The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 89 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #881 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 03:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
shinksma wrote: View Post
I know I don't know very much about speakers, but now I don't even know if I realize how little I know! shinksma
Agreed. Most of my friends think of me as being knowledgeable, and I owe most of that to this review panel. It's incredible how much I have learned from this crew, and to other members here at HTS, over the past few years.
Consider 2 people asking for speaker selection advice:
1) OC audio nut who has flexible placement options available and the interest / time to put into attaining perfection.
2) Non OC who likes quality but wants to throw speakers where his wife gives him permission, hook them up and enjoy. WAF limits tweaking to a few inches.
Friend #1 may be walked through this thread, and joined on excursions to 20 different purveyors of fine audio products.
Friend #2 could appreciate saving some time and being assisted on a trip to the 3 closest Paradigm dealers to assist with haggling over the 'Digm in his dime range.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #882 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 04:04 PM
Shackster

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

What happened to the ESLs?
post #883 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 04:31 PM
Shackster

Quote:
balor1eye wrote: View Post
What happened to the ESLs?
See this post by Sonnie:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post651271

In brief:

Something Went Wrong, possibly in shipping.

To be reviewed later, separately.

shinksma
post #884 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 04:39 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Another thing to keep an eye on if planning to have speakers close to the wall is the location of the bass reflex port. A rear port will sound REALLY boomy close to the wall. A front port gives a lot more flexibility (remember that any speaker will have increased bass by being close to the wall, it just gets a lot worse if there is a rear port).

Rear port designs seem to be most common. The Studio 60's have dual ports, so it is medium sensitive to wall placement.
post #885 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 05:18 PM
Shackster

Well it looks like the Paradigms were the favorite from what I gathered. That's the company I was pulling for simply because I own a pair of them....not the ones tested though, I just have the Monitor 7's. They are so clear and crisp to my ears. Anyway, thanks again for the great detailed review and I'll be sure to check in on the next speaker evaluation you guys do!
post #886 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 06:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Regarding SVS imaging and soundstage, keep in mind it was the only d'appolito arrangement of all the speakers being tested. In my experience, it's difficult for such an alignment to achieve as good of imaging - all else equal - as a high frequency driver with no drivers above it. The driver above it can cause comb filtering, narrowing the dispersion pattern of the high frequency driver.
post #887 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 06:27 PM
Shackster
David

This a a great idea, I wish that there was one done before I bought my speakers AV 123. My setup is okay except the subs they have been a problem since new replaced amps once, no longer in business so I am stuck with these. Shootouts for setups front center and rears as well as subs would be much appreciated.

Thanks
post #888 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 08:20 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Regarding SVS imaging and soundstage, keep in mind it was the only d'appolito arrangement of all the speakers being tested. In my experience, it's difficult for such an alignment to achieve as good of imaging - all else equal - as a high frequency driver with no drivers above it. The driver above it can cause comb filtering, narrowing the dispersion pattern of the high frequency driver.
Actually, I believe that it is not a d'appolito array. The crossovers are different for the two 6.5 inch drivers. The upper crosses to the tweeter at 2 kHz and the lower woofer comes in at 700 Hz.
post #889 of 1075 Old 11-18-13, 09:01 PM
Shackster
Jared

I commend you guys on what must have been a herculian task. Great to see each speaker optimized for its listining position.
post #890 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 06:02 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
Fazorcat wrote: View Post
Well it looks like the Paradigms were the favorite from what I gathered. That's the company I was pulling for simply because I own a pair of them....not the ones tested though, I just have the Monitor 7's. They are so clear and crisp to my ears. Anyway, thanks again for the great detailed review and I'll be sure to check in on the next speaker evaluation you guys do!
Actually, my preference was for the Dynaudio. The Paradigm would be my second choice, though close.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.