The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 88 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #871 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Unfortunately the $20K system did not work out... nor did we have time to review it anyway. We did get to the Seaton Catalyst 8c review and that will be published separately. There are several comments about that throughout the thread. Being a long thread, it could easily be missed.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 12:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Was the $20k system from the manufacturer that was to become another HTS sponsor? Or was that Seaton?
post #873 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 12:12 PM
Shackster

Doing some further thinking about what I think I "need" vs what I think I "want", and what my current system does for me:

colofan's remarks about a perceived preference for speakers that were easier to set-up and had good off-axis response has me thinking I need to lean more towards that type of speaker. Whatever I use for 2-ch listening would also be applied towards multi-channel music and HT use (I cannot fathom a situation where separate speaker systems would work for me).

So something that can adequately provide a good listening experience to the other listening positions while watching a movie is going to be important. Finicky MLP sweet-spots simply aren't going to cut it if it means significantly sacrificing clarity everywhere else.

Sigh...what to do, what to do? (And of course, the point is very much moot while my current mains keep chugging along and my budget is constrained by reality.)

I guess I'll sit back and wait for the hypothesized bookshelf evaluations to add even more data points to my already confused mind.

But once again, thanks everyone who participated in the evaluations - I know I don't know very much about speakers, but now I don't even know if I realize how little I know!

shinksma
post #874 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Was the $20k system from the manufacturer that was to become another HTS sponsor? Or was that Seaton?
Neither have any intentions of becoming a sponsor that I know of. The Sanders System was the $20K system... and I don't think he does much advertising, but I don't think we would be that great of a market for him anyway. I am not sure about Mark... I have not really discussed sponsorship with him. I generally prefer potential sponsors come to us, as I am not a very good solicitor... or salesman, if you will.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #875 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 12:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Wryker

Speakers are (IMO) the backbone of the entertainment system and buying quality ones will last through HDMI specification changes, 2D, 3D, 4D, UHD etc! Unlike other HT components speakers will last a long time. As in my prior post: I'm not in a position to afford these speakers though if I did I appreciate the lengths your team went through testing these out.
post #876 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 12:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Neither have any intentions of becoming a sponsor that I know of. The Sanders System was the $20K system... and I don't think he does much advertising, but I don't think we would be that great of a market for him anyway. I am not sure about Mark... I have not really discussed sponsorship with him. I generally prefer potential sponsors come to us, as I am not a very good solicitor... or salesman, if you will.
Wow I must be losing it I remembered that there was going to be a review of a product by a company that was going to be a new sponsor, and that it would be revealed sometime during this event. I need a vacation.
post #877 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 12:53 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
shinksma wrote: View Post
colofan's remarks about a perceived preference for speakers that were easier to set-up and had good off-axis response has me thinking I need to lean more towards that type of speaker. Whatever I use for 2-ch listening would also be applied towards multi-channel music and HT use
That is the kind of speaker which, generally speaking, tends to meet our listening requirements the best, FWIW.
post #878 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Wow I must be losing it I remembered that there was going to be a review of a product by a company that was going to be a new sponsor, and that it would be revealed sometime during this event. I need a vacation.
lol... You are right, and you are not losing it, but I give you permission for a vacation anyway... for remembering so well

In the very beginning we were going to review a new speaker from Jon Lane and announce Chane Music & Cinema as a new sponsor, but he could not get the prototype to me in time. He is actually still working on it and I hope we eventually get to review it. In the meantime, we went ahead and announced the merger and basically a continued sponsorship with the new company.

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #879 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 01:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Phew, glad to know I'm not making things up. OTOH, this offers absolutely zero proof that I am not And I just got back from vacation. With the kids. Which is why I need a vacation! And why I'm I'd better terminate this endless loop . . .
post #880 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Quote:
shinksma wrote: View Post
a perceived preference for speakers that were easier to set-up and had good off-axis response has me thinking I need to lean more towards that type of speaker...
I think a lot of people would do well to give a lot of consideration to this when choosing speakers.
When the speaker placement is predetermined as it is in many situations this becomes even more important.