The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 71 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #701 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 12:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Try pulling them out, but keep them narrow to begin with. Play a relatively short section of something that has excellent imaging that you can point out. Then begin moving them outward (toward the side walls) about 6" to 12" each time until that image starts to fall apart or gets confusing. Then move them back in to the previous spot where the image was its best, but the speakers are as far apart as possible. Experiment with toe-in... and at the same time on each toe, move your head forward and back while sitting in the PLP, so that you can determine where the best sound is... particularly depth acuity. You may have to experiment with the speaker distance from your front wall. You can move them closer to the front wall until you start to lose that depth, that is typically where you know you have hit that magic spot. Some speakers we have found have a larger area to work with than others, so YMMV.
Sonnie, great tips for setting up speakers! This post should be stickied for the many people (myself including) that struggle with proper placement and figuring out proper setup in their own rooms!

Scott

I think about speakers for hours every day. I believe it is mental illness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #702 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 12:31 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Thanks for the extended reply regarding finishes.
post #703 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 01:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Good info on speaker placement Sonnie! I may have to fiddle with my setup a bit. My speakers are 18" from front wall and 11' apart and 10'6" from PLP. I would like to pull them out further but kind of hard when it's not a dedicated space for HT/music. Great room dilemmas!!!!!
post #704 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
skeeter99 wrote: View Post
Sonnie, great tips for setting up speakers! This post should be stickied for the many people (myself including) that struggle with proper placement and figuring out proper setup in their own rooms!
Maybe we can start a separate thread and get varying opinions, as I am sure my suggestion is only one of many that can be tried.

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
Thanks for the extended reply regarding finishes.

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
Good info on speaker placement Sonnie! I may have to fiddle with my setup a bit. My speakers are 18" from front wall and 11' apart and 10'6" from PLP. I would like to pull them out further but kind of hard when it's not a dedicated space for HT/music. Great room dilemmas!!!!!
But when you are critical listening, you are probably by yourself, right? That way you are relaxed with no interruptions, yet focused and really getting into the music. Can't you pull them out for those times? That is providing you find a better placement with them pulled out, which I suspect you can. Put them back during normal hours.

If you are casual listening, then it really does not make a WHOLE LOT of difference what speakers you have does it? During casual listening you are not enjoying them near like you would if you are sitting down and really wanting to enjoy some seriously good sound. It seems logical that if we are going to buy speakers because they SOUND better, then we should be striving to enjoy them where they sound their best, otherwise, why do we buy them... ESPECIALLY if they cost considerable money, like over $500.

If we can't place our speakers where were are going to get the most out of them for what we spend... which is (I hope) the primary reason we spend more on the speakers, then why not just get a pair of Infinity Primus speakers for a couple hundred... maybe three-four hundred (depending on the model), that have really good off axis dispersion, and just go with those. They will make about as good of a background noise as $2,500 speakers, possibly better, and cost only a fraction thereof.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #705 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 03:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
But when you are critical listening, you are probably by yourself, right? That way you are relaxed with no interruptions, yet focused and really getting into the music. Can't you pull them out for those times? That is providing you find a better placement with them pulled out, which I suspect you can. Put them back during normal hours.
For sure and I have played with them a bit but since they are powered and they connect inside a 2 ft cubby the furthest I can pull them is 2'6" away from front wall. The cords are 5' but having the cubbies a little over 2 ft deep limits my distance away from wall. That being said if it makes a big enough difference I may just reroute the electrical to the front wall and below or to the side of the cubbies especially since I may be enclosing the cubbies and putting sealed 18" subs in them. Doing this would also give me more flexibility with distance apart from each other as well.
Quote:
It seems logical that if we are going to buy speakers because they SOUND better, then we should be striving to enjoy them where they sound their best, otherwise, why do we buy them... ESPECIALLY if they cost considerable money, like over $500. If we can't place our speakers where were are going to get the most out of them for what we spend... which is (I hope) the primary reason we spend more on the speakers, then why not just get a pair of Infinity Primus speakers for a couple hundred... maybe three-four hundred (depending on the model), that have really good off axis dispersion, and just go with those. They will make about as good of a background noise as $2,500 speakers, possibly better, and cost only a fraction thereof.
I hear what your saying and agree to an extent because we always have to make certain compromises no matter what. Not all of us can have a dedicated two channel room or a dedicated home theater. Because of that we have to make certain choices and the speakers we choose may not sound their absolute best but they will sound as good as they can in our room. You yourself have had to make certain compromises on evaluating all these speakers because of the characteristics of your room. For example the stage presents some problems in your room as Wayne has eluded to in the past. Perhaps without the stage there you guys would not have to pull the speakers out so far away from the wall? I don't know if that's the case or not but everyone's room is going to make a speaker sound a little bit different cause no two rooms are exactly a like. That's why you introduce EQ at that point to "equalize" the playing field but even then every room is different. You shouldn't need EQ if your placement is perfect right? However Certain things will not be fixed with speaker placement and eq and room treatments. You can't do a lot with a rooms shape and dimensions once it's already built. That can be a big factor in how the room sounds. That's what most of us contend with. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are saying but it seems to me you are saying the only way a speaker will sound its best is to have a room designed around that speaker. If we can't then we should all get infinity primus speakers? Is that what your eluding to? Or am I reading into it too much lol.
post #706 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 03:33 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
When you guys say 'distance from front wall,' I assume you are measuring from the baffle and not the back of the speaker. Is this correct?

