The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 78 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #771 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 08:53 PM
Shackster

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
GusGus748s wrote: View Post
My wife likes the looks of the empteks. I'm trying to find a comparison between the HTD and EmpTek. We listen more to music now than we watch movies. So, I want to get something that sounds good with music and movies.
This thread did not have much detail, but maybe it might help

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458372/ar...tower-shootout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #772 of 1075 Old 11-15-13, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

It looks like Jon might not have been too happy with how that dude conducted his speaker comparison/evaluation, which is does look a bit suspect, not that any of us are perfect. That might actually explain his hesitance in sending us the A5's and why it was like pulling hind teeth to get him to send them.

Gus... any speaker you order has the potential of being damaged. The Klipsch and the Arx were both packed pretty well, but both damaged. The Arx are also double boxed.

I had a bass module on another set of speakers that were shipped to me that was damaged too... and that box had thick metal triangular protectors on all the corners... yet it still had the corner crushed. You can count on them being dropped a few times in transit. However... Jon got a new replacement Arx A5 right out to me... which any company is going to do. So it ain't like you are going to have to live with a damaged speaker.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #773 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 12:03 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
It looks like Jon might not have been too happy with how that dude conducted his speaker comparison/evaluation, which is does look a bit suspect, not that any of us are perfect. That might actually explain his hesitance in sending us the A5's and why it was like pulling hind teeth to get him to send them.

Gus... any speaker you order has the potential of being damaged. The Klipsch and the Arx were both packed pretty well, but both damaged. The Arx are also double boxed.

I had a bass module on another set of speakers that were shipped to me that was damaged too... and that box had thick metal triangular protectors on all the corners... yet it still had the corner crushed. You can count on them being dropped a few times in transit. However... Jon got a new replacement Arx A5 right out to me... which any company is going to do. So it ain't like you are going to have to live with a damaged speaker.
I agree. Anything shipped has the potential of being damaged. I still can't decide on, which brand to go with when I'm ready to upgrade.
post #774 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

The Magnepan 1.7 review is now posted here.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #775 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 08:27 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
That active filter in your test would drain some of the "real-ness" to the sound - less airy and clear. Even if they aren't sustained fundamental sounds above 10-15khz in the music, there are ques or fragments in the recording in that range that help trick our brain into accepting it as "real".
I might have misinterpreted this comment when I first read it. Upon re-reading it, it sounds like you were simply explaining how important the highest octave of frequencies is in our listening to recorded music. If so, apologies for my response, which was off the mark.

Assuming that is what you meant, I can only agree, and the little filtering experiment, along with other experience, only confirms that what you say is true. It may not be so readily apparent in everyday life because so much of what we hear has little occurring in the frequency range above 10 kHz. But some sounds can contain frequencies way beyond 20 kHz, and with those our brain is noticing the detail you are referring to. With music it is more constant by its nature and a bigger factor, so when it is attenuated due to a rolloff it can be more noticeable.
post #776 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 08:39 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
I'm getting the sense that the dynaudios and I'm thinking paradigms are going to be the top dogs of this eval although not a shootout. It seems the comments earlier about brightness in the svs ultras may just tilt favor towards the paradigms. Hmmmm........ I thought the Maggie's would be received better as I did the emerald physics.
post #777 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 08:50 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

There have been a lot of questions about our speaker setup approach for these evaluation events. I made several unposted attempts to briefly summarize the approach, but they seemed lacking in detail. Hoping to answer your questions, a Setup Guide for Deep Soundstage has been posted in the Two Channel forum. Hope it is helpful.
post #778 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 08:58 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Going in, I thought the order of preference would end up like this...
  1. SVS Ultra Towers
  2. Dynaudio DM 3/7
  3. Paradigm Studio 60
  4. MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
  5. Arx A5
The edge I gave to the Ultra's was because of the bass; I've heard those in person, and they do have a lot of bottom end.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #779 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 09:02 AM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

I can honestly say I'm surprised to hear your impression of the Maggie's was that dull.

Ribbon and ESL panels often do need more power then you might expect. Some time before you return/sell/giveaway (&#128521 the speakers you should give another listen with more power. Use tubes or NAD or something with some teethe.

Still that's the great thing about these reviews, sometimes products shine and other times we find they don't live up to the hype.
post #780 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 09:13 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
I can honestly say I'm surprised to hear your impression of the Maggie's was that dull.

Ribbon and ESL panels often do need more power then you might expect. Some time before you return/sell/giveaway (&#128521 the speakers you should give another listen with more power. Use tubes or NAD or something with some teethe.

Still that's the great thing about these reviews, sometimes products shine and other times we find they don't live up to the hype.
There are four of us who commented over many pages on each speaker. It would be useful if you included the comments that surprise you and the reviewer. We might then be able to give more context to what was written. As your post stands it implies that our overall impression of the speaker is that it is dull. We had much more to say about it than that.

As for the power, if they take more than we had, I think they are simply an impractical load. I think we were able to push them quite hard without clipping using the Anthem Integrated 225 amp (i225) at 225 WPC (8Ω) and 310 WPC (4Ω).

There was much to like about them, but there are also enough aspects that I did not like that make them one of my least favorites. That is just my opinion and my observations. Nothing at all wrong with someone thinking differently and having a different experience, but there is much more to our assessment than "dull". Oversimplifying makes it hard to make the entire experience real to others.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.