The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 77 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #761 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 11:58 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
It would be great to see a bookshelf or even 5.1 satellite shoot out as many members don't have room for floor standing speakers.
I was just talking about the same thing in this thread: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post653916

Scott

I think about speakers for hours every day. I believe it is mental illness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #762 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 01:20 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I was thinking of upgrading to the Arx towers, but I don't really like that laminated finish. So, now I supposed I'll be looking at HTD and Emptek.
post #763 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 02:36 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
skeeter99 wrote: View Post
I was just talking about the same thing in this thread: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post653916

Scott
I have a lot of interest in this category as well, but we need to seriously consider the priorities. I think there are really two types of evaluations needed, one on actual bookshelf placement and one on stands optimally placed. The latter requires similar dedication of space in the room and may not be useful to everyone. The nice thing about smaller speakers is that they lend themselves to switching between the two applications, for casual and for serious listening. But let's take this into another thread of its own.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #764 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 03:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Posted new thread.
post #765 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 05:12 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
In what playback format do you listen to music Sonnie? Do you only do 2.x stereo? I used to only do stereo, but PLIIx Music DSX with Wides, with the center at it's lowest PLIIx Music amplitude setting and surrounds pushed a little forward is definitely my preferred option. It takes a wide soundstage and makes it that much wider, with my mains at 30 degrees in a golden triangle and my wides at the front corners of the room at around 55 degrees. Pics attached. Have you ever tried wides?

=============

I guess it just depends what you are sensitive to. I tend to be very sensitive about the top end - it's one of the first things I notice when I hear new speakers, and it tends to be the biggest contributor to whether I like or dislike a speaker. Also, if you guys did quick switching (which I understand wasn't the purpose of this test), I bet it would have stuck out like a sore thumb on both of the first two speakers.

That active filter in your test would drain some of the "real-ness" to the sound - less airy and clear. Even if they aren't sustained fundamental sounds above 10-15khz in the music, there are ques or fragments in the recording in that range that help trick our brain into accepting it as "real".
Not questioning that you might be highly sensitive to that rolling off of the highs. We all have our individual sensitivity areas. Quick switching definitely would have revealed that slight loss. Just listening to the presence of the highs for a minute without the rolloff shows what you are missing, then you notice it if you think about it. But to our preferences it was not big enough to stand out under the circumstances, except maybe a little with the EPs. We were listening for a lot of things under time pressure, drinking-from-a-fire-hose style. It just did not jump out at us, and I dare say would not have to most, although it might have to a few.

Remember that any natural phenomenon that causes a rolloff or any kind of change also causes phase shift and potentially other artifacts - speaker design, acoustics, air absorption, electronic filter, whatever. How is one more "real" than another? The same applies to synthesized surround enhancement, I would have a hard time thinking of it as more "real" than a simple 1-pole electronic filter.

Again, it is true that we have different sensitivities, some genetically-based and some from experience and training. Just some observations.
post #766 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 07:50 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Check out the Cardas Room Setup recommendations.

This is what I actually started with and found that the closer I got to the speakers the more depth of soundstage there was. Of course to make the equilateral triangle I had to kneel down behind my PLP, but there wasn't near as much depth as when I moved forward, which just happened to be right in the PLP that is fixed. Granted, the frequency response is better with the equilateral triangle, but I like the sound better at the PLP. I believe the goal of Cardas is to get the best frequency response, which for me is not always the best sound.
The Cardas recommendations primarily address room modes and the placement of speakers to minimize interaction with room modes. Our priorities pretty much ignored room modes so we could get the soundstage we wanted at the fixed/immovable LP. You can see the result in the LF end of our measured curves - the modes seriously affected the low end. We need to consider options for raising the priority of room modes while preserving the soundstage results we want.

Quote:
GusGus748s wrote: View Post
I was thinking of upgrading to the Arx towers, but I don't really like that laminated finish. So, now I supposed I'll be looking at HTD and Emptek.
Just a thought - you could buy a pair of A5's and have someone refinish them for you. A bit of a hassle, to be sure, but passing up on the A5's sound in favor of a different finish would not be my choice. But then I am not super big on visual aesthetics anyway. We each have our priorities. Good luck! (Really consider those A5's!)
post #767 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 08:18 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Post #9 back at the beginning of this thread now contains the beginnings of some general observations about the weekend and our findings. More will be added over the coming days.
post #768 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 08:18 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
The Cardas recommendations primarily address room modes and the placement of speakers to minimize interaction with room modes. Our priorities pretty much ignored room modes so we could get the soundstage we wanted at the fixed/immovable LP. You can see the result in the LF end of our measured curves - the modes seriously affected the low end. We need to consider options for raising the priority of room modes while preserving the soundstage results we want.

Just a thought - you could buy a pair of A5's and have someone refinish them for you. A bit of a hassle, to be sure, but passing up on the A5's sound in favor of a different finish would not be my choice. But then I am not super big on visual aesthetics anyway. We each have our priorities. Good luck! (Really consider those A5's!)
I don't really care for the look either, but my wife does. I guess I'm more afraid of the speakers being damaged during shipping.
post #769 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 08:32 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
GusGus748s wrote: View Post
I don't really care for the look either, but my wife does. I guess I'm more afraid of the speakers being damaged during shipping.
The HTD finishes ARE pretty yummy, real WAF winners. And their ship packaging is top-notch, double cardboard with 4-inch air gap all around, suspended by heavy foam at both ends, will really take a beating.
post #770 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 08:50 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

My wife likes the looks of the empteks. I'm trying to find a comparison between the HTD and EmpTek. We listen more to music now than we watch movies. So, I want to get something that sounds good with music and movies.