Control4 Automation Programmer
post #707 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are saying but it seems to me you are saying the only way a speaker will sound its best is to have a room designed around that speaker. If we can't then we should all get infinity primus speakers? Is that what your eluding to? Or am I reading into it too much lol.
Oh no... not saying the room should be built around the speakers. My latter reference was more about "how are you listening". The allusion to the Primus speakers was that if we are not able to get the best we can (with the room we have) out of the speakers we are going to buy, why spend the extra money on them.

There are probably several questions I am going to ask myself when buying speakers... How am I going to listen to the speakers? Is this for two-channel music and am I going to be able to listen without interruption... or are they just going to be every day speakers where I am not really going to be able to ever sit down and get good listening time. I personally cannot do that with a house full of folks, and neither will my wife let me do it with her in the room. So... will there be times where I can seriously enjoy the speakers... or are they just going to be background noise makers? Do I have any flexibility that will enable me to try various placements with the speakers to see if I can get the "best sound" from them? After all... if I am going to spend any significant money, don't I want to enjoy them in their best location? Let's suppose I decide I want to do some serious listening and I am able to try various placements and I am willing to spend $2,500. I get a pair of $2,500 speakers in my home and in my room for let's say a 30 day evaluation, I am going to try them in various locations to see where they sound there best. Let's suppose their best sound came from the speakers being placed 5 feet from the wall. When I placed them 2 feet from the wall they sounded okay, but not their best. Am I going to be happy with not hearing them in their best location with their best sound? For me... (catch that now... I said for me)... it does not make sense to spend big money on speakers if I am not going to be able to get the most I can out of them in my given situation... with things I CAN do something about, especially something as simple as moving them out into the room so I get their best sound.

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
When you guys say 'distance from front wall,' I assume you are measuring from the baffle and not the back of the speaker. Is this correct?
Yes... center of front baffle.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #708 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 04:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
Oh no... not saying the room should be built around the speakers. My latter reference was more about "how are you listening". The allusion to the Primus speakers was that if we are not able to get the best we can (with the room we have) out of the speakers we are going to buy, why spend the extra money on them. There are probably several questions I am going to ask myself when buying speakers... How am I going to listen to the speakers? Is this for two-channel music and am I going to be able to listen without interruption... or are they just going to be every day speakers where I am not really going to be able to ever sit down and get good listening time. I personally cannot do that with a house full of folks, and neither will my wife let me do it with her in the room. So... will there be times where I can seriously enjoy the speakers... or are they just going to be background noise makers? Do I have any flexibility that will enable me to try various placements with the speakers to see if I can get the "best sound" from them? After all... if I am going to spend any significant money, don't I want to enjoy them in their best location? Let's suppose I decide I want to do some serious listening and I am able to try various placements and I am willing to spend $2,500. I get a pair of $2,500 speakers in my home and in my room for let's say a 30 day evaluation, I am going to try them in various locations to see where they sound there best. Let's suppose their best sound came from the speakers being placed 5 feet from the wall. When I placed them 2 feet from the wall they sounded okay, but not their best. Am I going to be happy with not hearing them in their best location with their best sound? For me... (catch that now... I said for me)... it does not make sense to spend big money on speakers if I am not going to be able to get the most I can out of them in my given situation... with things I CAN do something about, especially something as simple as moving them out into the room so I get their best sound. Yes... center of front baffle.
gotcha! Makes perfect sense and now I agree completely with you. I do get quite a bit of good listening time by myself. I do scrutinize and try to get the best out if my speakers. From the front baffle my speakers sit almost 3 ft from front wall. My measurements are from the back of the speaker. Measuring from the front I could get them close to 5' from the front wall which would sit right up against my area rug. It's a little over 4'6" to be exact
post #709 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 05:25 PM
Shackster
Ron

Sonnie I believe this is my first post on the Shack. I have been reading but not replying.
I love what you folks are doing with this speaker evaluation. I wish more people would do this with other products. You people are having fun and doing it. And that is what it is all about.
I have a question on your speaker dimensions also. When you say distance to side wall are you also referring to center of baffle to side wall? Or outside of cabinet? I would think outside of cabinet but we know about assumptions.
Well thanks for listening and keep up the good exhausting work.
post #710 of 1075 Old 11-13-13, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
gotcha! Makes perfect sense and now I agree completely with you. I do get quite a bit of good listening time by myself. I do scrutinize and try to get the best out if my speakers. From the front baffle my speakers sit almost 3 ft from front wall. My measurements are from the back of the speaker. Measuring from the front I could get them close to 5' from the front wall which would sit right up against my area rug. It's a little over 4'6" to be exact
Glad it made more sense... I was about confused on what I was trying to say. I may have been trying to make it more complicated that it should be.

You might just try them farther out and experiment with the toe-in. You should get more depth. Once you get them pulled out, maybe you could try moving yourself in closer just as a test, but try to keep your head at the same listening level. Wayne does this really well... looks like a rooster struttin' around.

Quote:
rhale64 wrote: View Post
Sonnie I believe this is my first post on the Shack. I have been reading but not replying.
I love what you folks are doing with this speaker evaluation. I wish more people would do this with other products. You people are having fun and doing it. And that is what it is all about.
I have a question on your speaker dimensions also. When you say distance to side wall are you also referring to center of baffle to side wall? Or outside of cabinet? I would think outside of cabinet but we know about assumptions.
Well thanks for listening and keep up the good exhausting work.
Welcome to the Shack and thanks for the compliments. (Thanks to everyone who had been complimentary - I probably do not say that enough.)

All measurements are to the center of the speaker baffle... usually tweeter or midrange.

Cedar Creek Cinema