The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 80 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #791 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:00 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
FWIW, from what I have heard of them on several occasions now - some of which I cannot reveal because of the conditions we placed upon ourselves for this evaluation - top secret and all - fear of death and suffering - fear of the death stare worst of all - any time you put the Arx A5's at the bottom of a list, you will probably be wrong. My personal opinion.
Ah, but you see, it's all a matter of perspective; the A5's are not at the bottom of my list, they're simply number 5. I was only listing my top 5 picks, which by association means I thinks it's one of the better choices in the group (even though it was actually in the previous group). I had a feeling the A5's would compare admirably to the speakers in this field, but didn't feel they would float to the top. Just the top 5...

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #792 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:09 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Funny thing on that bass, Sonnie's room will give us very little below 45 Hz. Don't know if you saw these curves yet (post #9). I, too, expected more deep bass from the SVS Ultra's, not sure where it disappeared to, but I did not hold that in particular against them. Oops, that has not be posted yet, has it? Coming shortly.

Their low end (SVS) was very impressive at RMAF.

And the Martin Logan ESL's will still get their chance.

FWIW, from what I have heard of them on several occasions now - some of which I cannot reveal because of the conditions we placed upon ourselves for this evaluation - top secret and all - fear of death and suffering - fear of the death stare worst of all - any time you put the Arx A5's at the bottom of a list, you will probably be wrong. My personal opinion.
just goes to show what has been discussed many times.the individual room has a massive impact on how any speaker will sound.im really glad to have some room treatments.they have definitely improved my sound.
post #793 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:26 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Ah, but you see, it's all a matter of perspective; the A5's are not at the bottom of my list, they're simply number 5. I was only listing my top 5 picks, which by association means I thinks it's one of the better choices in the group (even though it was actually in the previous group). I had a feeling the A5's would compare admirably to the speakers in this field, but didn't feel they would float to the top. Just the top 5...
I would have a hard choice if I were going to pick between my favorites in the $2500 sessions and the Arx 5. I can't spend $2k + on speakers, however, so it is easy, I'll end up with the Arx. They certainly were worth considering among the higher priced speakers in terms of sound. Finish is not great, but really, for the price, that was not a priority. A little less deep on the bottom is not a problem for me (I lived with Thiel 04 for 30+ years). In terms of detail and image, one could easily pick the Arx over any of the speakers currently under discussion.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #794 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:29 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
pharoah wrote: View Post
just goes to show what has been discussed many times.the individual room has a massive impact on how any speaker will sound.im really glad to have some room treatments.they have definitely improved my sound.
Yep. And assuming you are not applying treatments to the room, which is the case in the vast majority of installations, careful placement is the single greatest variable to get the most out of a pair of speakers. Unfortunately, it is hard to live with optimal placement in many rooms.

Also, even in a room designed for HT like Sonnie's note that we were not getting really deep bass out of any of the speakers. Room is a hard variable...

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #795 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:32 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
It's beginning to sound like the Arx are even more of a bang for your buck speaker then originally thought when in the $1000 evaluation. You guys all seem to be so impressed with them even considering $2500+ speakers in the mix that it would seem almost foolish to consider any other speaker under $3000 over the Arx. Of course personal taste does goes a long way in evaluating speakers but I find it pretty interesting that all of you guys are equally impressed with the Arx A5's.
post #796 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:37 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Yep. And assuming you are not applying treatments to the room, which is the case in the vast majority of installations, careful placement is the single greatest variable to get the most out of a pair of speakers. Unfortunately, it is hard to live with optimal placement in many rooms.

Also, even in a room designed for HT like Sonnie's note that we were not getting really deep bass out of any of the speakers. Room is a hard variable...
In my room the speakers went where they had to.my room is small so no other choice.i used some gik panels amd some diy over the windows to help out.
post #797 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:42 AM
Senior Shackster

Rich

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
It's beginning to sound like the Arx are even more of a bang for your buck speaker then originally thought when in the $1000 evaluation. You guys all seem to be so impressed with them even considering $2500+ speakers in the mix that it would seem almost foolish to consider any other speaker under $3000 over the Arx. Of course personal taste does goes a long way in evaluating speakers but I find it pretty interesting that all of you guys are equally impressed with the Arx A5's.
I totally agree with you on this. They just seem like an amazing buy to me. I still cant wait to read about the SVS's. I love love love my SVS subwoofer. You really dont hear too much about thier Ultras like you do about their Sub's. The Ultras look so good all blacked out and polished.
post #798 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:52 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
callas01 wrote: View Post
and the funny thing is that i thought it would be more like

Emerald Physics
Maggie
ML
SVS
Paradigm
Dynaudio

even as a dynaudio owner, i didnt expect the 3/7s to impress the panel as much as they have. they happen to be one of my least favorite dynaudio speakers, i actually like my DM2/6s that i use as surrounds moreso then the 3/7s. however i did think that the bass of the 3/7s was gonna impress the panel, however i cant understand the bottoming out issue, especially when i can play that track without issue on monitors.
On the bottoming out issue, to quote one of my favorite movies, "It's a mystery." Like Sonnie said, it could have been a bad or abused driver.

It was the subtleties and sense of refinement that were hard to overlook. As i posted elsewhere, the room might be a little more live (RT60) at 7 or 8 kHz than at 1 kHz. Their high end sounded just right for me where some that measured flatter sounded a little hot.
post #799 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:59 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Point taken. They made it onto a prestigious list.
post #800 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 12:05 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
We need to take a little care with all our praise. Next thing we know, Jon will change the connectors or something insignificant but visible, call it a redesign, and start charging $2k for them.