The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:35 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
omholt wrote: View Post
It's a very difficult task to evaluate speakers that are so different. They need to be placed differently, each one optimized based on measurements. And is one going to deal with the backwave from dipoles or not? If not, they will sound very different from a speaker with a baffle because of all the reflections that are coming off from the frontwall.
Well all things considered Sonnie and team have a dedicated room that is well treated and if you notice in the graph up top, very well controlled. That will lend its hand to being able to make an equal comparison to the best of anyone's ability. In the last evaluation they scrutinized every speaker as far as proper placement was concerned and no doubt they will do the same thing in this evaluation as well. They worked tirelessly and late in the night to achieve the best results possible and being in a room that is treated will help all speakers for the most part and level the playing field if you will. It will be a great evaluation and a very fair one at that. I'm really looking forward to this eval and the few to follow. I am intrigued by the emerald physics speakers but at the same time due to what was stated in the reviews at RMAF, I'm really looking forward to the SVS evaluation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:37 AM
Shackster

david yurik

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
JQueen wrote: View Post
This is going to be a great read, can't wait for the $250 dollar shoutout
I just picked up two sets of polk RTI A4's right there in that $250 dollar range! Bring on the $250!!

Quote:
mpednault wrote: View Post
A DIY versus Manuf. evaluation would be incredible and would most likely let those of us building DIY speakers if there truly is fruit to be had of our labor. Although I can't afford a pair of $2500 speakers, this will be an interesting read. I enjoy reading listening impressions over interpreting graphs.
Absolutely would love the DIY vs. Manuf. Vote #2 here.

Quote:
jaymz wrote: View Post
What! No Bose?????? Jim
Ha no bose!!

Quote:
gfrancis0 wrote: View Post
I have not seen this posted anywhere, although it may exist somewhere on the web. I would absolutely LOVE to see a blind comparison of the CABLES used in this test versus generic, if only a quick one. I notice that you are using XLR cables, which I always thought were only a benefit for longer runs between components, is that the case for this test? If you could at least test the speaker wires versus generic 12 gauge wire from Monoprice or whatever. Not sure how much of a premium the RAM cables command, but it adds up fast when you are running a 7.x or 9.x system. I realize that RAM is a sponsor, but I would hope that you could indulge us. Especially when it comes to digital cables, like HDMI, I fail to see how one cable could be better than another, so long as it actually works, since they transmit only 1s and 0s.
I read a really interesting article where the tester ( unbeknownst to the listeners ) swapped in a coat hanger to replace the pricey RCA cables. Not one listener noticed anything. I too would love to see a double blind on the cable debate / myth?!?!

If I may suggest - please include some information about the people doing the evaluation. I always find it helps me to know what the judge likes and listens to at home. Thanks for the coming evaluation!!

Dave
post #83 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:38 AM
Shackster

Well, this would definitly be something to look forward too. Speakers look great and i would be happy to help out on this great ooportunity
post #84 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:40 AM
Shackster

Daddieo

My System

Wow, what a selection. Looking at just the features of the 6 my guess is for the CS2P's or the SVS Ultra's coming out on top. I was wondering, are there any plans to throw in the Arx A5's and give them a head to head against the choosen one from this competition? It might be considered counter produtive to what you are doind but would be very insightful.
post #85 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:47 AM
Shackster
Claude

Nothing like putting people in the drool mode over all this great gear. Excuse me while I go and get my Lobster Bib to keep my clothes intact!
post #86 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:53 AM
Shackster
Eskimo

That's such a cool event, and a great idea... I am secretly pulling for the MartinLogan's, but am quite interested to see how it finally plays out.

The detail in the $1,000 speaker thread was impressive, looking forward to seeing this!
post #87 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 09:58 AM
Shackster
Jared

Quote:
claudej1 wrote: View Post
Nothing like putting people in the drool mode over all this great gear. Excuse me while I go and get my Lobster Bib to keep my clothes intact!
My thoughts exactly!

I commend you guys on this task. It wont be easy, but it looks like fun!
As a ML panel user and dipole fan i am quite impressd to see your selection.

Will be watching this thread!

Will the speakers be adjusted for ach listener? I know my panels angle in reference to my listening height is crucial and yet is rarely considered when people compare panels to conventical cones and domes.
post #88 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
intgenx wrote: View Post
I suggest a future evaluation include some Active speakers in the price range like the Neumann KH310 too - so as to get a better idea how the studio/pro grade stuff compares to these hi-fi stalwarts...
We do want to have an evaluation on active speakers and have discussed it for a future evaluation. It is indeed an excellent idea.

Quote:
perceval wrote: View Post
With that in mind, I have to ask (and maybe suggest), because most of the time this company is overlooked (and I have to root for products coming from my adopted country!), but would it be possible to add some products by Usher?

Usher speakers have always surprised me as being up there with most of the greats, but seldom gets the attention. (I just own some Usher products, I have no part in the company!

Enjoy the shootout (that means no Halloween party ending too late!)
Absolutely... let's be sure to nominate Usher when we have our next nomination thread. I have read a lot about Usher, particularly back when I was helping out at Next Level Audio Video forum.

I forgot all about it being Halloween. Hmmm... maybe some more surprises are in order.

Quote:
tane0019 wrote: View Post
Have you already nail down the materials to be use ?
(ie which CDs, ablums ?)

Materials chosen should be able to test out the speakers dynamics, vocal presentation, bass extension & etc ...
(comparing speaker to speaker in the same setup).
Not yet, although we have some favorites we will use that are pretty demanding... and we use the same music for every speaker.

Quote:
Vin Vendel wrote: View Post
You could go even further and not tell which speaker it is playing and let the listeners go in blindfolded and write down hearingimpressions after each listening. In that way the brain canīt add attributes to the speaker they have read articles about.
That is actually a good idea, although it might get time consuming. I thought I would have some bias towards some speakers in our last shootout. For example... never read anything but good about Vandersteen and fully expected them to do VERY well in the evaluation, however, while not bad, they were not nearly as good as the others.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #89 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 10:06 AM
Shackster

I'm glad to see that you chose to include the Paradigm Studio 60s v.5. I almost bought them two years ago, but elected to go with their bigger brother the 100s, primarily because I just couldn't except the look of the smaller drivers. It had nothing to do with the sound and shouldn't have influenced my choice, but what can I say. In hindsight, I should have gone with the 60s, because now I have the awesome SVS SB13 Ultra and probably do not need what the 100s provide over their little brother. Anyhow, I'm very interested in how they rate as the Studio line was my choice when I went through the evaluation process in 2011.
post #90 of 1075 Old 10-19-13, 10:07 AM
FJR
Shackster

Wow, I guess I am not alone in looking forward to this review! I have long thought that the team approach to audio review in a dedicated location should be the standard. I also feel that one should create an audition library to use on all reviews. Granted, this content can/should evolve over time but helps keep things relative.

While I am not in the market for this level of speaker I always want to know what to recommend for those who could be - we need to increase participation in this hobby. Thanks for doing this!