The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 87 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #861 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 02:55 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
callas01 wrote: View Post
good job to the panel and everyone involved including Mark Seaton and the wifes and families that had to endure and sacrifice
No kidding, they do put up with a lot.

Quote:
have you guys considered contacting the manufactures so they could make their own comments or observations to your assesments?
Not sure what they would say. Some might say "You idiots" if they could address us in person. I made a few remarks about this in post # 9 observations under should we be reported as loudspeaker abusers?

I think we would welcome construct feedback pointing out how/why their speakers would work better under this or that condition, even constructive criticism of our methods.

Edit: Sonnie has received private communication from an individual pointing out that our pursuit of the perfect deep soundstage is a folly we can never achieve. Gotta say we have done it pretty well so far, apparently in defiance of the laws of physics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #862 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 05:52 AM
Senior Shackster
Bud

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
No kidding, they do put up with a lot.

Not sure what they would say. Some might say "You idiots" if they could address us in person. I made a few remarks about this in post # 9 observations under should we be reported as loudspeaker abusers?

I think we would welcome construct feedback pointing out how/why their speakers would work better under this or that condition, even constructive criticism of our methods.

Edit: Sonnie has received private communication from an individual pointing out that our pursuit of the perfect deep soundstage is a folly we can never achieve. Gotta say we have done it pretty well so far, apparently in defiance of the laws of physics.

People who deal with theory's are constantly amazed by reality
post #863 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 08:41 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

So........which speaker won?

Really enjoyed reading the evaluation. Thanks to all involved.

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #864 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 08:54 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
smurphy522 wrote: View Post
So........which speaker won? Really enjoyed reading the evaluation. Thanks to all involved.
It wasn't a shootout so no winner. It was just an evaluation. It's clear there were a couple standouts in the group. Dynaudio and Paradigms seemed to garner the most praise. Take that for what it's worth.
post #865 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 08:57 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I would want to be blind-folded
Well, just to clarify for the readers, you don't actually have to be in a "blind" test. You just can't be aware/have prior knowledge of what you are hearing. Harman used a visually opaque/acoustically transparent screen for their tests.

Quote:
have the speaker moved around, preferably starting with the Cardas recommendations and going from there. Let me pick which I like best. Bring in the next set and do the same. The speakers are going to sound their best in different locations. Testing them all in the same location does me absolutely no good... tells me absolutely nothing of use because they are not in their best location.

Just because they were able to determine trends based on what people preferred, does not mean that is the sound they would prefer over a properly placed speaker and a proper listening position in a given room.
Agreed to an extent. That was my beef with the Harman research when it was first published. Stereo speaker/listener positioning. There are definite limitations of conclusions, based on what you are saying. However, you should not view the Harman tests in isolation, as they are the tip of the iceberg (certainly the most comprehensive, best known...and most often cited). Eureka project (KEF), the Gradient Bypass test, etc, etc., etc. all found essentially the same thing, under very different conditions.
Speaker with the least amount of amplitude distortion on and off axis, are consistently preferred by the majority of listeners...BLIND.
Too small a sample size to be relevant, but lo and behold, the speakers that closest meet that criteria seemed to be preferred in your listening sessions as well. Obviously, a great many other factor was involved also.

Quote:
Am I making any sense?
Remarkably so for an self described "Alabama Redneck" .
Now, here's the twister. You repeat your listening (with optimal positioning etc) under blind (ears only) conditions, find you most prefer a completely different speaker than the sighted test.
You repeat the sighted test and the original wins again.
Which do you buy for your final decision/"listening" pleasure, the one your ears preferred, or your eyes/ears/etc, etc?

cheers,
post #866 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 09:49 AM
Shackster
Doug

What a great report, I really appreciate all the time and effort that you guys put into this. I had just about made up my mind to get the 60's for a 2 channel room I'm setting up and because of this report I just ordered the 60's in Piano Black and should have them by Friday.
post #867 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
smurphy522 wrote: View Post
So........which speaker won?
I think we all had our favorites and maybe not the same speaker this time like in the $1,000... which was more of a shootout, since I was looking for a pair of speakers.

However, we (actually I) did promise the manufacturers we would not rank the speakers, although some of us might mention our favorite.

Quote:
ajinfla wrote: View Post
Remarkably so for an self described "Alabama Redneck" .
That would be Alabama Redneck Hillbilly, please!

Quote:
ajinfla wrote: View Post
Now, here's the twister. You repeat your listening (with optimal positioning etc) under blind (ears only) conditions, find you most prefer a completely different speaker than the sighted test.
You repeat the sighted test and the original wins again.
Which do you buy for your final decision/"listening" pleasure, the one your ears preferred, or your eyes/ears/etc, etc?
Good question... it would be a good test.

Quote:
DougReim wrote: View Post
What a great report, I really appreciate all the time and effort that you guys put into this. I had just about made up my mind to get the 60's for a 2 channel room I'm setting up and because of this report I just ordered the 60's in Piano Black and should have them by Friday.
We will be looking forward to your impressions.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #868 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 11:08 AM
Shackster
Doug

We will be looking forward to your impressions.

And you will get them.
After having Paradigm Monitor 11's in my main TV room for 10 years I recently upgraded to the Aperion Verus Grands. It came down to the Aperions, Paradigm 60's or 100's and I also liked the Monitor Audio RX8's. I thought they were all very nice speakers and I really liked the Studio line but in the end I just wanted to try something different. I plan on using the 60's in a different room but before I do I'll put them in the TV room and A/B them with the Aperions. I'm curious myself as to how they compare but when I was auditioning them before I thought they were more similar than different but I never could audition the Paradigm's in my home so it will be interesting to see how they stack up to one another in a direct comparison.
post #869 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 11:54 AM
Shackster

colofan

I see the results and two items jump out at me. The models that you preferred were easier to setup and looking at the graph off-axis measurements bore this out (all about the power response).
Dynamics was another on how linear were they operating in when you were using them, power compression testing would bear this out....Thanks for the testing and comments.
post #870 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 11:58 AM
Shackster

Quote:
After Hours Fun... with a Few Surprises!

As a bonus to our members and readers, we will also be reviewing a $20,000 two-channel system. This review will be published later in our Reviews forum, but we will introduce you to the company and the products during the event. This system is truly to die for... just plain awesome and worth every penny of its price.

But that's not all... we plan to enjoy a little late night fun at Cedar Creek Cinema, and this event is sure to spark some excitement with a special guest, who will also be providing a truly unique 5.0 home theater speaker system (costing well over $10,000) for us to review. This will be the first review of this product. Our plans will be to watch a movie each night of the evaluation, hopefully Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Then on Sunday evening and Monday, we plan to do more testing and evaluation for a complete review of this speaker system, which will also be posted later in our Reviews forum. I don't think you will want to miss this review. We will announce the manufacturer, the owner and the product a little closer to the event.
Did I miss this part?

Also, I would like to thank everyone for the hours of fun reading. Very enjoyable