobe in his brain dedicated to real time FFT and impulse response processing.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #653 of 1075 Old 11-10-13, 03:08 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I think he has an extra lobe in his brain dedicated to real time FFT and impulse response processing.
He got a loquacious gene as well...

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #654 of 1075 Old 11-10-13, 06:41 PM
Shackster

Matthew

My System

Looking forward to seeing the results of the speaker evaluation. I really like Paradigm but the SVS looks very interesting.
post #655 of 1075 Old 11-10-13, 08:43 PM
Shackster
Paul

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post

Once the individual speaker writeups from the eval event are posted, the Seaton review/article will be next, including his marvelous sub detective work, with plots and pics.
Have to admit to being guilty for following this thread closely mainly for this reason.

With a boat load of Mark's finest on the way, I am keen to consume as many of these impressions as possible.

The other stuff is entertaining in the meantime

Cheers
post #656 of 1075 Old 11-10-13, 10:35 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
K1LL3M wrote: View Post
Have to admit to being guilty for following this thread closely mainly for this reason.

With a boat load of Mark's finest on the way, I am keen to consume as many of these impressions as possible.

The other stuff is entertaining in the meantime

Cheers
Hey, welcome, new HTS family member, and - so it sounds - soon to be proud owner of Mark's products. Will get to it as soon as possible.{[(You missed our discussion about Sonnie's death ray stare. Gotta stick to the plan!)]}
post #657 of 1075 Old 11-10-13, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Thought you could sneak that one by me huh? lol

I know one thing... that boat that has all those speakers on it better be a BIG boat, as those speakers are seriously heavy. I just finished packing them back up and I am telling you... just the 8c's alone are heavy enough and tricky to handle. They are like HUGE concrete blocks. I think they were heavier than any of the other speakers we evaluated. Solid as a rock!!!

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #658 of 1075 Old 11-10-13, 11:36 PM
Shackster
Paul

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post

Hey, welcome, new HTS family member, and - so it sounds - soon to be proud owner of Mark's products. Will get to it as soon as possible.{[(You missed our discussion about Sonnie's death ray stare. Gotta stick to the plan!)]}
Thanks for the warm welcome. Just realized that was my first post after joining 3 and a half years ago.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Thought you could sneak that one by me huh? lol

I know one thing... that boat that has all those speakers on it better be a BIG boat, as those speakers are seriously heavy. I just finished packing them back up and I am telling you... just the 8c's alone are heavy enough and tricky to handle. They are like HUGE concrete blocks. I think they were heavier than any of the other speakers we evaluated. Solid as a rock!!!
I may be guilty of trying to push in and wrangle some early info but will hop back in the line again after "that look" its just all the excitement.

Says something that they are so heavy, and the quality and care that Mark constructs his products with; they should make awesome surrounds with full range DSP as well if the even get moved.

Sorry, back to your regular programming. I do not wish to derail the main focus of the thread for the $2.5k speakers and jump ahead to the special bonus features until its time.
post #659 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 09:13 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

I most certainly am a dolt, I have been wondering about placement of the speakers and thinking it would be too much information for you gentlemen to put together, it would be for most of us, I look on the first page of this thread and there it is. Brilliant and down to the inch and degree. I have to say you guys are much more thorough than any reviewer I have yet read.
A heartfelt THANK YOU.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #660 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 09:25 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

See my comments in the "Reflections" thread that I just started. One has to remember that the room imposes limitations that can be very hard to deal with for some speakers. Position in other rooms will almost certainly be different. We have developed a process, however, that seems to work to extract the best of each product in the context of Sonnie's HT space. And there are some universal assumptions that are good to start with, such as some distance to front walls is necessary, and toe angle is important to achieving good imaging.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.