The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 67 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #661 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 09:57 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Understood and agreed. As readers, it is very important for us to have a bases with which to understand more of what is happening, the equipment used, the room, the placement etc so as to assist us in making mental images of the listening parameters involved. It is interesting for example to see that non dipole speakers being tested can actually wind up so far from the front wall, again, based on the room and sitting positions being used. Why you might ask, because it sets a benchmark that is not vague and tends to propose thoughts and results that may differ from what other writers postulate, for example the golden triangle, putting speakers close to wall to get certain reinforcements etc, and the choice to follow the provided thoughts or try something different. As you say, all rooms and gear will pose their own set of positives and negatives, you gentlemen have provided a huge range of information with which we can use to start or finish in our own rooms.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 10:31 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

One would think that if a particular speaker has difficulties more than others with an average room then it may be quite likely that it would be problematic in others as well. Very interested in seeing the results of the event.
post #663 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 11:50 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
J&D wrote: View Post
One would think that if a particular speaker has difficulties more than others with an average room then it may be quite likely that it would be problematic in others as well. Very interested in seeing the results of the event.
Generally true. I would not count Sonnie's HT as typical, however. There are several dips and crests in the room response that are managed with EQ for HT, but we are not using any correction for the 2 channel reviews. That would add too many variables to manage.

Just keep all of the info in context, if that is possible.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #664 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Yeah... while my room is probably far from unique, it might be less likely to imitate what most are listening to in a two-channel setup, at least from a lot of the two-channel setups I see. Also, the majority of the reviews I see on two-channel speakers seem to have varying locations and setups... and rarely have I read a "bad" review, although not all of them speak of "depth of soundstage", which if unobtainable would be unacceptable to me. So although we may struggle liking a particular speaker... and/or can't seem to get the premier placement in my room, that doesn't mean it won't sound great in a different room setup, as I have a hard time believing so many people can like a speaker so well, even though one or more of us may not have liked it that well. Surely they have found better placements or have a better setup... otherwise either the reviewers are just being nice... and/or owners are fooling themselves, which both would be harder to accept, yet not necessarily harder to believe.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #665 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

The Dynaudio DM 3/7 Review is now posted in this thread, here.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #666 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 05:48 PM
Shackster

Post after first review announcement

My neighbor has the Paradigm Studio 60's. I fell in love with them the first time he fired them up. I listened to
them for 3 days straight. Cost me alot of beer and pizza. I talked to the wife and was ready to bite the bullet and
buy the Paradigm's. I was perfectly content listening to my 20yr old DCM TimeWindows.

A few years ago I bought a boat and a motorcycle and became overly consumed with both. My audio equipment
was neglected for many years. After listening to the Paradigm's I decided it was time for a serious upgrade. 2
days prior to buying the Paradigm's I ran into a deal that I could not pass up. I purchased 4 Energy Veritas-6.3's
and a Energy Veritas-5.2 for way less than what the Paradigm's would have cost me.

The Energy speakers are amazing. A week after I got them I added a SVS sub to the mix. Listening to 2 channel
stereo I am in musical nirvana. In theatre mood this system awesome!
post #667 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 05:54 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

The Paradigms were better than I expected relative to the field. We should be getting the review up soon. The first ones go the slowest, but once we have the format down and the posts started, the rest go much faster.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #668 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 06:08 PM
Shackster
Doug

I'm thinking about the 60's for a 2 channel room so I'm looking forward to your evaluation.
Also the SVS's are interesting, although they're too big for my set up it seems that most reviewers either love them or hate them.
post #669 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

The Emerald Physics CSP2 Review is now posted in this thread, here.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #670 of 1075 Old 11-11-13, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

If I did not have the ML Montis and a Stage X on the way, I might be ordering up a full compliment of Paradigm's for my HT. They were indeed quite impressive.

Cedar Creek Cinema