The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 93 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #921 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 09:01 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
ajinfla wrote: View Post
...Btw, polar response and spatial perception are related. I keep seeing thing stated here as if they aren't...
While that has not been made a huge point of in these discussions, it is understood on our part and has been mentioned, or at least implied, in various posts. Thank you for the clarification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #922 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 09:13 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Thanks AudiocRaver and also to clarify myself, in my first paragraph response to Sonnie, Harman wasn't testing for "dynamics",etc. so we are in further agreement there.
post #923 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 09:18 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
Each has its own use, but unfortunately, I would guess 99.85% of readers will misinterpret both equally.
Yes, all you can do is state your conditions and assumptions... over and over, as we do... the rest is up to the reader.

Quote:
The Harman tests confirmed that the majority of listeners prefer less, not more, native (speaker itself) amplitude distortion...and found that the majority of listeners will prefer less polar response distortion from monopoles in a wider variety of rooms....blind. That's it.
A good summary of a worthwhile study. While our tests do not compare to the Harmon tests directly, there is nothing in our findings that I personally can see being incompatible with, or in conflict with, the Harmon study findings as stated.

Thanks again.
post #924 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
Btw, polar response and spatial perception are related. I keep seeing things stated here as if they aren't.
Are you saying the north pole has something to do with the old guy in the red suit and raindeer flying through space?

Quote:
Folks really, really should audition speakers themselves, preferably in their own rooms, but that, is also unfortunately, not realistic.
We really try to emphasize this ... and do so more than we ever have. It is unfortunate for those that do not have the ability. If you could somehow narrow it down to two or three and get those in your home for a trial, it would be worth the return shipping on the other two for you to have the ability to listen to each one.

-------------------------

What if Harman took each speaker and placed it for optimal imaging, soundstage width and depth acuity, then each listener given a chance to listen to those characteristics. Would they have chosen the same speakers?

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #925 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 10:41 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Are you saying the north pole has something to do with the old guy in the red suit and raindeer flying through space?
The existence of Santa has never been demonstrated under double blind conditions (unrelated to alcohol consumption).

Quote:
What if Harman took each speaker and placed it for optimal imaging, soundstage width and depth acuity, then each listener given a chance to listen to those characteristics.
If if and buts were candy and nuts...
Actually, I asked the same thing. , I didn't even get a response about specific data on the "acoustically transparent screen" (and not just the on axis attenuation characteristics).
And what happens when they played "Tricycle" at AJ levels, or that Roger Waters(?) track at Sonnie levels, etc, etc? But I do agree with what they did find, with caveats.

Quote:
Would they have chosen the same speakers?
Don't be silly. They would have chosen mine, unanimously.

cheers
post #926 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I would be 'amused to death' at you riding a 'tricycle'!!!

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #927 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 11:14 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
I would be 'amused to death' at you riding a 'tricycle'!!!
Yeah, like the Dynaudio woofers, you'd probably crack up
post #928 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 11:21 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Alright, break it up you two.

What we are running into is a redefinition of what a speaker's sound is.

Classic definition is on-axis.

We are defining it, for our purposes, as a pair set up with soundstage and imaging optimized. Would have liked to see the reactions of test subjects with the soundstage of the Dynaudio or Paradigm or Arx as we had them set up.
post #929 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Cedar Creek Cinema

post #930 of 1075 Old 11-20-13, 11:42 AM
Senior Shackster

prerich

Once again, I love what you guys have done here. I have a theory that personal taste, culture, and age can dictate our choices in speaker preference. I love that it was called an evaluation rather than a shoot-out. A shootout implies a winner or "I'm better than you". An eval just looks at the speaker as it is, points out personal preferences and allows the product to be exactly what it is. I'm learning to enjoy different aspects of speaker design. I'm a horn man myself - but I like what other speakers can bring to the table!!!!

It's just all good