The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 90 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #891 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 08:16 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Actually, my preference was for the Dynaudio. The Paradigm would be my second choice, though close.
This is where I was as well - these two were almost interchangeable albeit with a slight lean to the Dynaudio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #892 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 08:27 AM
Shackster

Steve

My System

When I was auditioning Paradigms the 2nd choice was Dynaudio. Very similar to me. I ended up with Studio 100's but could have lived with either one. The Paradigm dealer gave me a better deal.
post #893 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 10:17 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
Quote:
Fazorcat wrote: View Post
Well it looks like the Paradigms were the favorite from what I gathered. That's the company I was pulling for simply because I own a pair of them....not the ones tested though, I just have the Monitor 7's. They are so clear and crisp to my ears. Anyway, thanks again for the great detailed review and I'll be sure to check in on the next speaker evaluation you guys do!
Actually, my preference was for the Dynaudio. The Paradigm would be my second choice, though close.
This is where I was as well - these two were almost interchangeable albeit with a slight lean to the Dynaudio.
Did not come right out and say it in the main evaluation posts, but the DM 3/7's were the winners for me, too, in spite of the bottoming out on the Star Trek track. The tightness of image, image clarity, and image depth acuity were all the best of the group, with the Studio 60's a very close second. The high end, in spite of the slight rolloff, was the best there for that room.

A very close match, and the Studio 60's might very well have come out ahead in a different room.
post #894 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 11:00 AM
Shackster

What a great event. The amount of work sounds incredible as it always is for these type of things, but it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. When you have a hobby, or love doing something (like listening to and talking about audio), the whole thing is fun even with all the work. Congratulations and thank you for the evaluation.

I know generalizations are just that but it seems the Dynaudios and Paradigms were the most liked by the most people. Not surprising these two did very well. I have always loved Dynaudio speakers. I think they always have a really smooth sound - very easygoing and non-fatiguing. Even in their relatively inexpensive speakers, there is always a sense of the hi-end - a feeling that you are listening to a hi-end, quality speaker. I don't think I've ever heard a Dynaudio model that I would say was a bad or even mediocre speaker.

Personally, I have not been as attracted to some Paradigm models, but that is clearly personal preference as they are immensely popular and well loved by a lot people, both professional audio reviewers and everyone else. I am not surprised these were perhaps the favorite of many at the evaluation.

What is interesting, maybe not surprising, is that the Dynaudio and Paradigm are usually considered to be very different and liked by different listeners. Dynaudio uses soft-dome tweeters which gives that smooth non-fatiguing sound, while Paradigm uses metal tweeters that are usually considered very accurate and lively but can cause some fatigue. Interesting that many individuals seemed to really like both of these. Goes to show that a good speaker design is probably more important than materials in the drivers, etc.

BTW, I've looked repeatedly but I can't find any mention of the MartinLogan Electromotion ESL. It was listed before the event as being included but then didn't seem to be there, and I can't find something saying why they were dropped. I was looking forward to seeing people's impressions of these in relation to the other speakers, in particular the Magnepans, as I have played around with these at Best Buy/ Magnolia and find them very interesting. Pretty amazing on vocals and upper midrange, but a little lacking in lower mid range and bass.
post #895 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 11:11 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
NewHTbuyer wrote: View Post
Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Regarding SVS imaging and soundstage, keep in mind it was the only d'appolito arrangement of all the speakers being tested. In my experience, it's difficult for such an alignment to achieve as good of imaging - all else equal - as a high frequency driver with no drivers above it. The driver above it can cause comb filtering, narrowing the dispersion pattern of the high frequency driver.
Actually, I believe that it is not a d'appolito array. The crossovers are different for the two 6.5 inch drivers. The upper crosses to the tweeter at 2 kHz and the lower woofer comes in at 700 Hz.
Correct, although I did not verify the exact frequencies, implemented that way to overcome the very difficulties pointed out by SteveCallas.

Although such an array can have its difficulties, I like that the center of the mid driver image (in between the two) and the tweeter fall right on top of each other. With proper integration, image is killer. Granted, it may be a challenge to achieve. Two examples which I have been recently introduced to where they got it just right: Vapor Stiff Breeze and PTE Phoenix SG.
post #896 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 11:31 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
NYPete wrote: View Post
I have always loved Dynaudio speakers. I think they always have a really smooth sound - very easygoing and non-fatiguing.
Exactly what I loved about them, so easy to listen to.

Quote:
BTW, I've looked repeatedly but I can't find any mention of the MartinLogan Electromotion ESL. It was listed before the event as being included but then didn't seem to be there, and I can't find something saying why they were dropped. I was looking forward to seeing people's impressions of these in relation to the other speakers, in particular the Magnepans, as I have played around with these at Best Buy/ Magnolia and find them very interesting. Pretty amazing on vocals and upper midrange, but a little lacking in lower mid range and bass.
The ESL'S we received had a problem and we decided not to try to evaluate them with that disadvantage. There is a fresh pair on the way to my house as we speak, and a full review will be posted. Although they will not be evaluated in the same room, I have two rooms to test them in with pretty good characteristics, and will complete the evaluation in a way that covers all the same points, and with the same assumptions and limitations, as we did the others. Being a full review, there will be additional areas covered, too. Like you, I will be interested in hearing how they compare to the Magnepans, and will do my best to do so, given the limits of audio memory. I did take lots of notes on the Magnepans to refer to while completing that review. Of course we did not do direct comparisons or ranking this round, but the general contrasts can not help but be inferred. I love the panel sound in general, so this will be a particularly fun review to complete.
post #897 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 11:41 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
NYPete wrote: View Post
What is interesting, maybe not surprising, is that the Dynaudio and Paradigm are usually considered to be very different and liked by different listeners.
We located each speaker set for best sound in the room. The Paragidms and Dynaudios ended up placed in almost the same spots, but aimed quite differently. That might have had somewhat of an "equalizing" effect on the sound. Only a guess.
post #898 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 12:03 PM
Senior Shackster

Any idea when the Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL review will be compiled? My wife and I are very interested in these speakers characteristics for home theater and 2 channel music and just how much space do these need to get optimal performance from them. She says if they are up to her standards (she has very high standards by the way) than she will see if we can work them into the budget along with a new AVR. I love my wife!
post #899 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 12:56 PM
Shackster

Quote:
ericzim wrote: View Post
Any idea when the Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL review will be compiled? My wife and I are very interested in these speakers characteristics for home theater and 2 channel music and just how much space do these need to get optimal performance from them. She says if they are up to her standards (she has very high standards by the way) than she will see if we can work them into the budget along with a new AVR. I love my wife!
So do I.
post #900 of 1075 Old 11-19-13, 01:04 PM
Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Like you, I will be interested in hearing how they compare to the Magnepans, and will do my best to do so, given the limits of audio memory. I did take lots of notes on the Magnepans to refer to while completing that review. Of course we did not do direct comparisons or ranking this round, but the general contrasts can not help but be inferred. I love the panel sound in general, so this will be a particularly fun review to complete.
Definitely looking forward to this. Listening to some jazz on the ESLs compared to a nice pair of B&Ws at Magnolia, the horns and vocals sounded like they were in the room in a way the B&Ws couldn't match, but the B&Ws really swung and got you feeling that swing music more than the MartinLogans. I'll be especially interested to hear your impressions of their reproduction of vocals/piano/horns.