The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 82 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #811 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I believe "amps of current" is a very legitimate spec... and current clipping is a reality. However... all of that is a discussion for another thread. Let's keep this one on track with reference to the speaker reviews.

EDIT: Here is a very good read on voltage and current as it relates to an amp.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 09:25 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
zamboniman wrote: View Post
"High Current" amplifiers are a perpetuated audiophile myth.

The reality is these are voltage amplifiers.. it's simple as that. Current flows as a result of the load.. It's more of a matter of can the amp maintain its composure under the given load and voltage being produced.

End of the day it's a voltage amplifier.. current amplifiers exist but not in this context.

Sure some amps perform better than others given complex or low impedance loads... but making claims that a given amp is a "high current" design doesn't do an industry full of snake oil any favors.
Not a myth at all. As you said yourself, current flows in proportion to the load. What is also true is that it flows in proportion to the voltage across the load. The load impedance can vary with frequency. An amplifier can reach the limit of its voltage swing or it can have adequate voltage but run out of power supply capacity and not deliver adequate current. In either case we have clipping. There have been many amplifiers designed to be able to deliver the voltage and current needed into a static test load yet not be able to deal with impedance dropping in a real loudspeaker. This can be due to either voltage limitations or current limitations or both.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #813 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Back to our regular scheduled thread now?

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #814 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 09:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Back to our regular scheduled thread now?
how bout them paradigms? Lol
post #815 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Yeah... I did favor those quite a bit, although there were several very good speakers in the group.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #816 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 10:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Quote:
Yeah... I did favor those quite a bit, although there were several very good speakers in the group.
I've loved Paradigm for probably close to 15 years now. Last time I heard them were the S8's at Kris Deering's GTG a few months ago after they had recently been booted from his theater by the Legacy Focus HD's (I believe). They are SUCH great speakers! I would love to hear the 60's as those are really in a sweet spot price wise. Thanks for the great write up!

Scott

I think about speakers for hours every day. I believe it is mental illness.
post #817 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 10:54 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Of the 5 speakers we had slated for review (not including the ML's as those will be done by Wayne at a later date), I can honestly say there was only one that I did not care for - and it did have it good points as well.

At the end of the day, I am a firm believer that 95% of speakers will have at least some redeeming qualities - it is deciding which of those qualities you are personally looking for that spark all the discussion.
post #818 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 10:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Of the 5 speakers we had slated for review (not including the ML's as those will be done by Wayne at a later date), I can honestly say there was only one that I did not care for - and it did have it good points as well. At the end of the day, I am a firm believer that 95% of speakers will have at least some redeeming qualities - it is deciding which of those qualities you are personally looking for that spark all the discussion.
That should be on a giant banner across all the forums!
post #819 of 1075 Old 11-16-13, 11:56 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
It is great to hear from a Magnepan owner/lover. I see you run 3.7's and MMGC's. I'll bet that is one fine sounding system.

First of all, the specs came directly from the Magnepan web site. I have no doubt you know the products but, all due respect, we should leave it the way they state it, "3-Way, Full-Range, Quasi-Ribbon." Your extra info is much appreciated, though.

Heretic or no, I could probably be an absolutely delighted Maggie owner running them the way you do, assuming the 1.7's could be brightened up a bit. The manual talks about replacing a jumper with a resistor to attenuate the high end, the 2 upper drivers together I believe. But our panels started out with jumpers - I saw them as we were packing up - so there seems to be no way to brighten them easily. Maybe a different model would take care of it. THEN - do like you have and cross them to a sub - or a sub per panel to keep it a music-only 2.0 system for purity's sake - could be the makings of sonic nirvana.

The Maggies seem to image a little differently, but I think I could get over that. I like a sharp image and panels seem to image a little softer, but as long as it is stable, I could make a teeny bit of an imaging sacrifice for all that clarity and definition. Of course the soundstage depth is a must, and they can do that. It would not take too much of an arm twist to get me there.

I will be working with some Martin Logan ESL's in a week or two, am excited about that. Do you have any ML experience, any comparisons to make?
Yep, I suppose it's somewhat heretical (I sense a trend) to run centers as surrounds, but I already had one MMGC when I transitioned to a dedicated space. IMO, they are far better surrounds than centers. At some point, I may add a CCR with the CC stand/woofer. Other changes keep cutting in line.

You're right; Magnepan's website does refer to the 1.7 as a 3-way. I suppose that's easier than explaining what a 2.5-way is, but they simply culled one 'loop' from the QR tweeter and fed it a filtered signal from the high section of the series XO. The remainder of the QR tweeter behaves normally. The result is the addition of a 'super'tweeter that parallels the top of the tweeter's response range. Being narrower, it does so with better dispersion characteristics – remember the inverse proportion rule of driver element size to reproduced frequency. The effect is a reduction in the head-in-a-vise imaging that plagues its non true ribbon brethren.

Neither my somewhat modified 3.7s, nor my highly modified MMGs have jumpers, resistors or fuses. Fully braced stands benefit Maggies in a number of ways – my 3.7s are on Mye Stands and the panels from my MMGs are in DIY braced hardwood frames. Again, I'll stress the counter-indicated demands of HT and planars – Maggies, at least. The room treatments that benefit multichannel reproduction over damp the Maggies. This forces a compromise – a common theme in life. It's impossible to optimize both simultaneously. It's highly unusual to encounter reports of stock Maggies, except for some older models like SMGs, as being too laid back. It's far more common for them to be faulted as being overly bright, hence the resistors. The fact that it was a unanimous complaint makes the fact of the matter rather apparent.

In my experience, once 'the spots' are discovered, the sound stage is deep, wide and reasonably well defined, with a solid center image (that largely happens between the ears, in any case). The interaction of the speaker with the room in this regard also forces us back into that HT vs Maggie compromise. Maggie is a demanding mistress, but she does bring some delights to the tryst.

I should think it best to enter the evaluation of the MLs with a minimum of expectation. By that, I mean that any comparative analysis I could tender might serve to influence your experience – such is an inescapable fact of being human. I shall only reply that I think they are excellent speakers with a different set of compromises and solutions - a different mix of strengths and weaknesses. I think the engineering concepts ML applies are both sound and effective. They have some products that I'd be extremely delighted to own.

There are lots of speakers that please me. My daughter's Def Tech Mythos STS speakers aren't even dipoles and I dig 'em. I still have a pair of AR91s that I bought 33 years ago that I enjoy (yeah, I've had to do some work to keep them going).

Sorry for the ramble.
post #820 of 1075 Old 11-17-13, 12:27 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post

Not a myth at all.
Thanks for your reply, and for risking the Sonnie stare for it. That is all.