The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 76 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #751 of 1075 Old 11-14-13, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
gakaudio wrote: View Post
Hi, great thread, although admittedly have only read through it sporadically. I have a couple of questions regarding speaker placement. I noticed for optimal placement, in general, the distance between speakers is greater than the distance between listener and speaker. However, with speakers closer to the back wall, the two distances became more equivalent. Is this phenomena a general "rule of thumb"? Also, was the listening position always fixed and as such contributed to the disparity of the above mentioned ratios? Last, how were these speakers selected amongst the great many options available? Thanks, Garth
I don't know that you would necessarily call it the general rule of thumb, but more so what ended up sounding the best for us. Wayne is putting together a speaker placement thread that should help explain a lot of this.

The listening position is fixed in my room. Check out www.cedarcreekcinema.ws for pics. I will get those updated soon to show all the additional treatment I have added.

Speakers were selected mostly by our members. We had a nomination process, then a voting poll. We will start working on the next nomination process and poll as soon as we get the results here finished.

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
In what playback format do you listen to music Sonnie? Do you only do 2.x stereo? I used to only do stereo, but PLIIx Music DSX with Wides, with the center at it's lowest PLIIx Music amplitude setting and surrounds pushed a little forward is definitely my preferred option. It takes a wide soundstage and makes it that much wider, with my mains at 30 degrees in a golden triangle and my wides at the front corners of the room at around 55 degrees. Pics attached. Have you ever tried wides?
I listen in Pure Direct mode myself. The event was with the OPPO into the Anthem 2-channel amp, which I have been temporarily using. I now have the Onkyo 5509 and the Emotiva XPR-5 amp (being delivered tomorrow). I have NOT tried wides yet, but it is something I have threatened experimenting with. I have the room, no doubt. The ML ESL's that Wayne has coming to him would probably be good speakers to try as wides.

Nice setup, which I believe I have previously seen, but still nice. I would just have to listen to it and test it out, but my major concern would be depth acuity. With the ML's... the soundstage is already incredibly wide.

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
I guess it just depends what you are sensitive to. I tend to be very sensitive about the top end - it's one of the first things I notice when I hear new speakers, and it tends to be the biggest contributor to whether I like or dislike a speaker. Also, if you guys did quick switching (which I understand wasn't the purpose of this test), I bet it would have stuck out like a sore thumb on both of the first two speakers.

That active filter in your test would drain some of the "real-ness" to the sound - less airy and clear. Even if they aren't sustained fundamental sounds above 10-15khz in the music, there are ques or fragments in the recording in that range that help trick our brain into accepting it as "real".
You got me wondering... especially since we all really liked the Dynaudio speakers as they were. I actually still have those... as do I have the EP's. I don't know if it is feasible or not, but if time permits, I might keep those a little longer and see if toeing them in a little more will create a flatter response, although I have feeling it may either make them too bright or possibly mess up the imaging or soundstage, but it is worth further investigation. Wayne is hopefully flying back over here the second week (or thereabouts) of December for a couple of days. Maybe (no guarantees) we can experiment with those, ALTHOUGH those EP's are a headache to unpack and put together. I would be more interested in experimenting with those than the Dyn's, since the Dyn's were fairly spot on for sound.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1075 Old 11-14-13, 10:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Could just be a Dynaudio design thing. Attached is the FR of their Sapphire speaker.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
but my major concern would be depth acuity
With a more dedicated listening space like yours, you can bring the wides further out into the room, keeping the depth. The entire L or R channel doesn't get duplicated in the wides, only certain sounds.
post #753 of 1075 Old 11-14-13, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

You know... getting graphs of the speaker's response from the manufacturers would be nice, if they will all oblige us.

Wide speakers are on the investigate/potential test list.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #754 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 08:44 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Great write up guys!! I enjoy the input of each of the towers write ups so far. I may soon jump over the log and buy a new set!!

Thanks for all your hard work as I know this takes a lot of your time n effort. Great thing I love about reading about these speakers from you guys is the fact is its like ya hear it, no favoritism !!
post #755 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 10:42 AM
Shackster

Quote:
english210 wrote: View Post
Ah, ok, I'll play with that formula too. My room is 19' deep, LP is about 16' from the wall. I'll do the math after another cup of coffee

That's working out to 8'+ from the back wall. No way that'll work regularly, but I'll try it anyway next time I have alone time at home. And for distance apart, the recommendation is wider apart than the LP->speaker distance?
post #756 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Check out the Cardas Room Setup recommendations.

This is what I actually started with and found that the closer I got to the speakers the more depth of soundstage there was. Of course to make the equilateral triangle I had to kneel down behind my PLP, but there wasn't near as much depth as when I moved forward, which just happened to be right in the PLP that is fixed. Granted, the frequency response is better with the equilateral triangle, but I like the sound better at the PLP. I believe the goal of Cardas is to get the best frequency response, which for me is not always the best sound.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #757 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Ultimately the Arx A5 speakers were adjusted out of the Cardas recommendations, but not by what I consider a significant amount. For example... if you look back at the best location for the Arx A5, Cardas recommends 5'4" from the side wall, where we had them at 6'. Cardas recommends 8'6" to the wall behind the speakers and we had them at 8'4".

The biggest difference was speaker to listener. Cardas recommended 8'6" and we had them at 6'2".

We were not terribly far from the equilateral triangle either... 7'6" speaker to speaker and 6'2" to listener.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #758 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 11:40 AM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Sonnie,
How long before the under $1000 bookshelf speaker review?
post #759 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Don't know yet. We have tentatively scheduled another $2,500 (maybe $3,000) event for late February.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #760 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 11:50 AM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Don't know yet. We have tentatively scheduled another $2,500 (maybe $3,000) event for late February.
It would be great to see a bookshelf or even 5.1 satellite shoot out as many members don't have room for floor standing speakers.