The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:55 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Great Timing

Coincidentally, I am neck deep in my first paying DIY speaker build for my #1 client.... I have invested apprx $2500 in drivers and xover components from PE... Wishing my design could be evaluated at your event (sigh) I was up til 2 am last night wiring the cabinets as Im pushing for a delivery and install next weekend... I have certainly learned alot from my time spent reading speaker reviews and studying the speaker build projects here at HTS.... Ill be posting up my project soon and am looking forward to reading the results of your evaluations.... Maybe the next trip could have a member sponsored to attend.... Thanks again for all you that contribute... I benefit much as do my clients, and it is highly appreciated... Thanks again Sonnie...

AVR - PIONEER SC 35 w PANGEA AC9 CORD
AC FILT - PANAMAX M5400
DISPLAY - PANASONIC TC-P54G10 54in 1080p PLASMA
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 6.5 MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP - ACURUS A250
HTPC - WIN7 ULT,INTEL I7 860,CORSAIR 800D,CORSAIR HX1000, 16 GIG CORSAIR,EVGA P55 MB, ATI 5970 VIDEO, ASUS HDAV DELUXE 1.3 w BURSON DISCREET OPAMPS,PIONEER BDRW, 3WARE 9650 w 4x CRUCIAL 64gb SSD's in RAID 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 08:55 AM
Shackster

Im mostly looking forward to the $20,000 two channel setup since all of these are simply a dream for me, I might as well dream BIG! Excited to see the results.

You guys live the dream life with all these "toys" you get to play with
post #73 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:02 AM
Senior Shackster

I love these tests!!..I just finished up my dedicated home theater and thinking of making an upgrade, so this is perfect timing!!..I trust your opinion and it will highly influence my decision..I can't wait to hear your evaluation on the SVS Ultra Towers!!..Have fun guys and thanks for the info!!
post #74 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:22 AM
Shackster

My System

Great idea here and I am really looking forward to the results. The speakers chosen are some of the ones that I would like to audition but dont have access to in this area without driving 1.5-2 hours. Even then, I may get to listen to 1 or 2 or drivers that have been chosen.
post #75 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:22 AM
Shackster
bill

Looking forward to the panels comments on all the said speakers. How they interact with the room what each individual likes and dislikes and how they describe their strenght and weakness with the various source material. Fwiw...I own the Ascend Towers and voted fro them eariler....but GTG or listening sessions as this I always fine very compelling & interesting to read.

Thanks HTS....Bill...
post #76 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:23 AM
Senior Shackster
Jason

This is very cool. I wish I had a way to come and hear how the system sounds. I have won some of the contest they have here on the Home theater shack. I won some great speakers twice! I am still using them and love them but I am thinking these maybe better then my current speakers. I love the look of a lot of these speakers I just hope they sound as good as they look!
post #77 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:27 AM
Shackster
blekenbleu

Quote:
Muser wrote: View Post
Good luck with this project.

One thing about shootouts is that it looks like you’re asking each product to do the same thing, which implies “fairness” or a level playing field. Except that everyone has different taste.
Yes, in my limited experience, it is difficult to agree on material with which all listeners are sufficiently familiar
to identify reproduction differences, not least because folks will become so tired of that material that they
may not want to hear it again for quite a long time.

Quote:
I think this will be a fun event to be at. Hope you all have fun.
It would be interesting for comparison to have participants, prior to the event,
document what results they anticipate.
post #78 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:30 AM
Shackster

Sure wish I could be a part of that! I guess some guys have all the luck. I do look forward to seeing the results since I will not be able to hear the results. It's nice to know though that there is a forum out here that you have some serious minded people that are willing to slave themselves into watching and listening to great A/V equipment and willing to post the results so others can have a little of something to go on. This makes for an easier task for the DIY that wants a good starting point. You sure you want to wait for such a long time to run this test? Tomorrow would be a good starting time!
post #79 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Muad' Dib

My System

This looks very compelling. I would love to watch video highlights of the event, but I can understand about all the work that would require to record, edit, post, etc. But there's always a next time. But what might be cool in the meantime:

Maybe we could have a mini-contest/poll to decide which blu-rays you guys evaluate on?

I'm sure all the discs will be demo/reference grade titles by all accounts.

I'm really curious as to how the Paradigms do in this event and will be waiting to see the results. Paradigms and Axioms have been my favorites for a long time. Granted, I am an unabashed Axiom fanboy. But still I like good sound wherever it comes from.

"Fear is the mind killer..."

-- Paul Atreides
post #80 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:33 AM
Senior Shackster

I've heard a lot about this event, but just felt that it's not really of great interest outside of the USA. Many of the models listed aren't available over here so it's of limited interest I'm afraid. Added to that I've just spent £4,500 (sterling) on speakers since I could find anything cheaper that was suitable.

(Hope that wasn't too negative, but it did exceed 25 words ).