The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 69 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #681 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 01:55 PM
Emerald Physics PR

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Generally true. I would not count Sonnie's HT as typical, however. There are several dips and crests in the room response that are managed with EQ for HT, but we are not using any correction for the 2 channel reviews. That would add too many variables to manage.

Just keep all of the info in context, if that is possible.
What a great thread and surely and ambitious undertaking here.

The reply above is perfectly put re the context and content of the information here.

Bravo to those involved.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #682 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 02:24 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Generally true. I would not count Sonnie's HT as typical, however. There are several dips and crests in the room response that are managed with EQ for HT, but we are not using any correction for the 2 channel reviews. That would add too many variables to manage.

Just keep all of the info in context, if that is possible.
I wouldn't count Sonnie's room as typical either (it's spectacular), but having several dips and crests in the room response certainly isn't anything unusual (perhaps, you're intimating that his room has fewer modal issues than most). All rooms have them. The best we can do with treatments is to reduce the impact of the room's influence.

Of course, all rooms are essentially unique. Hence, there will be variability in ideal speaker placement, but there are some general guidelines that apply universally. The details in these reviews are quite beneficial - good job guys!
post #683 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 03:22 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
kevin360 wrote: View Post
I wouldn't count Sonnie's room as typical either (it's spectacular), but having several dips and crests in the room response certainly isn't anything unusual (perhaps, you're intimating that his room has fewer modal issues than most). All rooms have them. The best we can do with treatments is to reduce the impact of the room's influence.

Of course, all rooms are essentially unique. Hence, there will be variability in ideal speaker placement, but there are some general guidelines that apply universally. The details in these reviews are quite beneficial - good job guys!
Right. It is a room with 2 pairs of parallel walls and a flat ceiling. It certainly benefits from bass traps and other treatments meant to disrupt certain reflections, but in essence its room modes would be fairly typical of any room with the same dimensions.

The LP is another factor. It determines where most speakers will sit to give the soundstage we wanted, and THAT puts the speakers a certain distance from walls, another predictable factor in causing cancellation at certain frequencies due to the reflection/distance/wavelength relationships.

Add to all that the symmetrical listening setup relative to the room, and those LF effects are the same for both speakers - pretty typical but not true in all rooms.

These are factors to be dealt with in almost any home listening environment until you get into serious studio-type construction with non-parallel surfaces and HUGE tuned traps sometimes the size of small adjacent rooms. With the rooms we mortals have to deal with, modal issues are a reality, the frequencies mostly set by basic dimensions, some by speaker/LP placement, and severity somewhat treatable with traps sometimes.

If I may be so bold as to expand on Leonard's statement, trusting that he will correct me if I miss his point, the particular modal frequencies and their severity are unique to that room's dimensions and treatments and our setup constraints. Other rooms will have similar issues to be dealt with at other frequencies. Where would be the fun without them? Mother nature saw an almost perfect hobby and thought, That's too easy. Let there be acoustics! (Thanks, Mom!) Voila, c'est ca - and so it is! Wouldn't we be pretty bored otherwise?

Edit: All summing up to... The speakers will sound somewhat different in any other room. Many factors make it so.
post #684 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 03:31 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Would splayed walls be a better choice for a HT/ Music room?

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #685 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 03:38 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
callas01 wrote: View Post
I see that you guys were able to bottom out the DM3/7s with the Star Tracks track, I love that CD and with my single 6.7" driver played with the volume up really loud as well, almost to the halfway point, I cannot get my Focus 160s to bottom out. The 160s sensitivity is only 87dbs, not sure how much of a difference 1 dbs will make, but I was just running them thru this test after reading your write up, i didnt have any issues.

Just thought it might make a difference to how you guys view the performance of the 3/7s.
It is a great CD. I was so impressed with the quality of the recording compared to so many orchestral recordings by world-renown orchestras in famous performance halls. The humble Cincinnati Pops sounds way better to my ears - recording-wise especially, but their performance is nothing shabby, either - than a lot of what I have come across.

Thanks for the comparison to your Focals. It is so tough to make those comparisons totally apples-to-apples meaningful, but the data is always fun to hear. About the best we could do was report the approximate volume level we were listening at for that track. It did not seem like an unreasonable expectation on the DM 3/7's. And, as Sonnie has said, they were demo speakers that could have been through some abuse, so we reserve ultimate judgment for that reason.
post #686 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 03:47 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Would splayed walls be a better choice for a HT/ Music room?
My understanding is that they reduce standing waves dramatically, weakening the tendency for them to form (good) and spreading the remaining effect across a band of frequencies (maybe good, maybe not). They don't go away completely, but are probably far easier to deal with than parallel walls.

An alternative, if getting into outlandish construction techniques, is to keep the walls parallel so the modes are very predictable, then allow for a large part of the wall area to accommodate deep traps tuned specifically to knock out those modes.

Either way, the overall room dimensions end up having to allow for a lot of treatment volume, rarely an affordable luxury for most home theater designs.
post #687 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 04:10 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Woohoo, nice to see some of the measurements up

Thanks very much for all the hard work and effort that yall have put in to this event...it's an interesting read
post #688 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 05:41 PM
Shackster
Doug

Which Cincinnati Pops album are you referring to?
I don't have any classical music and I'd like to give it a try, especially one that is recorded well.
Thanks
post #689 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 07:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Steve

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
It is a great CD. I was so impressed with the quality of the recording compared to so many orchestral recordings by world-renown orchestras in famous performance halls. The humble Cincinnati Pops sounds way better to my ears - recording-wise especially, but their performance is nothing shabby, either - than a lot of what I have come across.

Thanks for the comparison to your Focals. It is so tough to make those comparisons totally apples-to-apples meaningful, but the data is always fun to hear. About the best we could do was report the approximate volume level we were listening at for that track. It did not seem like an unreasonable expectation on the DM 3/7's. And, as Sonnie has said, they were demo speakers that could have been through some abuse, so we reserve ultimate judgment for that reason.
Just to clear up any confusion, you put Focals, but I have Dynaudio Focus 160s. The Focus line is 2 lines above the DMs you guys auditioned.

It's a fun cd to demo and show off your system.

Dynaudio Focus 260, Focus 210C, DM2/6
Marantz SR7007, NaimUniti2, Pro-ject 2xperience, Naim Stageline N
Oppo BDP-103, Hsu VTF2.4 subwoofer
post #690 of 1075 Old 11-12-13, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Ahh... his focal point was not focused.

It was his birthday yesterday and he may have stayed out too late last night.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!